Washington DC: Presidential Press Secretary Robert Gibbs announced that following the passage of a health care reform bill or a cap and trade bill, President Obama will focus on US deficit reduction.
The president asked House Speaker Pelosi to take the lead in reducing the deficit, thus spurring the economy (stupid) and creating jobs. The speaker impaneled a bipartisan Committee of 12 Democrats and one Republican.
After much deliberation a list of proposals was submitted to the president for his approval that will be called the Budget Reduction Initiative Tax (BRIT) Act, when passed by Congress. (The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office (CBO) needs to cost these proposals.) The BRIT Act mandates that:
- Cost of the Afghanistan war is paid for by an excise tax on each of the 50 states.
- Taxes are placed on interstate commerce between the 50 states.
- Military base housing is closed and Americans are required to billet and feed military forces (except the Navy).
- An Internet tax is levied on every computer and Blackberry type device in the 50 states. Social networks such as Twitter, Facebook and Myspace will also be taxed.
- A value added tax is levied on latex paint, electronics, cameras and imported tea and coffee to the 50 states.
- Each of the 50 states pays a tax for the cleanup of the National Mall in Washington DC after the various "Teaparties."
The Republican and Blue Dog Democratic response has been to schedule a Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia PA.