All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Erskin Quint

169 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 5 » »»
From General Discussion / Spoof Golfers Unite - join free
Posted 26 Apr 15 21:40
"The late Mr Gladstone was once, much against his wishes, compelled to play golf. He is reported to have commented upon the experiment that it was a good walk spoiled."

From General Discussion / Evidence that Mark doesn't wear a towel on his head
Posted 25 Apr 15 18:46
This is very interesting, but where do the towels come in? I am a great advocate of the towel, and had hoped to find useful bits of towel information in this thread, perhaps advice on towel acquisition or usage.

These headlines are very misleading.

From News Discussion / Onion offers To Buy Out Spoof and Eliminate Embarrassing Satire
Posted 23 Apr 15 20:39
Ah, I see that dave is now late of this parish.

dave was a confrontational cove, as far as Spoof writers go, and as far as Spoof writers go, he went.

From News Discussion / Onion offers To Buy Out Spoof and Eliminate Embarrassing Satire
Posted 23 Apr 15 20:36
To paraphrase a comment allegedly made by Dorothy Parker in a different context (well it would be a different context: I don't think Dorothy Parker ever wrote for The Spoof): the article runs the gamut of satirical and literary excellence from A to B.

As far as the spelling, grammar and punctuation goes, well, we are pretty much sat in a layby awaiting the emergency services not having travelled very far at all, as far as that particular journey goes.

Also we can't really get rid of Mark, since he is the bloke what owns this thing called The Spoof.

I did learn something from all this, however: I didn't know beforehand that the Clintons lived in a local newspaper. Thanks for that corker, dave old lad.

As Groucho Marx said: "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Posted 22 Apr 15 10:35
He seems to think you are old if you can write English.

From General Discussion / Acronyms
Posted 22 Apr 15 10:33
Sanctimonious Aunty Nina chatted, talking idiotically: "Monet's 'obviousness' never is obvious unless stated."

Posted 19 Apr 15 19:00
Quote: dave nelson

Funny old fart! Gotta love the guy!

Eh? Please translate into English.

Posted 18 Apr 15 09:43
Get a long what? I'm off to buy some polyfilla in a minute. Let me know how long you want it and I'll see if they have any in stock at B&Q or Homebase.

I think dave likes it here really.

Posted 16 Apr 15 19:52
"I just dash these Spoofs off because my time is absorbed by writing professionaly."

And here was I thinking they were the finely-honed result of hours of creative toil.

Interesting that your time is absorbed by writing 'professionaly'. Why do you spend your days writing that particular word? Also, why choose 'professionaly' rather than 'professionally'? Further, why not try writing different words?

"I mean many of y'all are disturbed by grammar when you now shit about syntax and context and have no concept of WTF is comedy/Satire/Wry Parody"

Now that's what I call irony.

From General Discussion / Fancy That
Posted 16 Apr 15 16:12
At least dugongs don't have feathers. Imagine plucking a dugong.

Or racing dugongs.

Or dugong pie.

Remember the great flocks of passenger dugong that used to darken the American skies before they became extinct.

and so on.

Posted 16 Apr 15 11:21
Maybe it's satire about being fined for keeping a dead body in a cupboard.

From General Discussion / Fancy That
Posted 15 Apr 15 15:29
as the man said, handing a dugong to the pigeon-fancier.

Posted 15 Apr 15 09:54
It's good to do these kind of articles, having a go at The Spoof or Spoof writers at a time of conflict. Many of us have done this.

This is a poor example though, barely literate, seemingly tossed off quickly without much thought and virtually no revision. Maybe this is all part of the irony, who knows.

Also:

"the body fine satire" - what does this mean?
you used a semi colon instead of a colon!

and where's the punch line?*

*just joking!

From General Discussion / spoof editors tampering with writers original material?
Posted 14 Apr 15 20:46
dave's overreacting, he should just keep writing.,

From General Discussion / Dominique A
Posted 14 Apr 15 20:45
This week I am mainly listening to Rory Gallagher and Vaughan Williams but I listened to a couple and he's not bad at all.

Posted 13 Apr 15 11:18
Establishments strange, terrible, atavistic, bear latent imprints; surviving heritages make establishments non-materialistic, thaumaturgical, sanctimonious.

From General Discussion / spoof editors tampering with writers original material?
Posted 13 Apr 15 10:56
Censored, yes, but altered?

Aye, there's the rub. I have had things rejected altogether, but not altered. I think I would be upset if any of my work was altered especially if I was not informed.

Actually, I think I have had stuff altered in a minor way before.

It's also frustrating when a story doesn't get published quickly, and you lose headline relevance.

But we have to remember that Mark is the Editor/Owner and has ultimate authority.

With this story, which seems to have been written deliberately to be offensive, sick humour, there is an element of 'the biter bitten' here, as Mark seems to have turned the joke back on the author a bit, in order to lessen the perceived offensiveness and homophobia.

Perhaps a dialogue between Editor and writer might have helped with this artistic issue - though I know there are resource issues with the Editorial staff!

Posted 9 Apr 15 18:02

And on dry land.

Posted 8 Apr 15 19:27
Ratatouille: ah, that acquired taste often uneaten in less lustrous establishments.

Posted 7 Apr 15 20:09
I think the last line is a punchline that made the article into an almost-funny joke.

But then bakery is always a touchy subject. Best to steer clear.

I thought your story was a real example to all. Your use of the apostrophe in particular is most instructive.

From News Discussion / Shock at Latest Young Briton Tempted Abroad by Extremist Sect
Posted 7 Apr 15 20:00
Cheers Vic, - I knicked the idea from Private Eye, mind.

From General Discussion / Norman says "which pet is best?"
Posted 6 Apr 15 20:48

Posted 6 Apr 15 20:41
"Sister, it's Sister Theresa's exciting ratatouille!"

From General Discussion / Home for Writers etc
Posted 5 Apr 15 16:39
Further to the other threads, how would you describe yourself?

Posted 5 Apr 15 12:28
Acromegaly, cripes! Really! Oh my! Eek! Grotesque! Awful! Loathsome! Yikes!

169 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 5 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top