Colorado Springs, Colorado (Obscure Sports Desk) - Missouri wrestler Ben Askren plans to tryout for the mysterious and recently-formed U.S. Olympic Funky Team.
The Funky Team hope to encourage a new look-and-feel to the Olympic games, following the unveiling of London's new funky logo for the 2012 Olympics.
Other potential team members include:
- Cartoon character Funky Winkerbean
- George Clinton with Parliament-Funkadelic
- Grand Funk Railroad
- "Marky" Mark Wahlberg and the Funky Bunch
- Tone Loc (and his 'Funky Cold Medina')
- Funky Larry Jones
- Black Eyed Peas (and their 'Don't Phunk with my Heart')
The squad is scheduled to compete in the 2008 Beijing Games. The team hopes they can get down some of the details and rules of their new twist to the sporting event before a full-out funk in 2012.