MEXICO CITY - About an hour before the San Antonio Spurs and the Minnesota Timberwolves were to have tipped off in an NBA game in Mexico a fire broke out towards the ceiling.
Smoke quickly engulfed the arena and it was evacuated. NBA officials hoped that they would be able to clear out the smoke and play the game but that was not to be.
Coach Gregg Popovich of the Spurs said that there was so much smoke in the arena that for a while he thought he was back in Colorado where people smoke marijuana all over the place.
Spurs guard Tony Parker remarked that they should have played the game in Paris, France, his hometown.
Manu Ginobili chimed in and said that it should have been played in his native Argentina.
Arena officials learned that the fire was caused by an electrical wire.
Chief Fire Marshall Ryan "Sparky" Rios stated that he was 99.97 percent sure that the infamous Chupacabra had chewed through one of the electrical wires
He explained that the Chupacabra had been spotted in the parking lot area of the arena just a few days before.
Rios was asked what made him so sure that it was the legendary Chupacabra and not a rat or a possum that had chewed the wire.
He took a sip from his flask of Jose Cuervo Tequila and grinned. He then pointed out that he had seen some Chupacabra droppings a few feet from the damaged wire.