Written by Martin Kugler
Rating:

Share/Bookmark
Print this
Topics: Pentagon, Military

Wednesday, 3 December 2003

The US military has put on hold a controversial $380 deal to buy McHubert hamburgers.

The Pentagon said the deal would be frozen pending an inquiry into alleged wrongdoing by one of its former officials.

The employee in question is said to have discussed a possible job with McHubert prior to leaving government service and had played a key role in the Pentagon's decision to award the hamburger contract to McHubert.

Last week McHubert fired its finance chief for allegedly violating company recruitment policy and seeking to hire the former procurement official.

Deputy Defence Secretary Paul Wolfowitz said this move prompted him to order the freeze.

The employee went to work for McHubert in January this year, and was dismissed last month.

In a letter to Senate officials, Mr Wolfowitz said he had asked for a "pause" in the process of putting through the deal.

"I am asking the Department of Defense inspector general to provide to me an independent assessment of those allegations and any negative impact that improper conduct by Pentagon staff may have had on the negotiation of the contracts that the Air Force proposes to execute," he said.

He added the Pentagon would "consider" whether to proceed with the first phase of the contract once the investigation was complete.

But Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John Warner, while welcoming the decision, warned the Pentagon to allow legislators to review the results of the investigation before approving any purchase.

"Your recent actions clearly indicate that there are many outstanding questions that must be answered before proceeding with this programme," he said in a letter to Mr Wolfowitz.

The hamburger deal itself has been hugely controversial. Originally the Pentagon wanted to purchase cheeseburgers, but opponents in Congress objected and the compromise has been to buy hamburgers. The Air Force says it desperately needs the hamburgers, if the US military is to fulfil its global lunch commitments.

The deal has also been scrutinised by the Pentagon following earlier allegations that the employee had given McHubert access to information concerning a rival bid from GreaseBurger.

The new inquiry marks a setback for McHubert, which had hoped to draw a line under the affair by reshuffling its senior management. On Monday, it followed up the finance chief's dismissal by announcing the surprise resignation of its chief executive and chairman.

Earlier this year, the company was stripped of a $295.95 air force contract after it emerged that it may have won it by illegally acquiring information from archrival BurgerQueen. The firm has become more dependent on military contracts amid a sharp downturn in demand for fast food meals from recession-weary civil consumers.

Make Martin Kugler's day - give this story five thumbs-up (there's no need to register, the thumbs are just down there!)

The story above is a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.

If you fancy trying your hand at comedy spoof news writing, click here to join!

Print this

Related Stories...


Share/Bookmark

Mailing List

Get Spoof News in your email inbox!

Email:

What's 4 plus 2?

1 9 6 22

Go to top