It seems that American Idol has come up against those crazy censors. One of the contestants licked her lips the other night and about 1,000,032 people text messaged the FCC.
Some of the complaints included:
- "How dare she be allowed to lick her lips on national TV? When will the obscenity stop?"
- "She licked her lips in a sensual way for 2 seconds. I saw it and got turned on."
- "I will never watch American Idol again. This show is just obscene. I am tuning in to America's Next Top Model from now on."
- "Have we become so depraved in this society as to make such sexual, perverted gestures on TV. My six year old licks her lips now
and that's just sick."
- "I believed in the sanctity of American Idol until this stunt. How dare you put the word "American" in your title. What smut? If I wanted smut like that, I'd watch the Superbowl."
- "I'm shocked and appalled. Licking your lips like that has one intent and well, I just can't believe that sex has made its way to primetime TV!"
Fox is trying really hard to undo the damage from the telecast the other night. Someone issued the following statement:
At no time did anyone lick their lips intentionally for any sexual reason. When you sing, sometimes your lips get chapped. Our censors looked at the show again and noticed that it was just a normal bodily reaction. We apologize for any inconvenience to anyone, but, people, grow up!
An unofficial representative from the show had this to say, "It is a sad day indeed when more people contact the FCC than vote for our American Idols. Have they no sense of purpose? We are doing something so important here. If just 10% of those people voted the other night, Matt Rogers may not be going home so soon. It's a travesty, just like the whole Clay losing thing."
Attempts to contact anyone to get an official response went unheeded.