The original band was formed in El Cerrito, California. The four members were John Fogerty, lead vocals and lead guitar; his brother Tom Fogerty, rhythm guitar, Stu Cook, bass guitar, and Doug Clifford, drums. They first played under the name The Golliwogs. In 1967, they changed their name to Creedence Clearwater Revival.
CCR played a unique style of rock and roll music called Swamp Rock. And because of that Louisiana bayou music influence many people actually believed that they were from Louisiana.
TEN LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL
1. The band's original name was Clearwater Revival Creedence, but a record printer named Brinson Buttercourt misread and mispelled the name and the name on the LP (Long Playing) record label came out Creedence Clearwater Revival.
2. Lead singer John Fogerty started out playing the drums, but he soon developed a horrible allergic reaction to drumsticks and cymbals and so he switched over to the lead vocals and lead guitar.
3. The original title of the song hit "Fortunate Son" was "Fortunate Son-Of-A-Bitch, but when John Fogerty's 102-year-old grandmother Effy Mae heard it she said that she did not like the title and so the words 'Of-A-Bitch' were dropped.
4. When CCR performed their 1977 concert in Moscow before 80,000 fans they sang all of their songs in Russian, even the song "Green River" which has over 9,000 words.
5. CCR bass player Stu Cook named his twin boys Creedence and Clearwater.
6. The song "Green River" was originaly titled "Green Tambourine," but it was changed when (John) Fogerty learned that The Lemon Pipers already had a song by the same name.
7. John Fogerty was recently asked to join The Rolling Stones and replace lead singer Mick Jagger. He said that the other Stones feel that Mick who is 66, is just getting too old to be jumping around all over the stage.
8. The song "Down On The Corner" was originally titled "Down On The Pole Dancer" but it was changed for the obvious reason.
9. During CCR's 1973, Creatures of The Louisiana Bayou Swamp Tour, part of the stage prop decorations included 47 bamboo sticks, 19 crawfish, a glass case filled with over 80,000 mosquitoes, 3 adult alligators, and the Catahoula family from Coushatta, Louisana (two adults and nine children).
10. Lead singer John Fogerty played the lead in the 2003 HBO movie, The Matthew McConaughey Story.
In 2007, the Louisiana town of Turkey Creek, Louisiana legally changed its name to Creedence Clearwater Revivalville, Louisiana.