The unusually cold weather that struck Florida in January has killed at least 5 percent of West Indies manatees this year. That amounts to 280 in all.
What is the significance of this news?
* No more Manatee-ka-bobs
* McDonald's can no longer sell "Big Manatee with Fries and a Coke."
* Postponement of the Key West's annual Manatee Look-a-Like contest.
* Manatee linguini is no longer on the menu in Tampa's Cafe Roma restaurant.
* There'll be fewer Manatees watching America Idol.
* The Manatee Olympic Association won't be able to send its ski team to Vancouver
* Disneyland will have to cancel its Gay Manatee Convention
* The Miami violent crime rate will decrease due to fewer coke-head Manatees
* There'll be fewer Manatees selling Girl Scout cookies in Fort Lauderdale
* There'll be more room in the sea for Womanatees.