This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / A beer question for the British members.

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Trevelyan
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Apr 07 07:57
I have a question about the price of a certain type of beer over there. I drink New Castle Brown Ale. I pay about $7.00 or about 3.56 pounds for a six pack of glass bottles. Now I don't want to cause a big arguement over American beer vs English beer. I'm just wondering how badly I'm getting screwed on price because it's "imported".

Trevelyan
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 2 Apr 07 08:34
That sounds incredibly cheap to me.

A 4 pack of 550ml bottles (18.5 fl oz) costs £5.34 at ASDA. That's $10!

No one gets more stiffed on alcohol than the UK. It's even cheaper to drive down to Calais (northern France) and pick up a bottle of whisky even though it's distilled in Scotland, distributed from Scotland, probably goes past my house on its way to France.

I have a friend who takes his mum every year just before Christmas. They drive over to France with a trailer, go shopping in a big wine warehouse, fill up with booze, then drive home.

Spoofing all over the world
Trevelyan

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Apr 07 08:48
Huh. I would have thought it would be more expensive. I really can find it for about $7-$8 right down the block at my local grocery store. I'd hate having to pay the equivalent of $10 for a four pack even if they were 18 ounces.

On a related note, I've tried Guinness, I find the flavor...intresting, but I can't get past one simple fact, it has no carbonination. Now you can say that I've been spoiled by American beer, but I have to have carbonination. Now, when I told my friend who loves Guinness, he told me to try Harp. He said he himself has never tried it, but that he's heard it's sort of like Guinness but with carbonation. Any comments or comparisons you can make in regards to Harp? Does it taste anything like Brown Ale?

Trevelyan
Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 2 Apr 07 10:00 - Edited By: Mark Lowton, 2 Apr 07 10:05
I like to drink lager myself. I do like bitters but I'm not a big fan of stouts.

I don't pretend to be a beer connoisseur, although many people do try to be over here. I just go for the cheapest brand and I tend to stick with Carling, Carlsberg or Fosters. Sometimes the supermarkets have good offers on Stella too, but pubs and bars charge a premium for this. I also know a few local pubs with some foreign beers and I do quite like the German beer Warsteiner.

They do another beer called Fruli which I believe is Belgian. Fruli is a white beer mixed with fruit flavours. The only one I've had is a strawberry one. It tastes like jam. My fiance loves it but I find it too sickly. I've also tried an apricot beer and a honey beer. These tasted okay, but smelled like sweet sick!

I find Guinness too stodgy on its own. It's really heavy and your bowels don't thank you for it! It is very refreshing as a shandy though - that is, mixed with lemonade (that's the sprite/7up kind of lemonade, not the still stuff).

Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 3 Apr 07 15:58
Did anyone else take up Sainsbury's 25% off Wine offer last week?

I went on Sunday. I stocked up good and proper. I bought 12 bottles of Rose, 6 Bottles of white, 3 Bottles of red and 3 bottles of champagne.

It was a fantastic deal. Not only did you get the usual 5% off for buying 6 bottles, you got an extra 25% once that was knocked off.

I won't need to buy wine again for...well a few weeks. Marvellous!

Trevelyan

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 3 Apr 07 16:46
I can't drink wine. For some reason, no matter if I drink just a little or a lot, it gives me a headache the next morning. However, for some strange reason I can and do drink champagne without any ill effects.

Trevelyan
Cal Jennings
This user is offline Super Cal
Cal Jennings

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 28 Apr 07 22:34
Have any of you tried a GOOD Texas beer, like Lone Star? lol

Love, Hope, Peace, & Christ Be With You,

Cal-el

Never underestimate the power of The Spoof!
matthatt
This user is offline mad as a hatter
matthatt

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 30 Apr 07 14:51
aaahh beer, the cause of and solution to, all of lifes little problems.

Homer

first armoured infant tree
carina-eta
This user is offline Ice Queen of the North
carina-eta

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 28 May 07 21:14
can I just say ( and I am fully aware that I am joining a conversation on a subject that I know nothing about ie/ beer) that having worked in France, the big warehouses in Calais are v cheap and you get the same stuff as u would get in the UK at a fraction of the price, BUT the stuff they sell in the big warehouses ( where the booze cruises will take you) is the stuff the French won't drink. If you go an extra mile or two outside Calais, go to a little wine shop and u will get the wine cheap and very good quality too. Or better still take the weekend and travel out to a vineyard with a couple of empty plastic 2 litre coke bottles and fill up from the barrel at a couple of quid per litre and you get good quality too.( they only expect the French locals to be filling up empty plastic bottles you see so the best wine goes in there)
Does anyone know where you can get Kriek from in the UK , by the way.

Someone tried to make my life not worth living and NOW they're trying to kill me!

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum