Why the religious far right are targeting transgender people

Funny story written by IainB

Tuesday, 16 December 2014


The funny story you are trying to access may cause offense, may be in poor taste, or may contain subject matter of a graphic nature. This story was written as a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.

If you wish to back out now, please click here to go back to the home page.

image for Why the religious far right are targeting transgender people
fundamental religion, keeping people in the dark since 7000BC

A few years ago, the religious far right in America targetted gay people. They were classed as an abomination in the eyes of god, but in the last eighteen months, focus has shifted onto the transgender population instead.

At first glance there does not seem to be a reason for this.

The transgender men and women are trying to eke out lives the best they can in a binary gender weighted world, coping with the trials that not fitting in creates. The vast majority of people don't really care what gender a person they meet is, so being transgender isn't a problem.

But suddenly it is being made one by the religious far right. From issues about toilets, to scurrilous lies about sex pests in dresses. There are (estimated) three quarters of a million transgender people in the USA.

It could be that it is this small number that is appealing to the religious far right. The main purpose of any religion is to spread itself, and to do that it needs the maximum number of people it can get to spread. And the best way to get people to adhere to one religion over another is to create a 'them' and 'us'. But when a 'them' and 'us' is created, the 'them' is a section who will never be part of the religion, stopping it's spread.

Transgender people are the perfect target for the 'them'. Transgender people are not well understood by the vast majority of people, so while the vast majority of people couldn't care less, they also don't understand; this gives the religious right a wedge to drive. By exploiting the unknown, focusing on certain elements, and fabricating others, they can make the vast majority see transgender people as 'them', and therefore the religious far right as 'us'.

And fabricating stories the religious far right love, creating horror stories of rapists going into ladies loos or transgender children inappropriately touching other children in school locker rooms. Both sensational stories. Both reported in the media. Both untrue. The retractions were not so widely published, playing straight into the religious far right's hands. They knew the stories would be exposed as false, but they knew that though the original stories would be widely reported, the retractions wouldn't be.

And so, bit by bit, the religious far right are hoping to alienate the transgender population, a mere 0.3% of the US population; that leaves 99.7% of the population to join the religious far right.

So how do transgender people fight against this well funded, well disciplined and well connected religious far right? Through education. If the 99.7% understood, the religious far right's wedge would be blunted.

Are transgender people a menace to society? No. Absolutely not. It's a difficult life, and not one anybody would choose.

You will notice I have not specified which particular religion is doing this. And for good reason, all those that are considered 'fundamentalist' do this.

Now, I know this a satire and humour site, so,, here's a joke: How many religious fundamentalists does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to keep people in the dark. Baboom.

The funny story above is a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.

Do you dream of being a comedy news writer? Click here to be a writer!

Comedy spoof news topics
Go to top
readers are online right now!
Globey, The Spoof's mascot

We use cookies to give you the best experience, this includes cookies from third party websites and advertisers.

Continue ? Find out more