It is with great sadness that Buckingham Palace has confirmed today that one of Her Majesty's favourite corgis (Whippington - Barksworthy the third) exploded at the `Royal garden party yesterday after it ate a large amount of asparagus and cabbage pate.
Unfortunately W-B 3 ( as known in Royal circles ) had been suffering from chronic constipation for a number of weeks.
The Royal vet, Sir Hampton Lashworthy - Dykes had noted that the canine's stools had been a trifle hard to expel over recent days and W-B 3 had been seen crimacing and in pain just before the fatal explosion.
According to the Royal forensic team the most likely cause of the incident was a smouldering cigar butt discarded by one of the many ancient colonels standing around the top table. Forensic inspection shows that W-B 3 strained for relief and was surprised by a sudden and violent expulsion of "cork shaped" impacted excrement which was followed by a vortex of methane which in turn was ignited by the cigar, thus producing an explosion which would have measured about 6 on the Richter scale.
Unfortunately W-B3 came to rest in several parts of the garden, no one else was hurt although a large fruit compote did land on the head of Lady Baggingon-Tights.
The funeral will be a private (Royal) family affair at Windsor Castle next week.