Following reports of escalating suicide rates at its Chinese manufacturing plant, Apple today unveiled its latest iDie product.
The new iDie computer, a heavily-customized iPad unit, has the following features:
- Slate, tombstone-shaped casing, inscribed with the birth and anticipated death date of the owner.
- Ice-cold-to-the-touch screen.
- Displays a dispiriting, de-motivational slideshow as a live wallpaper.
- Samaritans and Dignitas "assisted-dying" hotline telephone numbers pre-programmed into the phonebook.
- Browser home page set to the Times obituaries.
- Plays the MASH theme tune when switched on and Chopin's funeral march when switched off.
Apple CEO and Chief Funeral Director Steve Jobs commented:
"People are simply dying to get their hands on this machine. We're really going to make a killing from it."
The iDie will be made available worldwide from 31 October.