New York - Cops searching the West Village home of Oscar winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman said today a suspicious wrap of toxic heroin may have killed him after similar poisonous substances were seized in New York in as part of an online Super Bowl 'party pack' scam.
The 46 year old movie actor was found dead in his bath tub at home this morning surrounded by discarded heroin wrappers, a spent hypodermic syringe still stuck in his arm.
Commenting on the tragedy a NYPD source said that samples of the drug sent for toxicology analysis appeared at first glance to look highly similar to the 'party packs' touted by a Manhattan-based ring that advertised it's Super Bowl 'specials' via public access television, the Internet and text message.
Last week prosecutors said 11 of the arrested 18 scam ringleaders had been caught red handed running a highly sophisticated operation selling kinky sex and an extensive narcotics menu.
Most of their supplies had been accounted for apart from a few hundred one-gram smack packs in their ever-popular Dr Feelgood Smack Service plastic bags.
A postmortem will be carried out early this week.