All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Ellie James

43 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 5 » »»
From General Discussion / Can cricket be explained to Americans?
Posted 24 Aug 15 20:49
I always thought a cricket was an insect.

From General Discussion / Unlikely couples
Posted 2 Aug 15 20:51
Rick Perry and Hulk Hogan....hmmm....You forget Rick Perry has a permit to carry a fire arm. He jogs with his gun in order to shoot the coyotes in the hill country where he jogs.

So, he wouldn't need Hulk Hogan to protect him.

From News Discussion / Labour Leadership Candidate Secretly Filmed At Tory Fundraiser
Posted 2 Aug 15 20:46
Funny that he didn't realize you wrote it.

From News Discussion / Jeb _______ of the ______ Dynasty Announces His Bid for President
Posted 17 Jul 15 03:32
That would be a brilliant challenge! Good call Doc!

From News Discussion / Jeb _______ of the ______ Dynasty Announces His Bid for President
Posted 16 Jul 15 23:10

"America needs a better bush

haha

If only....

From General Discussion / UK keeps disappearing
Posted 2 Jun 15 20:30
I'm sure it's just a glitch. Did you message Mark?

Ellie

From General Discussion / Evidence that Mark doesn't wear a towel on his head
Posted 26 Apr 15 16:50
EQ - Here is a bit of information about towels:

The invention of the towel was associated, at least apocryphally, with the city of Bursa in Turkey. The city is still noted for the production of "Turkish towels."

From News Discussion / Onion offers To Buy Out Spoof and Eliminate Embarrassing Satire
Posted 24 Apr 15 19:23
Quote: D P Whitehead
I would like to take this opportunity for us all to remember dave and for this, I would like a minutes silence.

I think we should all take some time and do our best to eulogize his passing by improperly using grammer; spelling- and also punctuation!

He said as he rounded the corner- "He was not always the nicest of fellows" !

From News Discussion / Onion offers To Buy Out Spoof and Eliminate Embarrassing Satire
Posted 23 Apr 15 21:28
And damnit! I completely missed the sentence where you learn the Clintons live in a newspaper.

That made me laugh out loud. If only all of his improperly punctuated sentences were that funny!

Posted 23 Apr 15 21:24
Yeah....I didn't approve that one. Horrible punctuation, bad grammar, and all that. I'll miss not approving his stories because his grammar never did improve.

Pity.

From General Discussion / Is Mark an Islamist? - A Muslim? OR Just a Coward?
Posted 23 Apr 15 02:38
Thing is dave, you're not funny. This is a public forum. There have been other stories published that mentioned Islam. If you provide proof that your rejected story is something worthy of being called satire, then provide the news story behind your brilliantly written and timely crafted piece. Send that to Mark and talk it over with him. And if the story proves to be brilliant satire then I'm sure he'll change his mind.

Yet, if a story is just inflammatory, it might get put in the bin. Obviously, yours did.

I'm going to lock this thread now. Not solely for the reason that I can, but because I'm not going to tolerate sexual comments made about me. I was going to try to laugh it off, but I'm sick of feeling like I have to laugh off remarks such as that.

If anyone has a problem with that, please message me.

Posted 23 Apr 15 01:50

I'm Canadian!

Posted 22 Apr 15 23:17

I don't know what your problem is this time. But you can't, even jokingly, say someone is planning on joining a regime like that. First, it's not funny. Secondly, you just can't do that on a public forum. It's bad form.

If you would like to tell me what is wrong, please PM me. Perhaps you and I can discuss things like adults. Air whatever grievance you have, but do it in a PM. If I can't help you, then PM Mark.

On that note, if any discussion on this thread gets nasty, trollish, etc, this thread will be locked.

Posted 17 Apr 15 23:54
I don't get it. Publishing anywhere should warrant correct spelling, correct grammar, etc. It matters for every writer I come across. It doesn't matter where your drivel is located on the internet! *It's true that there are a lot of stories on here I don't get, or personally find funny because they aren't my cup of tea. At least the vast majority are spelt correctly, and are punctuated properly. I know there are a few errors that are missed, but the moment they are spotted, the writer tends to correct them.

