Scientists in Bolton were stunned this morning when leading 'Fartologist' Leonard Crapper literally evaporated from the laboratory they were working in.
Colleague Marty Neebianco explained, 'Len was a maverick,he always said that a really violent fart in a built up area could cause a lot of local damage with the heat it could produce.
'When we heard the explosion we thought it must be the gas taps in the lab,but when we got there it was too late.His trousers were in tatters, a huge scorch mark had singed the back wall and all that remained were a pair of smoking safety boots.
'He's paid for his dedication with his life. That's never ideal but it's what he would have wanted.'