All times are GMT

Forum Home / Forum posts by Tommy Twinkle

8 Pages - «« « 4 5 6 [7] 8 »
From Magazine Discussion / Riots: An Analysis
Posted 13 Aug 11 17:13
It's been an interesting afternoon, with the right kind of punches flying! Perhaps we'll do it again sometime - but not too often methinks because you know how to land them too well for my liking mate - not as quick on me feet as I once was!

By the way, I was born in Hackney. I don't get back there much these days but I do spend time in Vauxhall/kennigton quite often.

Anyway, looks like we've shaken hands. Best wishes.

Posted 13 Aug 11 16:35
The police DID hold back. That was not the choice of the police on the streets. From what I could see they were rather strong chaps who would have stood a good chance of wrestling a spindly youth (or child) to the ground. They were obeying orders. From how high did those orders come? Perhaps our wonderful journalists will tell us in the newspapers!

We now move from our police standing back to the very real possibility that the next time (not necessarily against looting rioters) baton rounds may well be used. That's a big step and one I don't think quite so many people would have been so ready to give their consent to a week ago. I feel that we the public are being conditioned to accept, and even to demand it. I hope I'm wrong, but it's what I'm feeling, not from my arse but from my heart. But I hope my words do belong at the first mentioned, I honestly do.

Kids are not angels. A firm hand has clearly been lacking with some of the children we see today in this country. I would have preferred to see our police issued with some rubber trainers before rubber bullets.

It is good that we are still able to hold our different opinions in Britain, and to speak them openly. A day may come when that right will have to be fought for. I would be there for you, I trust you would be there for me, sir.

Posted 13 Aug 11 14:36
No, it isn't sympathy for the rioters I have. What they did was wrong full stop. But the riots did not occur in one place. That took planning, and manipulation.

Certainly I agree that the police should have been more aggressive from the start. Apparently they were ordered by Scotland Yard not to move in on the looters. I wonder why?

When society gives it's police consent to fire baton rounds on children then it is a very sick society indeed.

Wise words from Erskin as usual.

(Sorry, seem to have submitted twice).

Posted 13 Aug 11 14:06
No, it isn't sympathy for the rioters I have. What they did was wrong full stop. But the riots did not occur in one place. That took planning, and manipulation.

Certainly I agree that the police should have been more aggressive from the start. Apparently they were ordered by Scotland Yard not to move in on the looters. I wonder why?

When society gives it's police consent to fire baton rounds on children then it is a very sick society indeed.

Wise words from Erskin as usual.

Posted 13 Aug 11 13:15
The point I was highlighting was not what motivated the MAJORITY to behave as they did - they may well have been of the description you use (though in that case they would also be very easy to manipulate). The outcome of last weeks events has already been a general consent from the public for our police to use rubber bullets in future. Against who might that be?
Are you really ready to give your consent for our police to fire rubber bullets against a crowd of people including children. All I'm saying is that we all need to think very carefully about what we're consenting to, and should be aware that the mainstream media is unfortunately not necessarily the best place to look for the answers to what are clearly very serious problems in our society.

Posted 13 Aug 11 12:58
'Amongst those arrested a law student...a ballerina, etc'

Yes, but why did the reporters who were sent to those courts pick out what were very probably exceptions to the rule? One is inclined to believe their editors had sent them there with that mission. The editors then deliberately focus on those exceptions for their next editions.

Focusing on the exceptions do not help us to understand why the majority of the rioters behaved as they did - though perhaps it does tell us a little about the nature of the mainstream media, and of what it is being used for.

We live at a time when it is not wise to be walking with eyes closed. When someone is woken up by having a bucket of icy water thrown over their head it is not a pleasant experience - but becomes necessary when gentle nudges have repeatedly brought no response.

Posted 13 Aug 11 12:49
'Amongst those arrested a law student, a ballerina, etc'

Yes, but why did the reporters who were sent to those courts pick out what were very probably exceptions to the rule? One is inclined to believe their editors had sent them there with that mission. The editors then deliberately focus on those exceptions for their next editions.

Focusing on the exceptions do not help us to understand why the majority of the rioters behaved as they did - though perhaps it does tell us a little about the nature of the mainstream media, and of what it is being used for.

We live at a time when it is not wise to be walking with eyes closed. When someone is woken up by having a bucket of icy water thrown over their head it is not a pleasant experience - but becomes necessary when gentle nudges have repeatedly brought no response.

From General Discussion / Serious Help Required.............
Posted 8 Aug 11 17:46
I was stung by a bee once. Little bastard!
I prefer No.2 - it looks a bit further away!!!

From General Discussion / Obligatory Utterance
Posted 1 Aug 11 22:51

Posted 1 Aug 11 22:27

Posted 1 Aug 11 20:02
Some people are bound to take it the wrong way though.

From Magazine Discussion / Review: My Existential Book Collection
Posted 30 Jul 11 18:27

From General Discussion / 50+
Posted 21 Jul 11 19:11
Dogs being let out by people while they went off to work. They'd roam around the streets all day, form packs, and you'd see dog fights. "Careful" we'd say, "there's a pack of dogs over the road." - Times change!

