As 2014 approaches, it occurred to me recently that Spring of the upcoming year, marks the 20 year anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death. Cobain was the lead singer of the legendary band Nirvana. After his death, he was referred to in several publications as "The voice of his generation." Well, I don't know about all that but I do know . . .
10 Reasons Why Generation X 'ers Realize They May Be Getting Close To "Over The Hill
10. A black president twice? I'm getting old!
9. Remembers rolling on ecstasy in the rave scene around 2000 and popping Viagra, not because he needed it, but just to see what happened. Now he's starting to wonder if he will need to look into Cialis in the near future.
8. Gets annoyed while talking to twenty-something year old that claims he's an "Old School" punk, ya know, into bands like "Rancid" and early "Green Day".
7. Realizes that when Miley Cyrus was in her "Hannah Montana" days she was his own teenage daughter's role model.
6. At a music venue overhears hipster talking about an indie band saying, "Yeah, I was into them before anybody knew about them." Makes fun of the hipster to a peer saying, "Yeah this kid was rattling on about some 'indie' band he was into. Remember when we were in high school? It was called 'alternative' music. We were listening to underground stuff WAY before . . . . " OOPS! GUT CHECK!
5. Goes to a "Public Enemy" concert and observes that there were WAY more white people there than black.
4. At work reminisces with young, early twenty something co-worker, telling her how he could relate a lot to the main character in the movie "Office Space", because he was working in a corporate cubicle hell back in '99 when the film was released. Co-worker has never heard of the movie.
3. Talks incessantly about how boring millennial generation is. Talks about the glory days in the 90's when youth were wild and out of control, at least the pieces of the glory days he can recall.
2. Realization that pop culture is about due for another dead iconic rock star. Cobain died nearly twenty years ago.
1. At the end of a night of indiscretion resorts to paying for the "morning after pill" and thinks "Wow. This would have come in handy twenty years ago!"