All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by IainB

54 Pages - « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » »»
From News Discussion / Isle of Wight News - Scab collection stolen
Posted 13 Oct 12 14:50
Transvestites? Humour? Well...I'm half way there. I just need to see the funny side now.

Debbie

Quote: Skoob1999

I liked this too Debbie.

It makes me feel like writing subs again.

There's a gap in the market for transvestite humour on the interweb these days. Erm...not that's it's about transvestism...but...erm...hang on...nearly choked on me feather boa there...

Regards

Martina.

From News Discussion / Isle of Wight News - Scab collection stolen
Posted 11 Oct 12 09:50
Quote: Patti Cake

Just when you thought this story couldn't get anymore yuk - it did! Hilariously yukky - well done!

Thanks. It's a true story. Only the person, place and number of scabs have been changed.

Debbie

From General Discussion / The worst haiku ever written in the WesternWorld thread
Posted 6 Oct 12 22:07
In a place called Kobe
It's not there any more.

Debbie

From General Discussion / The Coal Hole Firm Cordially Invite You...........
Posted 6 Oct 12 11:00
Right, I'll wiggle my bottom all the way down Regents Street, dressed as a hooker to a pub of dubious renown, walk in and ask for Clive, at which point the barman WILL ask the question "Blimey, didn't Clive win enough on the horses for a proper prozzie this week?"

Hmm?

That's if I make it that far....

I'll think about it. No promises mind!

Debbie

From General Discussion / The Coal Hole Firm Cordially Invite You...........
Posted 5 Oct 12 19:43

Do you know how long it takes to put false eyelashes on?

And then there's deciding what to wear. I'd probably want something new, as I don't think I have a 'meeting men in a pub' outfit. And that means shopping!

Tut. Men.

I need at least a month's notice.

Debbie

From General Discussion / Why do we get ill?
Posted 5 Oct 12 10:56

Have you tried taking Glaxo Smith Kline's new placebo treatment? I understand it's very effective. Although I don't know what it was up against in clinical trials.

Debbie

From Magazine Discussion / My life as a man #11
Posted 4 Oct 12 12:56

I think.

Gulp.

Debbie

From General Discussion / The Hippy thread
Posted 3 Oct 12 13:24
My hippy name is Sunshine Meadows. This is also a Nursing Home in Liverpool.

Most of their residents are pretty chilled too.

It's about time they had a clear out, really.

I don't do drugs, it interferes with the Oestrogen. Except wine. And chocolate. And coffee. The Holy Trinity.

Can I still be a hippy if I only do cocoa?

Debbie

P.S. Captain, luv, no...it's the right hole :O

From General Discussion / The worst haiku ever written in the WesternWorld thread
Posted 3 Oct 12 11:54
I have never been sober.
Another Chablis?

Debbie

From General Discussion / The Hippy thread
Posted 2 Oct 12 14:32
I've got a hippy dress and flowers for my hair. Can I come in?

Debbie

Posted 2 Oct 12 12:28
back in 1992
Now he's banned hair.

Debbie

Posted 2 Oct 12 08:50
My kingdom for a haiku
Cried Richard Di-sen

Posted 1 Oct 12 13:09
As I don't need them any more
P+P extra.

Debbie

From General Discussion / Ideas for 'Dragons Den'
Posted 30 Sep 12 14:10

Debbie

Posted 30 Sep 12 13:56
I've never had to wait for a 69. I find they come whenever you need them.

Although...I do prefer a 99. It's the flake.

Debbie

From General Discussion / Is It Just Me Or Are Sunday Mornings A Bit Crap?
Posted 30 Sep 12 13:00
Having got in at 2:45 Sunday morning, with blisters on my toes from dancing...kid you not, peep toe heels, a definite no no for dancing...I can say that Sunday mornings are fab-u-lous.