Posted 21 Jul 11 18:24
Used to always be seeing dead cats along the kerbs when I was a boy. More traffic nowadays but rarely see a dead cat. Wonder why that is!

Posted 21 Jul 11 18:18
Fry's Chocolate Cream ; NO.6/Sovereign/Guards (Ciggies.) ;Ilford films ; Standard fireworks (don't know if they're still going - what was the other name of them? ;small plastic circular things you'd spin on a plastic thingy by tightening up a rubber band - hold it up, release the band. and wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the plastic circular thingy would fly up in the air! (Or was there a piece of string that had to be pulled?)- Memory going-losing me marbles...oh yeah, MARBLES, and flicking picture cards up the wall (PG tips picture cards).

From General Discussion / Rupert Murdoch
Posted 16 Jul 11 14:18

From Magazine Discussion / What went on in Home Ec?
Posted 13 Jul 11 22:41
Absolutely Brilliant - Top Notch - 5 from me.

From General Discussion / Fell off my racing bike last night, have any of you had the same experience! done
Posted 2 Jul 11 23:35

Roads are hard/bikes are dangerous ... Yes, you're right of course.... But boys will be boys. I lived along Clapton Way, a turning off of Downs Road. I do remember the bombed out flattened remains of two houses along Downs Road. We'd get up to mischief playing about with all the bricks - now THAT was dangerous!!!

Up until I was about ten I'd often go along to Ridley Road market with a pal on Saturday mornings (we'd buy our toy Corgi cars from a shop along there).

Happy days!

From General Discussion / Fell off my racing bike last night, have any of you had the same experience! done
Posted 2 Jul 11 17:43
Until about fourteen I lived in Clapton, a sub-district of London's Hackney borough. Our council house was only about a hundred yards from a quite large park called Hackney Downs. When my older brother left school and bought himself a motorbike he gave me his 'Reg Harris' racing bike. I'd ride it for hours and hours 'over the downs' along the tarmac pathways - and I wouldn't piddle about!

I found a way of negotiating tight bends without having to come to a virtual stop - I'd copy the speedway riders. On approach to a corner I'd sort of throw myself away from the bike and (if a right hand corner) twist the front wheel sharply to the left so that as I leaned the bike over the front wheel would be pointing upwards. I'd just negotiated one of the tight corners 'over the downs' one day and was pressing down on the pedals as I straightened up the bike to pick up speed again (I was a mad kid looking back on it!)

Anyway I was going along at a fair old clip and still pushing my feet down on the pedals when the right pedal came down onto the top of a wooden kerb along the side of the tarmac path. I don't really know how high I went but I do know I did at least one complete somersault up in the air before hitting the grass along the right side of the path then rolling along several times before coming to a stop. I gradually sat up to see my bike on the floor about thirty yards away. Amazingly all I had was a small graze on my left elbow. But I was so lucky (cyclists didn't wear helmets or any protective clothing back in the 1960's) because when I sat up on the grass I could see that I'd come to a stop just a couple of feet away from a thick concrete lamp post further ahead. If I'd come off the bike a few feet later I would have gone head first into that concrete post.

I used to love that bike - light blue it was with 5 gears!

From General Discussion / Would You Marry A Lap Dancer? For Men And Women Only
Posted 23 Jun 11 10:06
Quote: victor nicholas

Reindeer have ligament in their legs that makes a snapping sound as they walk so they can follow each other in blizzards when there is no visibility.

This may not be important to most people but Canadians queuing up for buses are starting to make this sound.

I get strange clicks from my knees when I walk! Now I know why. I must be a reindeer!

From News Discussion / 'Coming Soon!' - Another Ice Age!
Posted 19 Jun 11 19:59

TT

From General Discussion / Universal Healthcare? Good or Bad?
Posted 5 Jun 11 15:23
I had my first(hopefully last) heart attack this year on 15 March. Two days later in hospital I had angioplasty op. 90% blockage cleared with stent at top-left side of heart, another blockage on front of heart, also treated with stent.Discharged day after op. Lots of pills to take but I'm still alive. I received brilliant treatment. NHS.

Three years ago, also NHS, my elderly mum was in my view wrongly placed onto a pathway for the dying when presenting a non-terminal condition that she then went on to recover from only to die a week later from kidney failure caused by having been denied fluids during the three days she'd been on that Liverpool Care Pathway intended to be used for the terminally ill! If she'd had private medical insurance I don't think they'd have thrown the towel in on trying to save her life at the first sign of difficulty!

From Magazine Discussion / Free range egg feather con revealed!
Posted 11 Mar 11 14:15
What happened was that I DID find a feather firmly attached to one of the eggs inside a free range box I'd bought.The idea for a story sprung from that.Thanks for the 'fives'.

Twinkle.

From General Discussion / Let's All Have A Flame Up! (Just Pretend - Not Real)
Posted 16 Feb 11 19:08
You.....you.....you....you.....you ROTTERS!!!

From News Discussion / License now required for Tossers!
Posted 10 Feb 11 12:18
Our wonderful police servants will arrive as soon as they can.They have to prioritise.Offenders are then tossed in a
cell.

Twinkle.

8 Pages - «« « 4 5 6 [7] 8 »
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top