Forum Home / Login / Register

All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Monkey Woods

230 Pages - « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » »»
From General Discussion / Acronyms
Posted 4 Jan 19 11:26
Encounters now come often under nuclear treaty, especially Rome summit.

From News Discussion / 2019 To Be Much The Same As 2018
Posted 2 Jan 19 11:00

Hope it's a good one for you.

From News Discussion / Jamal Khashoggi Officially Forgotten About
Posted 1 Jan 19 15:20
I'm being absolutely honest with you, when I say that I don't know what you are talking about.

When I write a story - for example, about Trump or another politician - I am using the flimsiest of information that I might have read in 'the news', without knowing whether what I've read in 'the news' was true or not. What's more, I don't care whether it was true or not, because all I'm trying to do is write something that is funny, or would piss the politician off if he or she read it. That is how I get rid of my frustration about politicians, who I think, on the whole, are such terrible people.

I think that it's fair to say that only the earliest politicians were in the job 'for the good of the people', before bigger people gained control of governments, and used them for their own ends.

If it's of any interest to anybody, in the last few months, I've watched a lot of Adam Curtis documentaries. I can thoroughly recommend the 'Pandora's Box' series, especially number 1 about Russia's Gosplan, and the episode called 'The League Of Gentlemen', which is about the horrific economic decisions successive UK governments made in the 1960s/70s/80s. There's another one called 'Goodbye Mrs Ant' about DDT, and all kinds of lies the US government told Americans. Another series of his is 'The Power Of Nightmares', which, again, is about how governments tell fantastic lies to the public.

In one such example, the US government sets up a 'research' institute - Team B - to find out about secret Soviet weapons. Because, after they'd poured millions into the project without finding ANYTHING, they assumed not that the Soviets didn't have any such weapons, but that the Soviet weapons must be so advanced and so secretive, that they were undetectable, and, therefore, even more dangerous than Team B had suspected.

It was also guessed-at that, at the time, Soviet nuclear warheads numbered around 500, and so the US poured billions into matching this. Eventually, spy satellites revealed the Soviets had just 4 warheads.

Of course, maybe even Adam Curtis is making stuff up.

From General Discussion / British Humour v. American Humor
Posted 31 Dec 18 13:15

I don't feel the same way about you. I know nothing about you, other than things that you say about yourself on here. These are that you are mad, a nutter, and so on. Other than that, I don't know enough about you to make any kind of assessment.

I know, though, from the message you sent me, that you are angry about having one of your stories rejected. It was rejected because of the format it appeared in: a back-and-forth conversation between you and a CEO. That's not the format that Mark wants the news stories to be in.

If the truth be known, I could have redirected it to the Magazine. If you would like me to do that, just let me know, and I'll sort it.

Posted 30 Dec 18 07:25

Posted 30 Dec 18 03:56
Negligees - exotic girly lingerie. I get enormous erect stiffy.

Posted 28 Dec 18 13:28
Criticism rarely invites trouble, if critique is somewhat moderate

From News Discussion / Trump Pleased That Media Has Allowed Jamal Khashoggi Murder Case To 'Rest In Peace'
Posted 26 Dec 18 00:36
You're right, they were my own words, and I must admit I 'jumped the gun' when I read this:

Quote: Danny Williams

So the joke is in portraying Trump as some sort of scheming, evil scoundrel with no empathy, and a complete disregard for his fellow human beings?

I think that would be funny if ...

thinking that, with the last sentence, you had thought it 'unfunny'. In fact, I don't necessarily think much of what I write is either funny or accurate, but may be a reflection of how I think I feel at any given moment. Whether or not the stuff I read about Trump in 'the news' is true, he does himself no favours. That, I can see.

Up until recently, I didn't write too many political stories. Indeed, I wrote a lot of stuff about what had happened to myself, or that I had seen during my routine, everyday existence. Even this, however, met with unfavourable criticism from some quarters. 'Insignificant' I think was the word used, and it was mentioned that important subjects such as political ideologies were more worthy topics to write about.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Of course, this is TheSpoof.com, and all of those comments may just have been tongue-in-cheek...

From News Discussion / Trump Pleased That Media Has Allowed Jamal Khashoggi Murder Case To 'Rest In Peace'
Posted 25 Dec 18 12:29
Like I said, I only know about these people because I read about them in the news. If, after reading something negative about Trump, I then go on to write something that makes him sound even worse, is this wrong, or is it just 'not brilliant satire'?

I write many of the things I write because I'm frustrated about the way things are. If we take the Khashoggi case, for example. A man is killed. That's wrong, for a start. Then, all kinds of things are done to protect the people responsible. I don't expect Trump to go to Saudi Arabia to snap the handcuffs on, but playing down the death of a man, so that deals can be done, again, is wrong. The irony is that the US people will not benefit from those deals, and, indeed, may actually suffer as a result of them.

With that in mind, forgive me for a minute whilst I go and hammer together something 'not brilliant' about the current fuckwit president of the US.

From General Discussion / British Humour v. American Humor
Posted 25 Dec 18 12:11
...or anyone's insanity, if you know what I mean.

Posted 25 Dec 18 05:31
I don't think there is a single politician anywhere to whose fanbase I belong.

Trump is portrayed as a fool; who am I to argue? Everything I know about him, I got from 'the news'.

It's so difficult to know whether 'the news' is true or not, that I can't be absolutely sure that Donald Trump even exists.

Posted 24 Dec 18 04:41
Semiotics, eh? My interpretation of that, is 'communication science'.

Posted 24 Dec 18 00:43
Symbols? You mean 'banging', or lurid signs?

Posted 22 Dec 18 14:37
Obstreperosity: behaviour signifying trouble, rabble-rousing experiences, problemmatical escapades, riots, or situations involving temperamental yob.

From News Discussion / Catholic Priest Was "Only Joking" About Boy's Suicide
Posted 17 Dec 18 01:50
I expect that story from you later today, AB.

From Magazine Discussion / Feel Free to Do Something Disgusting While I'm Eating
Posted 15 Dec 18 05:50

From News Discussion / How Train Watching Replaced Spitting as America's Pastime
Posted 15 Dec 18 05:42

5 stars

Posted 13 Dec 18 05:27
Yodelling often delivers exquisite lyrical laments in nearby Grantham.

Posted 12 Dec 18 08:09

Posted 10 Dec 18 03:46

Yodellers often deliver excellent lyrical loveliness; especially rural Swiss.

Posted 9 Dec 18 12:51

Kettle: electrical tool that liquids enjoy!

Posted 7 Dec 18 10:07
Donald, orating nonsensically, à la duck.

From News Discussion / Sinéad O'Connor Has Grown A Muslim Beard
Posted 4 Dec 18 10:52
I don't know. There's something about your "Super! Great" comment that made me think you might not have meant it.

Are you sure you liked it? I thought it was OK, but nothing special.

Posted 2 Dec 18 15:00

Posted 2 Dec 18 13:51
Troglodytism: ritual of ghostly lore, often doing your tinkerings in someone's mind.

230 Pages - « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top