Debbie

From News Discussion / The Kindred Spirit App Helps Find Soulmates
Posted 30 Sep 12 11:06
Ellie has asked me to pick a story from her archive and kick of a Critiquing Circle type affair. I can only presume those pesky kids are keeping her too busy to write lately. Personally, I don't think I'm the best person to critique anything.

I picked this one. Not just because it was the first one there, but because it's an app story, and I have a fondness for them.

So...with apologies to feelings, egos and the word 'yellow', here goes....

The opening paragraph sets the scene, but it is a rather long single sentence. It could benefit from being made into three or four sentences:

"The creator of the Crazam App has come up with another winner, as he launches Kindred Spirit. Having moved from his mother's basement where Crazam was created, Jake Stevens is now living with his girlfriend. It is quite possible his location helps him create his apps."

Type thing.

The second paragraph again could benefit from smaller punchier sentences, build on the idea that Crazam was created because he lived with his mother, and Kindred Spirit was created because he lives with is girlfriend, adding the 400 questions as a throwaway line like: "and it's only a four hundred question questionnaire to make it accurate."

I like paragraph three, and it again could be re-jigged to use shorter sentences. Paragraph four is ace. Change the last 'or' to an 'and' and it has an extra joke in it, as it then makes out that Janice's Kindred Spirit is all 3.

I like the lead up to the end, but the last paragraph isn't needed. It could be included in an earlier paragraph, but it's better to finish on his problems, IMO.

Now...you see why I probably shouldn't critique. The story is GOOD as it is. All of the above could just be my style, and there's NOTHING to see my style is better or worse than anybody else's (worse probably).

I still gave it 5 thumbs.

Hugs Ellie!

Debbie

From Magazine Discussion / My life as a man #11
Posted 30 Sep 12 10:47
Honesty: (n) Telling people bad news in a way that makes them feel good.

Just kidding.

I do like this series Frankie (honestly!). It reads VERY autobiographical, with time and place references that feel very real. Although the piece is humorous and light in tone, it's too real to be overly funny (this could also have been because I went into the article with my critical head on). For example, I thought when I read the line "When Trivial Pursuit went out of fashion", that a secondary joke would have upped the ante, something like "Sadly, I don't know enough about Robin Williams to be of any use in a pub quiz." mainly because trivia knowledge is highly prized in pub quizzes still.

I don't think the fork on the floor anecdote adds anything to the story, it would be tighter without it. I get the feeling that the fork really did fall on the floor though, because all of this is TRUE, isn't it.

Grammar and spelling were good. Better than mine. Especially when I create a sentence like 'Better than mine.'

Anyway, my life as a man was dull, so I'm not in a position to criticise, am I?

Debbie

Quote: Francois Dubois, S.J.

Can I get your honest opinions on this one?

From News Discussion / Vegetarian society call for a Bacon Ban
Posted 30 Sep 12 09:41
The Vegetarian Society really are based in Altrincham. Around the corner from where I work.

I went past the other day and there was a burger van outside.

This very definition of irony had to be commented upon.

Feel free to rip into the story with as much constructive criticism as required to bring me to tears

Debbie

Posted 29 Sep 12 09:09
Bra, knickers and my wig
That's Debbie's checklist

Debbie

Posted 28 Sep 12 06:49
At Frankie's playful ploy
More! More! More! Big boy.

Debbie

From Magazine Discussion / My life as a man #05
Posted 27 Sep 12 22:09
I saw all these, and read the first one thinking "I'm going to hate this", and loved it.

More!

I want to know more about your manhood.

Debbie.

P.S. That might have come out wrong.

P.P.S. Like me.

Posted 27 Sep 12 22:07
It was quite an old tube
But it worked

Debbie

Posted 27 Sep 12 08:42

This marvellous invention can locate and hunt down any dragon, and exterminate it in a blinding flash of cash.

I know it looks like a sub-machine gun, but it is very specific with its targets.

Debbie

Posted 27 Sep 12 08:14
But I often get mistook
By drunk morons

Debbie

54 Pages - « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top