All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Ellie James

43 Pages - «« « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » »»
From Magazine Discussion / Spoof Forum, Possibly the most boring place on the planet? Shame.
Posted 25 Feb 12 19:54
Like everything in life....things are what you make them.

Ellie

From News Discussion / UK 7 year-old boy accused of being a racist because he asked his mate why his skin is a different colour!
Posted 24 Feb 12 01:32
Quote: Charpa93

As for the youth of today, it's the same as generations before. We learn from our teachers, both familial and educational. If we are raised in a tolerant atmosphere, we are tolerant of the differences in skin color, religion, etc. If we are raised in an intolerant atmosphere, we tend to not like those who are different from us.

Charpa

This is so true. I teach my daughter and my students that everyone's different and that is a good thing. Once we saw a little person at the pharmacy and my daughter had never seen someone like that before. All she said was, "Is she a small grown up?" I said yes and so she said, "Everyone's different, right mama?"

Ellie

From News Discussion / UK 7 year-old boy accused of being a racist because he asked his mate why his skin is a different colour!
Posted 23 Feb 12 18:49
I don't know if Abel is a native Spanish speaker or not. Not all Latinos in the US are. I do know that negro means black in Spanish. I also know that culture does play a big part in vocabulary and what is offensive. I teach Mexican nationals, Columbians, a few from Puerto Rico. And others who were born here. One word could be offensive in one country and no big deal in another.

When I was in Mexico I was talked down to a few times. I didn't understand the slang but I could read the body language and hear the tone in their voices.

Ellie

Posted 23 Feb 12 01:07

My Grandmother said negro and negress. That was her generation. My parents never did, and I don't. I was always embarased when she would say it in public. "Grandmother. People say African American now." She never caught on. I got what you were saying, and I agree it's a term that no one really uses. It seems to be a term of an older generation.

Ellie

Posted 22 Feb 12 17:58

Mike Tyson...he beat the shit out of his wife.

OJ was acquitted of murder....which I still don't get. Was Tyson an example ?? I don't know.

On another note...my daughter is Guatemalan of Mayan descent. I am not. She is aware of our differences in race and says she wants skin like mine. That breaks my heart. We are all people....on my census form I had to fill out a few years ago there wasnt a spot for her. I just wrote that she was Latina and told them to figure out on their own.

Posted 22 Feb 12 16:10
Those men are celebrities. You can't compare them to the average guy on the street. No matter their race.

Ellie

From Magazine Discussion / Dating Hell
Posted 22 Feb 12 04:55
Quote: Jean Le Fete

Nothing wrong with collaboration. Nice Piece Ellie, the article that is, I wasn't inferring that you were a nice piece, er...well not saying that you aren't either....aww hell hurry up and get the dammned dog!!!

Thanks! It was fun to write. It's fun doing something different. My dog should be here in the next few months, I think.

Ellie

From Magazine Discussion / Dating Hell
Posted 21 Feb 12 21:31
The Spoof's resident heart throbe? You've seen Malcolm?

I can't take all the credit for this story. I asked Clive and Iain if they'd help out by setting me up on fictitious dates with complete losers. They both agreed and gave me the names of their really "awesome" catch for me and how they knew them. Since they are "science department writers" it was logical that they be in my story in some way.

Iain helped me a lot actually because I got stuck towards the end and couldn't figure out how a complete loser would get me to go inside his apartment.

At first I thought about the idea of having him be that he made sculpture out of dog poo, but liked Iain's idea of the paintings better. I knew he'd hoard, but Iain thought of the hoarding of Star Wars figures which is quite appropriate as I know many people who really do that! And, really, it is what would get me in the door since he had nothing else in common with me.

So, many thanks to both Iain and Clive for adding some details to my story. I'm glad people find it amusing.

I really did go out with ketchup teeth, and I really am getting a dog. I also recently went out with a man who claimed to be a phophet which lead me to say, "Really? You should read my story called The Devil's Acocado!"

Ellie

From General Discussion / Graffiti on Nottingham Castle Sign
Posted 19 Feb 12 19:31

Signs Improved by Graffiti

Ellie

From News Discussion / Navy Seals take out Terrorist Cell in Hollywood
Posted 19 Feb 12 19:10
Quote: Lynton

I saw the article about this. It was entrapment that's for sure, at least as far as the articles info led me to believe, but because the guy is Muslim nobody will look too closely at the case.

I missed the article. It's hard to tell where the actual news is hiding amongst all the opinions now days.

I liked your article though.

Ellie

From News Discussion / Entrepreneur To Open Kebab Van At Everest Base Camp
Posted 18 Feb 12 18:55
I liked this as well. It reminds me of the time I read Wal-Mart was building a store next to the Aztec pyramids just outside Mexico City. Nothing quite says progress and capitalism as looking down after climbing the Sun Pyramid and seeing a freakin' Wal-Mart! You would think that one's morals would keep you from building next to a 7th wonder of the world! (I can't remember if these pyramids are a wonder of the world....but still....they were built by Aztecs!)

