This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Super Bowl.

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 30 Jan 07 22:25
Bears?

Colts?

Commercials?

Do you care?

They are screwing it up and putting Prince on as the halftime entertainment. No desire for any wardrobe malfunction there! I think I'll mute it and eat supper then.

My wife is pulling for the Bears because Urlacher is from our part of the country. I just want a good game and lots of shots of the cheerleaders.

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
King David
This user is offline The King
King David

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 31 Jan 07 03:44
J-man,

I stopped watching football after I quit playing it (over 20 years ago).

I love to watch college basketball though. I live in an area of the country where there are some very fierce basketball rivals (UNC Tarheels, Duke, Clemson, Wake Forest, NC State, Virginia, VA Tech) in both men and women's sport.

Hard to sit down and watch TV for three hours too. My TV set doesn't get any channels and only functions as a VCR screen for movies, Monty Python, Faulty Towers and old (1982) Saturday Night Live tapes featuring Eddie Murphey, Joe Piscapo, Tim Kazerinski.....

Laugh at your problems. Everyone else is.
Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 31 Jan 07 21:03
I am five miles from NMSU and 35 miles from UTEP. These names may not mean much to you, but both have been dominant basketball teams in the west off and on for the past 50 years.

When UTEP was called Texas Western, they won the 1966 NCAA tournament. A few years later, NMSU was in the final four. When the tournament was still truly regionalized, these two schools would generally lose out on a final four appearance to UCLA. At one point, UTEP had the second longest streak of NCAA tourney appearances (secont to either Kentucky or North Carolina).

Both schools have coaches in the Hall of Fame (Don Haskins and Lou Henson). Both fell on hard times for a few years, but have finally recovered. NMSU started off this season with three straight losses while the entire team, and coach, had the flu. They are 16-4 for the season and not even ranked. UTEP has been in the tourney or the NIT each of the past three seasons.

Since this is not ACC, Big 10, SEC, or Big East basketball, no one from your part of the country really cares. It is also nearly impossible to get good schools to agree to do home and home games against them. UTEP was excited when they got a double home and home set against Georgetown in the 90's. When UTEP won three of the four games (including one game at G'twon), that all dried up.

About the only good program outside of their conferences that are willing to play either school is Texas Tech, and that is just because of a coaching connections.

To paraphrase what Rodney Dangerfield used to say, "We don't get no respect."

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
King David
This user is offline The King
King David

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 31 Jan 07 22:04
It sounds like your NMSU and UTEP teams are the equivalent of our Appalachian State University Mountaineers (Div. I AA) 3.5 hours West of where I am in Durham.

App. State has won the Div. I AA national football championship two years in a row. I have family that graduated from App. State and love to watch their games. I usually hang out with them just to be with family and see a good game.

Other than the cheerleaders, who do you think will win the super bowl?

Laugh at your problems. Everyone else is.
Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 31 Jan 07 22:20
Colts should win, but have that "choke" factor.

I'll still go with the Colts in a medium scoring game (Don't tell my wife I said that).

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum