10. Needs more time to learn to speak extempore and without a European accent.
9. Did not want to become the head of third-world country.
8. Did not understand the President when he asked, "Would you like to avoid controversy and let somebody else in your party become Prime Minister?," in HINDI and she simply replied, "Yes."
7. Could not find a replacement to manage the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation slush fund operations.
6. Laloo Prasad Yadav wants to be Deputy Prime Minister.
5. Wanted somebody else to stop investigations into the Bofors arms scandal.
4. She prefers to continue to control the government from behind the scenes.
3. If she proves unpopular, CIA plans to assassinate her and install her son, who is half-Indian, as PM.
2. If she proves unpopular and the CIA does not assassinate her, her party colleagues plan to assassinate her and install her son as PM.
1. She has a bright political future back in Italy.