All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Mark

55 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 5 » »»
From General Discussion / Domain issue
Posted 19 Aug 14 15:29
The issue seems to have gone for me. Apparently it was affecting European and Asian access to the site via TheSpoof.com

It could well continue, apologies for the inconvenience.

From General Discussion / Domain issue
Posted 19 Aug 14 14:40

There is an issue with The Spoof's domain hosts. It's currently only affecting TheSpoof.com, TheSpoof.co.uk seems to be unaffected.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Hopefully it will be resolved as quickly as possible, but we're at the mercy of the Gods of the Internets right now

Hope you're all doing well.

Cheers,

Mark

From General Discussion / Robin Williams. Damn.
Posted 12 Aug 14 08:46

Just 63.

Brought immense joy to many people.

Depression is just awful.

From General Discussion / Sorry for the lack of service
Posted 8 Aug 14 21:12

Nice to see you, how's tricks? Still wearing your Christmas hat I see.

From General Discussion / Apologies for the outages
Posted 6 Aug 14 15:29
I hate the door knobs with the push in button. You can't check if the door's locked, as soon as you twist the knob, the door unlocks itself.

Posted 5 Aug 14 18:01
Anyone having problems accessing The Spoof?

I've heard from joseph k winter who tells me the site comes up blank when he tries to go to www.thespoof.com

Of course, anyone who is experiencing that won't be able to read this

If you can read this, please reply and hopefully, by their absence, we'll be able to trace any notable absentees.

If you've heard from anyone experiencing problems accessing the site please let me know and I can investigate. I'm not seeing any errors, but it's possible that the problem is not something that would necessarily cause an error

Posted 3 Aug 14 18:08

If you want to link up your The Spoof account with the Twitter goodness, click here.

If you link up with your Twitter account a message with a link to your story will be posted to your Twitter feed once the story is made live on The Spoof and it will be retweeted on The Spoof's Twitter feed too.

Posted 3 Aug 14 17:54

Quote: queen mudder

Something strange going on in the Writers Desk Points Breakdown Table Rank - instead of 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc it's saying ERR.

Short for error?

Posted 3 Aug 14 16:16

Since this discussion is in the general forum, if any writers are reading this and you can't log in, please send me an email.

Posted 3 Aug 14 14:20
Yeah, it's an error I saw was occurring and I put that in as a temporary solution to enable people to still access their writers desk. I can try to fix in time.

Posted 2 Aug 14 19:11
Twitter link is down, probably Facebook too, will look to resolve as soon as I can.

Posted 2 Aug 14 16:26

Posted 2 Aug 14 16:26

Posted 2 Aug 14 15:42
I think if it were a motivated attack we'd know the perpetrators already.

We're still getting the odd spike but, thankfully, the measures I've put in place seem to be doing the trick.

Posted 2 Aug 14 15:09
Fixed the reader counter. Given the site's three day hiatus, it's likely to be quite lower than usual because search engines don't like dead sites. Let's hope it picks up soon.

The points appear to be logged in the system, it could be there's an issue with the reporting but I'm not seeing any error messages for that.

Thanks Duncan, it was stressful. I'd like to see Justin Bieber being punched by Kim-Jong Un while Orlando Bloom tweets pictures.

Even if I do say so myself, I'm very pleased. The site's running really well now and very fast. There's a fair amount of bits and bobs still to fix following the upgrades, but overall it's pretty awesome.

Thanks to everyone for your patience.

Posted 2 Aug 14 09:08
Okay, I don't want to jinx things because I've thought this a few times this morning...but I think we're doing good.

I've completed the updates I wanted to get done this morning and everything seems to be running much, much better.

Please let me know if you encounter anything that's broken and I'll endeavour to fix it asap. I'll be monitoring this thread.

Thanks to everyone who emailed for your messages of support, it's much appreciated.

Posted 1 Aug 14 07:41
No vulnerability that I'm aware of, at least not that's specific to The Spoof.

Most websites are vulnerable to DoS, unless you've got a bulky enough infrastructure to take on a gazillion requests. This I cannot afford

Posted 31 Jul 14 19:10

I'm trying my best to keep on top of it. There are things I can do, and am doing, to mitigate the attack.

Posted 31 Jul 14 06:40
Apologies again that there was another outage overnight.

It appears as though this is a concerted attack. I've attempted to put some restrictions in place to mitigate the efforts of the attackers. Provided it's a dumb bit of software that's causing the problems then we should be okay. I'll keep an eye on things.

I hope the restrictions I've put in place won't affect normal users of the site, but if you hear of anyone who's having difficulties please let me know.

Posted 30 Jul 14 20:10
Looks like Add To Any is offline for maintenance. That's what the page said when I tried to use it.

I think the site is being spidered by lots of hosts simultaneously. I can't say it's a malicious attack, but it's persisting.

Have fixed the twitter feed.

It's possible the site may go offline in the night, there's not much I can do about it I'm afraid, but I'll try to keep on top of it.

As a consequence, you'll probably notice the site running relatively slowly, apologies for any inconvenience.

Posted 30 Jul 14 17:08
The problem is persisting I'm afraid. I'm trying to eke out the cause and rectify the issue.

Posted 30 Jul 14 15:21
I believe it may be related to the script which handles The Spoof's twitter feeds.

I'm looking into it, in the meantime I'm afraid the twitter feed will not be active.

Posted 30 Jul 14 15:11
Not sure what's caused this but the website has gone down twice today.

I'm keeping an eye on things and hopefully it won't occur again, but apologies if it does.

From News Discussion / For First Time, Hard Drive Crashes Surpasses Car Crashes in Washington DC
Posted 15 Jul 14 16:43

From General Discussion / Re: Email This Story
Posted 15 Jul 14 06:47
It appears to be working for me. Can you give any more details?

55 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 5 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top