All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Mark

55 Pages - «« « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » »»
From General Discussion / The worst haiku ever written in the WesternWorld thread
Posted 2 Oct 12 20:23
superintellectual
I can't quite decide.

From General Discussion / The worst haiku ever written in the WesternWorld thread
Posted 2 Oct 12 20:21
psuedointellectual
creativity

That was a short one,
More like an acronym though.
That's a different thread.

Posted 2 Oct 12 09:11
Aides reading in the darkness.
Now, where's my book gone?

Where did that come from?
The human mind is awesome.
Super cool, ain't it?!

Haiku is quite fun
I think I might write some more
But I need to work

(That didn't scan well
Poetry it ain't always.
Never mind, I guess.)

From General Discussion / The Chain
Posted 2 Oct 12 08:51
Paint it black featured in the Pulp Fiction soundtrack.

One of the most prominent songs in that film, which has since the film's release has been more widely known as The Song from Pulp Fiction is:

Misirlou by Dick Dale

Posted 30 Sep 12 09:04
I didn't realise Ray had done a cover of that, I'll have to look it up. I like songs with a story.

In the similar ilk of trading covers of other singers, I'm going to go with:

I can't stop loving you by Don Gibson.

I have to confess I had to look up the artist, I (rather embarrassingly) thought Elvis had sung it.

I always assumed Ray had covered the song, but didn't realise just how old that song is (both versions).

Interestingly, Ray Charles was 5 years older than Elvis, something else I didn't realise.

I'm learning a lot today.

Posted 28 Sep 12 12:35
The President of European Council Herman Van Rompuy is known for his Haiku.

Here's one of my favourite's of his:

Hair blows in the wind,
after years there is still wind,
sadly no more hair.

It's funny coz it's self deprecating, innit.

Posted 28 Sep 12 12:23
This game is totally robbed from Radcliffe and Maconey's radio show on Radio 2, but should work equally well as a forum game.

The rules of the game are straightforward, and hopefully simple: someone gives the name of a song and the artist of that song, and the next person has to give a name and artist of another song, with a reason as to why they're related. Any relation is acceptable, but if it's quite clearly no relation, won't be accepted. No contiguous posts with a song by the same artist.

No double-posts, no repetition. The repetition's gonna be hard to check in time given there's no search functionality on the forum, but we'll see how we get on.

I'll start things off, I'm going to say:

The Sex Pistols - God Save the Queen

From General Discussion / Neil Armstrong
Posted 28 Aug 12 07:41
I agree Skoob, that was unnecessary and beyond the pale.

You can't just deride someone like that for no good reason Sid, I think everyone got the Neil/Louis Armstrong link.

Taking the piss is one thing, but you have to be careful not to overstep the mark. It's very difficult in a forum to convey a jovial tone because it's impossible to express it. Please take more care in future and if in doubt, just don't make the post.

Cheers!

From General Discussion / Disruption likely this weekend
Posted 28 Jul 12 10:12
If you're reading this, you're on the new server

Please let me know if you come across something that looks broken and I'll try and fix it.

In the meantime, keep calm and spoof on!

Posted 28 Jul 12 05:12
Good morning folks. The process will begin shortly and I'll be turning off the writers desk in approximately 10 minutes.

Posted 24 Jul 12 19:24

I'm going to have to close down the writers desk on early-ish Saturday morning (UK time) while I move The Spoof to a new server. At the same time, I'm going to be changing The Spoof's DNS server too.

I hope to keep disruption down to a minimum. The writers desk will be shut down for quite a few hours on Saturday, but the forum and the rest of the site will be kept running (but might need to be turned off for 20 minutes or so).

When I swap the DNS records you might lose connectivity to The Spoof for a while, but this will depend on your system, and should only be for a few minutes. (The DNS is the thing which tells your computer where it can find "www.thespoof.com" on the internet.) Once I've done the DNS swap you should be routed through to the new server, barring any caching that's occurring in your system.

Once you're connected to the new server, your writers desk will be open and you'll be able to post your spoofs again. It's probable that it will take time for people to be redirected to the new server, but hopefully not. I'll be able to access the old server and the new server, so I can keep you updated if you're stuck in limbo. I'll have to move over your points from the old server to the new server too, so you might notice a dip in your points, followed by a spike when I do that.

Fingers crossed everything goes to plan. I'll keep you updated if anything's going to change in the meantime, and try my best to get things sorted.

If things do go tits up on Saturday and The Spoof goes totally offline, I'll post my screams to Twitter (@thespoof).

Many thanks,

Mark

From News Discussion / Alhambra employee tells Dutch tourist to f++k off!
Posted 23 Jul 12 09:20
I'm afraid to say that I'm at a total loss. I was going to approach this with a soft approach, but that doesn't seem to be getting through to anyone.

CJ, you've obviously got a problem with QM, and your continual snipes and provocative posts are unacceptable. QM took exception to your racial slur. It's not an explicit rule that racism should be frowned upon, it's a given human tenet.

If you can't put up with having moderators on the forum, then please, move on. I'm getting tired of all this meithering and childish arguing - and I'm not the only one.

I'm locking this thread because of the reasons stated above. Any further attempt to bring up this subject on the forum will result in suspension.

From General Discussion / And we're back
Posted 16 Jul 12 11:58
Wow, that outage was an absolute outrage.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience it must have caused you all. I'm personally very frustrated about the whole thing being at the mercy of a very poor (yet expensive) service provider who gives me absolutely no update whatsoever.

I could vent further, but I'd rather move on.

The fact is, we're back up and running.

There may be some further disruption soon as I will be moving The Spoof to a new hosting platform. Please be assured that I will do everything to make sure that the transition is a smooth one.

Once again, many apologies.

From General Discussion / And we're back
Posted 13 Jul 12 10:03
Many apologies for that unexpected outage.

Everything is back up now.

From General Discussion / Dear Spoof
Posted 11 Jul 12 07:15
I found the previous Dear Spoof thread, it was behind the fridge of all places.

I'm gonna lock this to avoid confusion.

Heigh-ho, it's off to work I go. With a bucket and spade, and a hand-grenade.

I build sand castles in North Korea.

From General Discussion / Flaming
Posted 1 Jul 12 06:21

From General Discussion / Flaming
Posted 30 Jun 12 09:13

I feel it's important for me to make another post to explain why I've instated moderators. My reason for instating moderators, first and foremost, was to ensure that spammers are kept off the forum. There was a spat of spam posts appearing and I wasn't able to deal with them in a timely fashion and it annoyed me.

However, since I've instated moderators, it appears to me that some feel their presence will impact on the 'freeness' of the forum - that is absolutely not the intention of having moderators. I have been intending to appoint moderators for years now as there have been several instances where having a moderator would have helped in the past, so I feel a lot better knowing that Ellie and QM are able to be an extra pair of eyes in the forum to help ensure the forums remain quality and safe.

On the subject of keeping the forums safe, the list of rules I've created is there to ensure that moderators have something to refer to, to make sure that they keep on top of inappropriate behaviour, and also to give them something to support them in their actions. It's also there to ensure that new forums members are made aware of what is and what isn't acceptable. Up until now, that's all been in my head and it's been up to me to make the decision, so there wasn't a great requirement to have a list of rules posted.

It's common practice on forums to have rules and they're a good thing to make sure everyone knows where the boundaries lie. In order to ensure everyone abides by the rules, there has to be someone in authority to do so. Previously, that was just me, now it's me, QM and Ellie. Someone mentioned we should have a moderator to moderate the moderators, that's my responsibility. I will continue, as I have always done, to act fairly, impartially and honestly in addressing any complaints.

Making a post to deride or undermine the job of the moderators is unacceptable behaviour, neither are posts made to bait or provoke - mods or otherwise. Ellie and QM have very kindly volunteered their assistance and their contribution is much needed and important as far as I'm concerned.

QM may have been a little quick to lock CJ's thread on the Syrian Olympics team discussion, but it did have the hallmarks of escalating into something more than a friendly debate, and this is the guidance I have given to QM and Ellie, so QM was only sticking to what I said.

QM's decision to lock the thread on the 'vagina beer' story was dead right in my opinion, Lynton's post was off topic and inflammatory - if you've got a problem with a moderator's decision or want to make comments on a topic after a thread has been locked, you should message the moderator directly, or message me.

On the subject of the beer story, I agree that it wasn't top-notch, but I thought it was passable. It reminded me of the "Pussy, pussy, pussy" scene from From Dusk Till Dawn. Not to everyone's taste, but that's comedy.

From News Discussion / Thousands rush to sign-up to 'Jimmy Carr avoidance' scheme
Posted 22 Jun 12 07:09

From Magazine Discussion / Fancy a Trip to Auschwitz? - "Let The Train Take The Strain"
Posted 15 Jun 12 09:39
Faut p├ęter dans l'eau pour faire des bulles.

From General Discussion / The New Forum Moderators
Posted 15 Jun 12 07:11
From General Discussion / Please be nice
Posted 12 Jun 12 07:12
Hello all. Just a reminder to everyone to be nice to each other.

If you think someone's being a troll, ignore them.

Newcomers should be welcomed not treated with suspicion!

From News Discussion / Ford Transit Found On The Sun!
Posted 7 Jun 12 08:36
From General Discussion / Come on, hands up, who's been moonlighting at the BBC?
Posted 13 Mar 12 15:24

From General Discussion / Come on, hands up, who's been moonlighting at the BBC?
Posted 13 Mar 12 14:54
Quote: Ellie James

Not in any US grammar book I have read. Sloppy copy editing.

Ellie

Heh, I think you're right Ellie. Just checked it out with Wikipedia, and only "British-style" would have punctuation outside of quotation marks. However, when applied to speech, it appears the punctuation, when it forms part of the speech, should appear within the quotation marks.

I'm confused and embarrassed, but intrigued.

Posted 13 Mar 12 14:44

55 Pages - «« « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top