This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / News Discussion / Police Close Off Northern England "Mad Zone"

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Forumbot
Automated
Posted: 8 Jul 10 03:09

Extract from Story:
Access to Northern England has been cut today while police wait for all the mad people to calm down Only last week, the Council for Northern England announced last week that Cumbria and Northumbria are Britain's favourite locations for going insane. The announcement came just weeks after a tragic shooting spree on the west coast. But Police have lambasted the council for encouraging local r.....

Click here for full story »

Please discuss at will.
PLEASE NOTE: The story you are discussing is a JOKE. It is a SPOOF NEWS story written on a SPOOF NEWS website.

Lady Godiva
This user is offline Banned

Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jul 10 03:11
Oh my dog! Is it going to be safe for me to go to Middlesbrough late July. I'm planning on flying from Toronto on 22nd.

In light of all the news coming out of England, maybe I'll be better off going to the Isle of Wight!

5 stars from me

j.w.
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jul 10 10:41
I have friends in the North who are worried and you make fun of their plight! None of them would hurt a fly - unlike the Barbarians to the North. Hadrian's Wall is in danger. Where will this end. Just because they voted for Nick Clegg in Sheffield.

Lady Godiva

Forum Profile
Posted: 8 Jul 10 12:38
Oh, I'm not making fun of them. Heavens NO! I'm FROM the North of England. Born and brought up in Middlesbrough.

I'm just glad - breathing a sight of relief here - that the Cleveland Police weren't deployed in this situation because my brother works for them and has just received an award. His picture was even in The Middlebrough Evening Gazette (This is true! You can check! He's gonna KILL me! - Oops! I should be careful what I say......)

Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Jul 10 21:11
I live in Cumbria. I don't like these stories at all. I know someone through work whose mother was killed by Derrick Bird. Not that funny really. I think only Skoob has really done it right with his thoughtful parodies of the media treatment.

But as one spoofer to another I can still appreciate the art here so I gave it 5*****.

I also did it to spite the embittered new members who have been protesting about us giving each other 5 *****.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
The Medium Cheese
The Medium Cheese

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 Jul 10 17:37
Perhaps I should explain, I'm also in the North of England, and I don't like the idea of high profile murders going on in the town next to mine. I understand that real people are involved and that real lives are affected, and that real murders are not something to joke about. I have close links with people on Cumbria's West Coast and Bird's ruined the great feelings I have for that part of the world.

Having said that, the real media's 24 hour reports of reporters' speculation and,as Scoob says, "ghoulish" coverage of this and any other unfolding unpleasantries does more harm than a thoughtful dig at the police. I think the fact that The Spoof's Editor didn't block my stories with a warning page shows that they were not blatantly distasteful.

If it had carried on I was going to spout off something about the number of police cars, which reminded me of the Blues Brothers, dovetailing it with the Keystone Kops...

Anyway, thanks for calling it art and for giving me some points

Cheese, Medium (The)

What the deaf man doesn't hear, the blind man will not see.

Frank Sidebottom RIP
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 Jul 10 09:00
Yes. In the end it's up to the writer what they want to write about. Comedy is a game and the world is fair game.

My personal decision is I can't do these stories. But I think others have every right to do them.

That's where I am at present anyway!

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Lady Godiva

Forum Profile
Posted: 11 Jul 10 16:07
In my ignorance I didn't realize the story was about Raoul Moat - I didn't make the connection because I hadn't heard of the Moat situation until later.

Still, people are free to write what they wish. We should be thankful that we have the freedom to do so.

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum