This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Found this in the archives

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 25 Apr 07 17:40
On this day, 2004: Phone Sex Operators Protest as Jobs are Outsourced to India

Written by old-hand susan allen-rosario.

Reminded me of a recent spat with my car insurance company.

Spoofing all over the world
Captain Dopey
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Apr 07 23:32
It's a crying shame. My grandpa had to use a tin megaphone for HIS phone-sex job. That was all you could get during the war.

susan allen-rosario
susan allen-rosario

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 2 May 07 21:03
That sounds about as fun, as a cold shower!!!!! Yikes!

Every day above ground, is a good day !
Who The Hell Is Mohit?
Who The Hell Is Mohit?

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Jul 07 10:03 - Edited By: Who The Hell Is Mohit?, 16 Jul 07 10:12
Even I found this in the Archives of This Forum.

It seems Racist to me, but that's just me.
Or maybe it is?

Don't tase me, bro!
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 16 Jul 07 11:43
I don't believe it is racist. Personally, I believe for something to be racist it must be based on hatred, where as this story is not.

I think stereotypes are great fun. (Unless of course they are used to stir up hatred or intolerance). I'm a fat Christian student from the north of England. If I didn't accept stereotypes I'd probably commit suicide!

In England it rains all day every day. We have terrible food that is mostly boiled or deep fried. We worship the Queen. We're all football hooligans. We drink beer for breakfast. We all speak like the Queen. We wear bowler hats and carry umbrellas. Our staple food is fish and chips and vindaloo. We're all lazy disorganised good-for-nothings. We're always complaining and always on strike.

More specifically: Lancastrians are all flat-cap wearing pigeon fanciers with a fixation for playing bingo, betting on horses, drinking beer, keeping ferrets, and racing greyhounds. Yorkshiremen all keep whippets, wear flat-caps and drink bitter. Londoners eat a myriad of picked shellfish, they're all cockneys who own a market stall, have some connection with the underworld and are sexually promiscuous. Geordies (people from Newcastle) are workshy layabouts who greet you with a friendly headbutt and wear scanty clothing in the middle of winter (any anyone who doesn't is of questionable sexual orientation). Scousers (people from Liverpool) are also workshy, they are all football fanatic thieves, with poor fashion sense, fake tans, and bad hair-cuts. People from the West Country are all dairy farmers who consume a large quantity of rice pudding, cider, and pasties. Southerners are all upper class toffs. The Welsh are backwards leek eating sheep 'lovers' who hate the English with a passion. Scots are tight-fisted alcoholics. Irish people are all drunkards who wear a surprising amount of green, smoke long pipes and believe in Leprechauns.

(There are others, and I'm sorry if I missed where you live - maybe you could give your local stereotypes)

Of course, none of the above statements are true. I think people like to categorise people and group them together. I don't believe stereotypes are born out of hatred. I can see that they are often derogatory, but people enjoy poking fun at other people and I don't feel that this is at all spiteful or nasty. Of course, there are close-minded bigoted people who do use stereotypes for malicious purposes and that is, without question, wrong.

I am quite able and willing to poke fun at myself and have often been made the butt of many jokes, targeted at me personally (just look at the moustache stories). I take things like this, that are meant in good humour, in the light that they are intended.

One key facet of The Spoof is about poking fun at people. One could see this as unfair, narrow-minded, intolerant, discriminatory, etc. But we don't. We don't because we know it's all made in good humour - any why I will edit, or send back, anything which I believe to be inflammatory or that takes things too far.

Spoofing all over the world
Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 16 Jul 07 15:15
I must agree with Mark. None of that stuff is true. English people all wear bowler hats, have funny walks, never brush their teeth, all got "buggered" at their prep school, and all want to be lumberjacks.

As far as the mustache stories go, we had to get even for the million points thing with Snotty Boogers, or whatever his name was.

I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings. To make it up to you, we'll give you a free night with Cal's sister (and we'll even make sure she takes a bath first!).

Now, go sip your tea, start every sentence with "what", and drive around the countryside in your suitcase sized car.

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
carina-eta
This user is offline Ice Queen of the North
carina-eta

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Jul 07 23:33
Oh no! I've been doing "phone-sex" all wrong, dammit! and I just bought a bigger phone too!

Someone tried to make my life not worth living and NOW they're trying to kill me!
carina-eta
carina-eta

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Jul 07 23:37
I work in a call centre and it really irritates me when the first thing people say is " thank God you're English"- I think "what am I supposed to reply to that?" Its so rude, they are praising me for something that is just an accident of birth/also how can they tell if they can't see me. Any suggestions- ( that I can get away with?)

Someone tried to make my life not worth living and NOW they're trying to kill me!
Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 17 Jul 07 03:36
When someone says "Thank God you're English," you can answer with "I know! It would have been really hard to find my parents if I had been born somewhere else!"

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
carina-eta
carina-eta

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jul 07 08:47
excellent! I also thought of saying in a perfect clipped English, "Thank you!, my name is Sunjeeta,how can i help you today." or "How can I help you this evening?" when its clearly morning, then when they correct me say "Well Its 10pm here in Bombay"

carina-eta
carina-eta

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jul 07 08:50
Once I worked in a call centre near the sea and we used to get a lot of sea birds making a noise outside. A customer asked me if she could hear seagulls in the background and I said it was a relaxation tape the company played to us and in the afternoon we get whales. She was really impressed and said she was going to call back that afternoon to hear the whalesong tape. Bless, the public is so gullible.

Who The Hell Is Mohit?
Who The Hell Is Mohit?

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jul 07 10:15 - Edited By: Who The Hell Is Mohit?, 17 Jul 07 10:15
I get all what you people mean, but I specified that it was probably just my thought.And I wanted to clarify it, which has 'mostly' been done.Just felt that way regarding the Cow & Saree thing, but i'll gulp it in with some Ketchup [Chatni in Hindi].

J-Man, I will begin all my postings with 'What' from now on....but it will not suit this one so later.

I dunno how Mark could come up with such a lengthy description, especially when all his Messages are barely one-liners.And our Moustache stories were Severely Disrespectful & Derogatory....but we will come up with more!

So WHAT?

Don't tase me, bro!
Who The Hell Is Mohit?
Who The Hell Is Mohit?

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jul 07 10:22
Waiting for Cal's Sis...Ain't she too Old?

Don't tase me, bro!
Who The Hell Is Mohit?
Who The Hell Is Mohit?

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jul 07 10:22 - Edited By: Who The Hell Is Mohit?, 17 Jul 07 10:23
WHAT?

Don't tase me, bro!
Fergus McCarthy
This user is offline Devil's Avocado
Fergus McCarthy

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 17 Jul 07 19:48 - Edited By: Fergus McCarthy, 17 Jul 07 19:51
Old can be good it seems.

My Dad always say's

"Go for an oul one,
They dont yell,
They dont tell,
And they are eternally grateful"

My other Dad, not...... you know, the one up in the sk..........

You know.

Fergus.

You want me as a moderator!
You need me as a moderator!!!

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum