Radical new guidelines have been issued for social workers in England.
From April 1st, 2011 local authorities will be allowed to place children for adoption with families of a different ethnicity. Previously, social workers were reluctant to do so on the grounds that such an arrangement might prove problematic for the kids in later life.
Other measures could prove to be even more ground-breaking for the profession.
Henceforth, social workers will not have to :
- Wear long skirts,long woollen socks or pigtails. That will apply to females as well.
- Drive a Renault 4CV. They'll be allowed to drive cars that don't sound like clapped out washing machines.
- Carry round their work in plastic bags. They'll be issued with briefcases.
- Talk in English public school accents. Provincial dialects will now be permitted.
- Have their specs on a chain round their neck. They will be allowed to carry them in their pocket.