A pet products company has today recalled thousands of magnetic cat flaps after discovering that the magnetism used was four times stronger than necessary.
The error came to light after vets reported several injured felines who had sustained damage after the magnetic cat flaps slammed shut on their fragile little limbs.
Following the warning being issued several pet owners complained to the company.
We interviewed Maria Smith, owner of Tiny Tim, a tortoiseshell in a neck brace, who explained that she had noticed Tiny's collar picking up stray bits of metal from the scrapyard where she works,"It was a real effort for him to get to his bowl for food," she explained, "I didn't realise he was fighting the forces of magnetism to get past all those scrapped cars."
Of course, Maria realised what the problem was after the giant swinging magnet in the yard was powered up and poor Tiny was propelled backwards towards it and left suspended by his collar for 10 minutes. "We had to power down the magnet and catch him in a blanket," said a tearful Maria.
Fellow complainant, Mark Mywerd of Cardiff, a bike enthusiast, was shocked to find his mother's cat, Fluffy, stuck to the side of his Harley after a 20 mile bike ride through country lanes, "She was scratched to bits," he said, "Mum's still picking tarmac out of her fur now and she won't set foot out of the door."
The saddest case reported so far,however, has to be the mystery tabby who was stuck to the front grille of a container lorry for 4 days before the lorry drivers pals' realised he wasn't actually a teddy bear. The driver is looking after the traumatised pet until the owner can be found.