That was the day I got so fed up and completely stopped shopping there!

Ellie

From Magazine Discussion / You're Older Than You've Ever Been
Posted 18 Feb 12 17:50
What is it with men, growing older, and lamenting what's passed you by?

I find that I'm a more complete person at the age of 42 than I ever was at 21. I thought I was so smart and had it all together, but I was a kid. I was not that smart. I'd take who I am now over who I was then any day!

If people are too busy lamenting the past, then they are missing what's right in front of them!

I saw this in approvals and liked it, and I know it's fairly universal to feel this way, I've just always wondered why!

Ellie

p.s. Welcome, by the way.

From News Discussion / Android Ice Cream Sandwich to feature Lick-to-Unlock
Posted 18 Feb 12 17:45
Funny! I read about Android naming it's newest creation ice cream sandwich and my first thought was, "that's a stupid name!" I couldn't think of a clever enough way to make fun of it!

5 from me!

Ellie

From Magazine Discussion / The Adventure Of The Missing Christmas Goose Pt X Of X; A Festive Shylock Humes Mystery
Posted 17 Feb 12 18:02
Finding an audience??? This is a perfect time when the western world is Sherlock crazy!!!!!

From News Discussion / Squaddie Runs Amok In Government Think Tank
Posted 16 Feb 12 23:37
I liked it! And it's not even a science story!

Ellie

From News Discussion / Woman named "London's Worst Cyclist"
Posted 16 Feb 12 01:40

Ellie

From Magazine Discussion / The Adventure Of The Missing Christmas Goose Pt X Of X; A Festive Shylock Humes Mystery
Posted 15 Feb 12 15:16
I am looking forward to reading all of these stories on paper instead of the computer.

Ellie

From News Discussion / Emergency Room Visits Hit Record High on Valentines Day
Posted 15 Feb 12 15:14
I actually need a new vacuum cleaner so it would be much appreciated from me!

Ellie

From News Discussion / Emergency Room Visits Hit Record High on Valentines Day
Posted 15 Feb 12 12:22

From General Discussion / Will YOU Be Our Valentine?
Posted 14 Feb 12 19:02

I'm an artist....the artist quality one!

Ellie

p.s. Even though I'm Texan, I don't dig BBQ. Hate it!

Posted 14 Feb 12 18:47
For me, there's nothing romantic about forced romance. You should appreciate the people in your life every day and show them you care in small ways daily.

My fantasy is to have a guy who actually listens and pays attention and realizes that, when he asks, "How come that paint brush you have has teethmarks all over it?" And upon finding out that I dropped it outside my old apartment and a neighbors dog went to town on it, and me keeping it because it costs almost $15 to replace and you don't want to spend the money on a new one because technically it still is functional, this Mr Amazing would think 'Perhaps she'd really like a new one?' And he buys me one out of the blue...because he cares!

Sadly, I've not found a guy who is this thoughtful or listens all that well.

Ellie

Posted 14 Feb 12 17:48
Quote: Clive Danton

I bought my missus a card down the market for a quid that said Happy Valentine's Day To My Wonderful Husband by mistake.

Fortunately I dont think she's noticed yet. (

You really did??? That's CLASSIC! Nothing says "I don't pay attention to the details" quite like that! You can always get a black marker and cross it out, and write 'wife' instead.

Ellie

Posted 14 Feb 12 05:24

Do you see up top, next to the Writer's Login....there is a Story Search link. Just type in Bad Romance and all the stories will show up there.

When I want to point someone in the direction of my stories I will just tell them to go to the Top Writers chart and look for my name. If she has email, she can subscribe to your RSS feed and all your stories will be mailed to her. I have a few friends who get my stories that way.

Also, the General Discussion forum is open to the public. I believe she can read posts without having to register. You can point her to that thread that has all the stories.

Hope that helps....

Ellie

From News Discussion / Catholic Church Nominated for Doublethink Award
Posted 14 Feb 12 05:14
OH yes.....one thing. The 3rd link I believe (the one about Romney I think) doesn't work. It just takes you to the Google search page.

Ellie

From News Discussion / Catholic Church Nominated for Doublethink Award
Posted 14 Feb 12 05:11
I brought up John Stuart because his episode tonight dealt with the Catholic church and that Gingrich was quoted as saying that if Obama won the election he would "declare war on the Catholic church." I'm Catholic, rather I was baptized Catholic, and I thought it absurd.

I rated the story a 5. And it was one of the funniest captions I have read in a long time. It had me laughing when I approved it last night.

Welcome to the Spoof by the way.

Ellie

43 Pages - «« « 19 20 [21] 22 23 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top