And, there are a few very successful writers (novelists) who post here who are quite funny and they take the time to make sure the alleged crap they write on here is written in...I don't know...proper English!

* I went back and edited.

Posted 17 Apr 15 01:27
Oh sorry. I forgot to mention, of course you can use quotes. However, when a story is only 4 paragraphs and 3 of those are dialogue, then it's not much of a story.

Mark wrote a long post about it some time back.

Your website is interesting, by the way.

Posted 16 Apr 15 22:35
A professional writer such as yourself, Sir, should care more about the craft and spell and punctuate things correctly.

And go ahead and take a crack at me, too.

Posted 15 Apr 15 02:31
I'm surprised that got through....it was largely all quotes. Mark used to send back stories for being all quotes.

And, yes. There's punctuation, but it's not correct. That's not how dialogue is punctuated!

Here's an example taken from an actual news article:

"The new aircraft seats are the widest economy seats available in the single-aisle 737 market and offer a unique design that gives our customers what they asked for: more space," said Southwest chief commercial officer Bob Jordan in a statement.
Awesome read about airline seats!

If you're going to call other writers bad writers, at least have the decency for doing so in a properly punctuated piece of writing!

For some information on colons, you might want to click here: How to use colons. You'll notice that colons are only used with dialogue when writing a screenplay.

Other than that, Mark sure does look cute as a young lad!

From General Discussion / spoof editors tampering with writers original material?
Posted 13 Apr 15 21:04
Might I suggest you just talk to Mark directly since you're so unhappy? Although, he's already told you why he did what he did.

If you're going to call writers on here shit then perhaps you need to be prepared for your stories to be scrutinized more carefully by other writers.

Please refrain from name calling. I get you're upset, but there's a lot better ways of handling yourself on line than this.

Ellie

From General Discussion / spoof editors tampering with writers original material?
Posted 13 Apr 15 01:52
I just want to know when, in US papers, we started using colons to indicate dialogue? We don't do that here.

I'm also curious about the overuse of hyphens.

A crash course in APA punctuation

And, honestly, it's Mark's website. He can edit jokes where he see fits. If you were to submit to The Onion, The Chive, Funny or Die, or anywhere else, an editor would edit things. That's what they do!

From News Discussion / Stock photo model admits "My life isn't that exciting"
Posted 20 Mar 15 04:18
Yes....I agree. There are some good bits in this.

I used stock photos just today in a marketing presentation.

Ellie

From News Discussion / Study finds "referring to yourself in third person" still most reliable way to get ahead in career
Posted 12 Mar 15 03:45
A nice effort. I like stories with fake scientific studies in them.

Ellie

From General Discussion / The Spoof is Home to Unfunny Writers
Posted 5 Mar 15 05:29
Radiogagger used The Spoof to practice his jokes so he could get to a point where he could submit to a BBC show called Newsjack. It worked for him.

JAG got his inspiration for his book here.

IANB published a book of his There's an App for It spoofs.

The Spoof has done great things for a lot of people, I'm sure. You get what you give. I don't write here currently but I hang out because of the friends I've made. And I'm proud of a few of my stories. The others are shit, but some I'm really proud of.

And I'm grateful for the friends I have made, and I would never have met them if it weren't for The Spoof.

Ellie

From General Discussion / The Spoof is Home to Unfunny Writers
Posted 24 Feb 15 17:22
Welcome Jason. I couldn't have said it better myself. Comedy is very hard to write. That's why most comedies are written within a partnership or a team.

Ellie

From General Discussion / War on Terror
Posted 12 Jan 15 01:23
I ride horses and have a cowboy hat, but I hate guns!

From General Discussion / Je Suis Charlie - Where Murder And Humor Have Met
Posted 8 Jan 15 15:00
Well said. Thank you...I couldn't have said it better.

Je suis Charlie.

43 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 5 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top