This gave him energy, hope and courage. He decided not to miss the opportunity of seeing a city girl. When the woman handed him a plate, he took it with delight, but his eyes transfixed on the woman's hanging breasts in her dress. The woman sat loosely on the rock opposite him. Her dress was flowery; her clean-shaven legs without stockings; her toes varnished deep red. When she moved her legs, the shepherd's eyes caught a glimpse of her lingerie. Two bare arms clasping hands on her lap. Long fingernails varnished deep red. Her face was unlike his sisters, mother or relatives. Now the woman changed her place and sat next to him, gradually cutting her distance short. Next, the woman said:
• Yusef, honey, ain't you afraid at nights here? [The shepherd shrugged his shoulders.]
• Do you visit your mother? [No reply but the same shrugging.]
• Do you have a fiancée?
• Yusef turned purple. Now, the woman peeled a cucumber and put some salt on it. Next, she held it out, but Yusef refused to take it. Then, she brought the salted cucumber close to the shepherd's mouth and started rubbing it on his tight lips. After that, she tried, while laughing, to force them into his mouth, but Yusef firmly clenched his jaws. When the woman saw Yusef's timidity, she realized that he was afraid of her husband whose back was turned on them. After that, the woman called out her husband:
• Look, honey. our Son Yusef rejects my offer. The man turned around,laughing. Then he said:
• Make him eat, honey.
It was a dramatic moment in Yusef's life. He could not understand how these city men had lost their sense of honor and manhood. He had prepared himself for being threatened to death, if the man saw him touching his wife. Now the woman said:
• He doesn't mind at all. Open you mouth. Yusef did so. The woman started teasing his lips by pushing the cucumber in and out when Yusef snapped at the cucumber triumphantly. Later she grabbed his hand and caressed them. Next, she placed them on her lap. The woman called her husband:
• Honey, you go ahead with preparing the lunch while I am talking with my Son Yusef. Then she whispered in Yusef's ear, "I don't cook; he does." At this moment, the woman gently bit his lobe. Then, laughing, she said:
• Excuse me, I thought it was my husband's lobe.
(to be continued)