This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / what is an RSS feed and what does it do?

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Buck E Filbert
This user is offline Writer
Buck E Filbert

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 17 Mar 07 01:58
I know I'm stupid, don't ask you'll never know.

BEF
vagina

spoofing is futile
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 17 Mar 07 09:55
RSS feeds are basically a way for websites to share some of their content.

The Spoof has an RSS feed which is a group of a few stories, chosen by an automated process. The feed contains the story headline and a summary of the first paragraph. (Which is why it's important to get a big punch in the first few sentences.)

You can get software which can read these feeds, but also other websites use these feeds to display additional content on their websites.

Here is an example of a website which uses RSS feeds www.laughsend.net

Hope this has cleared up some of your questions. If you do a search for RSS feed or web feed, you'll find more indepth info.

Spoofing all over the world
Joey da dog

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Mar 07 12:13
Mark, any chance of a byline as part of the RSS output? Apart from the vanity factor it would help authors track the spread of their own stories. The feed viewer I use generates desktop alerts when user defined keywords appear and currently I have to reset it every time I do a new story. Having acquired a delicate wrist from my online research I'm concerned about repetitive strain injury. I suppose I could include a signature word like 'adoxography' in every article, but this would only confuse my target audience who have enough trouble with words like 'god'.

Nothing but the tooth.
Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 18 Mar 07 14:04
They are lying to you, Buck.

The RSS feed is the chow line at the homeless center. As the quality of the food is not very good, the bums call it "Really Sh**ty Stuff." The food service line becomes, then, the RSS Feed.

Mark is obviously donating money from the Spoof's advertisers to feed the homeless.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
SPLINT

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 20 Mar 07 11:04
SAY WHAT?

susan allen-rosario
susan allen-rosario

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 20 Mar 07 18:59
I don't have the"sack" to call other peoples stories sh-t.One persons sh-t ,suitable for flushing,may be to another person, sh-t,suitable for growing petunias.Maybe if I eat sh-t,I will grow a "air",so that I too,can make comments like that. Each to his own sh-t! And may we all use it how and where we wish,pending possible government intervention,and complaints from neighbors. This reminds me of why I stopped going to the"only true church",as they say.A pompous sense of moral superiority, by which all other things are judged or deemed to sh-t.

Every day above ground, is a good day !
Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 20 Mar 07 22:56
I think that the above comment may be directed at me, but am not sure.

If it was, please go back and read my post. It was intended to be a joke involving the initials RSS. It also poked fun at the food served in the soup kitchens.

Have you ever heard of chipped beef on toast? The standard nickname for that dish (common in military messhalls accross the world and in all homeless shelters in the U.S.) is s**t on a shingle.

Nowhere in my post did I refer to anyones writing as being crap, garbage, or terrible. My comment did not in any way demean his writing or his stories or the stories of anyone else on this site.

I'm sorry and apologize if you did not see the intended humor in the post or if you were offended by it. I consider the original poster of the thread to be an on-line friend and think it safe to kid around with him.

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
Joey da dog

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 21 Mar 07 11:52

Quote: Joey da dog

Mark, any chance of a byline as part of the RSS output?

I take it that's a no, then.

Nothing but the tooth.
Buck E Filbert
Buck E Filbert

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 22 Mar 07 06:49 - Edited By: Buck E Filbert, 22 Mar 07 06:50
Thanx for all the help and info, I think i have it Mark. J-man, now I know where to avoid for dinner.

BEF
vagina

spoofing is futile

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum