This was ANFIELD: Devastated Tom Hicks, the former Liverpool FC co-owner, who has been the victim of a 'conspiracy', has warned that the already protracted saga is not over and voiced his anger at the manner with which he lost control of the club, calling it 'an organised conspiracy'.
Tom Hicks explained;
- "I can't go into the details but I can confirm the funds were available to pay off Royal Bank of Scotland entirely but between Royal Bank of Scotland, the chairman and the employees that conspired against us, they would not let us."
"They were people I thought were our friends, people I thought were loyal, and I was wrong."
Former manager Rafael Benitez also came under fire as Tom Hicks defended himself and fellow owner George Gillett against claims that they had not provided the necessary financial support. Tome Hicks explained further;
- "We spent £300million on players, £150million net - I think it's the second or third highest in the English Premier League,' he said. 'You never read about that in the media."
"I read a very interesting article in which Alex Ferguson said "Rafa had more money to spend than the rest of us, he just bought bad players. Rafa lost the club. We didn't finish at the top - that's not the fault of the owners, we spent good money. Rafa has to take accountability for his own results."
There are those who readily agree with Tom Hicks, such as Joe, from Cheshire;
- "Liverpool fans need to wake up. Hicks and Gillett invested £300million on new players. The only people to blame for Liverpools sorry state of affairs is Rafa Benetiz and the players!"
Internationally an observer from Helsinki in Finland, Pertti Soini, observes;
- "This is somehow shocking. It is true that they made mistakes, but at the same time they invested a lot and can't be blamed for Rafa's mistakes. How are they treated in courts when it comes to their assets? Why the hurry to sell just to this this one buyer? Someone ought to take a closer look."
Keiron a self confessed Liverpool FC supporter writes;
- "Although I'm a Liverpool fan I do feel sorry for Hicks and Gillett. Yes they did run out of money, but part of the reason was giving that Spanish IDIOT tens of millions to spend on poor player's not fit to wear the liverpool shirt!!!!!!"
Peter from Essex agrees with Kieron;
- "Not being a Liverpool supporter,my view is the villain is Rafael Benitez he is the one who bought a lot of poor players that were not up to scratch,he was supported with vast sums of money that was wasted,I am not a lover of Alex Ferguson but he is right about Rafael Benitez."
Nick from London gives a warning;
- "We've not heard the last of Hicks. He's lost £144 million. LFC have effectively gained that amount. It's a HUGE sum of money.
Hicks had the money to pay RBS before the deadline, yet was denied the chance to do so. He HAS been the victim of an epic conspiracy and I fully expect him to prevail.
They gave Rafa over £200 million. Which he wasted on Keane, Aquilani, Johnson etc. H&G also provided the cash to buy Torres and pay him and Gerrard over £50 million over 4 years. This ain't over."
Kit from Ipswich, reviews Liverpool FC's demise in another way;
- "Like most of the country, I have enjoyed Liverpool's rapid decline and the constant and continued scouse winging. I just hope the give Roy time and money to build a Liverpool team that win on merit and not (as the red half of Liverpool seem to think) because they have a great history and therefore a right to the top table!"
Whilst Eeore from England seems to relish more of the same;
- "Let's hope and pray, for the good of English football, that the new owners complete the work of Hicks and Gillett and take Liverpool down. Not that the Premier League and bent refereeing will allow that... but we can hope...."