All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Simon Cockle

2 Pages - « 1 [2]
From News Discussion / Cockle v Woods - Tickets going for $$$s on ebay
Posted 4 Feb 08 18:14
I just made up with the guy on the other forum...but I can get mad again if you want. Boy oh boy oh boy....i got the red mist...it's Grenada all over again...

From News Discussion / African Cup Of Nations Halted As Tribal Wars Break Out
Posted 4 Feb 08 18:10
I've just been reading your comment, Monkey. I'd have to say that, tracing our thread through the forum, we do seem to have reached some form of closure on the subject. I still think we disagree to a certain extent...but there's more common ground between us than I thought.

Your last reply was erudite and well-considered - I appreciate that. Much of my invective was as a result of the trivial way in which my initial concerns were dealt with by you and others...now, though, almost everyone seems to have decided to engage me on a different level about the issue, which was what I wanted all along.

I think we've all done the serious bit now. I've come to realise that, as Cyndi Lauper once said, "Satirical comedy writers just want to have fun" - and, from now on, I'll try to do the same. Just as long as I don't have to change my name to Massive Tits.

From News Discussion / Cockle v Woods - Tickets going for $$$s on ebay
Posted 4 Feb 08 17:56
Yeah, and when I gets in that ring, I'm gonna moiderize the punk - you see that I do! People say I could be a contender, that I could be the champeen...You wanna know sump'n? He gonna see stars all the way to Thanksgiving...why, I oughta...

Posted 4 Feb 08 13:37
Thanks for the advice, Jalapenoman. I think I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect if I get on another forum - I'm green, I guess. Hopefully at some point I'll get to take the piss out of newbies when I've been on for longer...

...keeping the name though - I'm not hiding behind a made-up monicker. My name sounds made-up enough already!!

Posted 3 Feb 08 19:53
Hey, I can see what you've done there with language...

Posted 3 Feb 08 19:41
I suspect offending other writers is part of the attraction of being on this site for some...

Alright then...I'll take that as an olive branch. I'm on this to write and to make people laugh. Hopefully at the same time! I'm not all that interested in forums but if I read something like the story this discussion is about I'm going to say something. I'll do it again and I'll debate with anyone until they start talking like dicks - then there's no point.

I'm done then. We can read each other's stuff and have a laugh now.
Cheers, Simon.

Posted 3 Feb 08 18:47
This forum started with me raising a serious point about the content of this site. It's ending up with you taking the piss out of my surname.

Is that how you want to do this, Trevor? Am I supposed to take the bait now? Or am I being a killjoy? Should I start doing the same?

I make my jokes in the stories I write. Outside of that I can have a laugh, but I'm not in this forum for the fun of it. I've spent nearly 40 years with people making fun of my name...say what you want, I've heard it all before. But no-one's ever done it to win an argument with me about racist literature on a public-access website.

So, what's it going to be then, eh?

Posted 3 Feb 08 17:57
Quote: IN SEINE

Mr Cockle, are you related to Henry Winkler, perchance?

Clever, Trevor.

Bet you got the keys to the library in Shrewsbury.

Posted 3 Feb 08 17:07

I'll put the clown outfit back on again and fill up the buckets with confetti....

Posted 3 Feb 08 10:38
Quote: carina-eta

Urban Dictionary definition of Niggo;
"A half decent black guy. Or used in place of homie or friend."

You just aren't street enough.

And you've clearly never read anything written by marvin.

I've checked the Urban Dictionary. It's full of user-defined content so it's about as academically reliable as MySpace. So "half-decent" is a compliment, then? Mmm, friendly...

No, I'm not street enough to type "niggo" into google and go straight to the first result.

No, I've not read much by Marvin but I have now, thanks...

Posted 3 Feb 08 10:29
Thanks for the articles. Yes, I've read them and, yes, I can see how they explain the headline. I'm not bringing into question your skill at taking events, applying your knowledge and finding the comic angle.

My objections are to the stereotypes you create of African people. Your article has references to: Bongobongoland, Umbongo, spears, burning tyres, cannibalism and "Niggoland". These are words used and images used by racists to promote their view of Africans as savages. You've appropriated them in order to make out that this tournament is, in your eyes, a kind of tribal warfare. If that's the case, why not make the same comments about these African players when they come back to the Premier League? Try explaining that to a campaigner for Kick Racism out of Football.

As for the point about the fracas, these occur between football teams across the globe, occasionally in Britain, always in baseball. Rugby is an organised fracas itself!

I appreciate the fact that, through the forum, you are at least prepared to defend yourself. I'm not looking for an admission of guilt, just some concession on your part that the story was worth writing but not the way you chose to write it.

Posted 24 Jan 08 21:25
Hello, Mr Woods (or may I call you Monkey?). Your story needs explaining, don't you think? What were you thinking when you wrote it?

Posted 23 Jan 08 22:41
"The story you are discussing is a JOKE. It is a SPOOF NEWS story written on a SPOOF NEWS website."

We all write stories with the above in mind. We take the piss out of everything...nothing is sacred as far as I'm concerned. IF IT MAKES A POINT. This story is just crude racism, isn't it? Niggoland? Do they just let the white folks ride in buses in your town?

From News Discussion / "The Shawshank Redemption" linked with vacant manager's job at Newcastle United
Posted 13 Jan 08 21:53

2 Pages - « 1 [2]
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top