On a busy Med/Surg floor the doctor stops the nurse to brief her on a patient's condition.
"This patient is a fellow physician and my favorite golf partner. His injury is serious and I fear he will not be able to play golf again unless you follow my orders exactly."
The doctor then began listing orders:
(1) You must give an injection in a different location every twenty minutes followed by a second injection exactly five minutes after the first.
(2) He must take two pills at exactly every hour followed by one pill every fifteen minutes for eight hours.
(3) He must drink no more and no less than ten ounces of water every twenty-five minutes and must void between.
(4) Soak his arm in warm water for fifteen minutes then place ice for ten minutes and repeat over and over for the rest of the day.
(5) Give range of motion every thirty minutes. He requires a back rub and foot rub every hour.
(6) Feed him something tasty every hour. Be cheerful and do whatever he asks at all times.
(7) Chart his condition and vital signs every twenty minutes.
"You must do these things exactly as I ordered or his injury will not heal properly, and he will not able to play golf well."
The nurse left the doctor and entered the patient's room.
She was greeted by anxious family and an equally anxious patient.
All asked the nurse what the doctor had said about the patient.
The nurse started, "The doctor said that you will live."
Then quickly reviewing the orders, the nurse added, "But you will have to learn a new sport."