Written by Inchcock
Rating:

Share/Bookmark
Print this

Tuesday, 31 January 2012

image for Historical Walks of Ye Olde Nottingham - City Centre to Nottingham Castle Mildred struggles to the Old Peoples Help Centre at the top of the hill!

Historical Walks of Ye Olde Nottingham
From the City Centre - to Nottingham Castle

Our local historian, guide, agniologist and pensioner takes you along the route, describing what we sees now, and what was there in his youth and before.

The comparisons depict the changing face of life for Nottinghomians.

Nottingham City Centre:


1863:
We stand in the market-place amidst the horse and carts of the traders, opposite the Soup kitchens.
1963:
We stand at the taxi rank, opposite the McFisheries supermarket.
2012:
We stand on the new tram lines on South Parade, opposite the bank raided by armed robbers last July.


Friar Lane (bottom)
1863:
On the corner on our left, is the Mikado Cafe, tea or coffee costing 1/8th of a penny. (Farthing) 0.005p)
1963:
On the corner on our left, is The Friary Cafe, tea or coffee 3d (1¼p)
2012:
On the corner on our left, is Starbucks cafe, (looted in the 2010 Nottingham riots), tea £1.20 coffee up to £3.39

Friar Lane (Way up on the left)
1863:
No buildings at all by the lane, which was almost a very wide pathway then.
1963:
A sweetshop, Hambro's Bank (went defunct in 1988, no William Hague as an investor to save them, and ensure his wife's income from them as a Barclay, like in 2010, an old peoples help centre (conveniently positions at the top of the hill).. oh dear, now closed down, and a Tourist Shop.
2012:
A cobblers, hairdresser's, empty Co-op bank building, and a Charity Shop.

Friar Lane (Way up on the right)
1863:
Some magnificent houses of the rich, designed by William Fothergill, gargoyles included.
1963:
The grand Toby's Department Store (Vernon House). Went Bankrupt a few years later.
2012:
A Charity shop, the Citi Restaurant (Beer from £2.99 per bottle), and a newsagents.

Friar Lane (Junction of Derby Road))
Corner one on the left:
1863:
This area was (apart from a footpath forged through it) all wasteland, with lookout posts from the military based at the Castle).
1963:
A cafe (cannot remember the name, possibly Maid Marion Cafe. Fish & Chips 1/10d (9p)
2012:
Indian Resturant Fish and Chips £6.99.

Corner One on the right:
1863:
Wasteland
1963:
Newspaper shop - Evening Post 1d (¼p)
2012:
Newspaper shop - Evening Post 38p

Corner Three on the left:
1863:
Lookout post for Nottingham Castle troops.
1963:
Derelict lookout post for Nottingham Castle troops.
2012:
Abandoned office block.

Corner four on the right:
1863:
Wasteland
1963:
Tesco supermarket (purchased from Adsega supermarkets)
2012:
Abandoned Robin Hood Centre (torched in the Nottingham Riots 2010).

Friar Lane (Top end right)
1863:
Stables for the cavalry based at Nottingham Castle.
1963:
Travel Agents, Wimpey's snack bar, and ice cream shop.
2012:
Row of abandoned businesses, charity shop, and a night shelter for street dwellers.

Friar Lane (Top end left)
1863:
Residential premises.
1963:
Offices
2012:
Abandoned offices.

Nottingham Castle Entrance:
1863:
Near main gates: Horse-guard's Cavalry Stables and arsenal. No admittance to the citizenry.
1963:
Near main gates: Ice-cream vendor, flower seller, and Boy Scout hut. Robin Hood statue, and car park. Admission free.
2012:
Near main gates: Graffiti ridden Robin Hood statue, CCTV cameras, No parking sign, Admission fee £5.50.

More Historical Walks of Ye Olde Nottingham to follow

The story above is a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.

If you fancy trying your hand at comedy spoof news writing, click here to join!
Print this

More by this writer

View Story
View Story
View Story
View Story
View Story
View Story

Share/Bookmark

107 readers are online right now!

Go to top