This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Vicar of Dibley

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 1 Jan 07 22:16
This is probably only pertinent to the Brits - But what's the deal with the latest and (thankfully) final episodes of the Vicar of Dibley?

Don't get me wrong - I love the VoD. I thought the original series were absolutely ace.

Then they brought out a special episode a couple of Christmases ago and it was some bollocks political statement about the poor in Africa. The scripting was absolutely dire and the comedy was cringeworthy.

Then come these latest two episodes. The one aired on Christmas day - Brilliant! Very true to the original writing, style of comedy, everything. I finally thought this rut of poor quality sitcom writing we seem to be stuck in might have been making a turn around.

But currently, as I'm just watching the remains of the second episode of this two-parter, I'm absolutely gobsmacked. I truly believe they must have split the episodes in two: one written by a comedy genius, the second written by a monkey, equipped solely with a stick and a bucket of poo.

Does anyone else share these sentiments, or is it just me?

Spoofing all over the world
Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 1 Jan 07 22:56
If you need some background on VoD look here http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/vicarofdibley/

Duff
This user is offline Duff Man
Duff

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Jan 07 16:40 - Edited By: Duff, 2 Jan 07 16:41
Mark, I think you have it spot on.

The first wasn't too bad at all. Had the old style and I liked it but my God, last night's effort (AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH!)

It suffered from all the ills that later series of the show suffered from.

Ghastly, unfunny and infantile. I said to Mrs Duff that surely both episodes could not have been written by the same blokes.

Monkey Woods
This user is offline Dirty Ape
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 10 Jan 07 14:47 - Edited By: Monkey Woods, 10 Jan 07 14:48

Quote: Mark Lowtonthe second written by a monkey, equipped solely with a stick and a bucket of poo.

Sensitive people can be hurt, you know.

What do you think about Jam and Jerusalem?

To have ambitions, was my ambition
Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 12 Jan 07 01:34 - Edited By: Mark Lowton, 12 Jan 07 01:34

Quote: Monkey Woods

Quote: Mark Lowtonthe second written by a monkey, equipped solely with a stick and a bucket of poo.

Sensitive people can be hurt, you know.

What do you think about Jam and Jerusalem?

Hi Monkey, no offence intended - I'm sure your writing is lovely...no matter how it smells...

Jam and Jerusalem - Well I think it all it does is highlight how good an actress Sue Johnston is. But I think that is all.

Dawn French's character is laughable (not in a good way) as is Jennifer Saunder's cringeworthy old woman character - it adds absolutely nothing. And their acting skills in these roles proves...well...nothing?

The character who play's Johnston's daughter (sorry, I'm not an avid fan) is pointless, as is her son...so she's a hippy, and he's black...hmm, political? No. Bollocks, yes! Her character is totally unbelievable of a woman of her age. If she were 18, then maybe it would hold water, but that woman's 30 if she's a day - just totally unbelievable...although I could imagine one of my ex's sister could turn out like that (sorry )

I remember the first episode more than any others I've been subjected to...and I don't remember much. The most I remember was the cringeworthy (and yes, I think that word does sum up this programme) funeral service for the father of the character played by Sue Jonston. It was simply sickening...and the attempt at levity was questionable.

The last "comedy" (other than VoD) I saw starring Dawn French was some God awful sitcom where she worked in a Post Office and was a lesbian (sorry, I can't remember the title).

As far as I remember - and I don't remember much - this programme was showing a conservative (and perhaps backwards) island population's reaction to lesbian relationships...but I could be wrong

Monkey Woods
This user is offline Dirty Ape
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 12 Jan 07 09:16 - Edited By: Monkey Woods, 12 Jan 07 09:17
We are in agreement, then. It's just terrible.
I saw Jennifer Saunders being interviewed on daytime TV by that Philip Schofield and some fat tart whose name eludes me. Jennifer must have had a load of surgery - she was being careful not to laugh too heartily.
Seems like these people are going through the motions nowadays, thinking anything they do will be a hit with audiences that are too dim to work out that French /Saunders are past their 'sell by' dates.

To have ambitions, was my ambition
Bubbles
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Jan 07 15:07
i agree with you on th VoD thing the first ones were funny and did not take too much brain power to understand but lately they have had me thinking (which is not to good unless for stories) i think we should complain because i dont know what i would do without my weekly dose of the funny VoD! lol

President Bush
This user is offline Texican Dude

Forum Profile
Posted: 16 Jan 07 23:22 - Edited By: President Bush, 16 Jan 07 23:24
What's a vicar. What's a dibbley. (sp? "I" don't know, the foggiest I've not got)

Jalapenoman
This user is offline Spicy Hombre
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 16 Jan 07 23:52 - Edited By: Jalapenoman, 16 Jan 07 23:52
Mr. President!!!!

YOU don't know what a Vicar is? YOU, the man who is supposed to represent the moral majority! YOU, the man who is supposed to espouse all of the Christian values! YOU, the man who is fighting to destroy the godless and soulless in the world!

I'm ashamed at you!

A vicar is kind of a parish priest/reverend/minister/clergyman/bishop over a church.

As for the Dibbley part, I guess that would be the Parish that the Vicar is over! It might even also be the name of the town or area where that Parish is located. (Gee, and I've never even heard of this television show).

In your case, however, we'll just say that a vicar is a musical instrument (like a guitar) and a dibbley is a musician (a cousin of Bo Diddley). Therefore, it means almost the same thing as "The Guitar of Bo Diddley." Hope that makes it easier for you to understand!

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
President Bush

Forum Profile
Posted: 17 Jan 07 01:55

Quote: Jalapenoman
Mr. President!!!!
YOU don't know what a Vicar is? YOU, the man who is supposed to represent the moral majority!
im
You a closet Brit Mr Peno? Not to worry I'll not re-vell the revelation if you are. Only time me and Laura even HEAR the word "Vicar" is on BEAN or a Python re-run.

Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 18 Jan 07 03:27
A closet Brit? Me?

I wear cowboy boots (Tony Lamas only) and Levis (505s) if I'm not at work. I've never eaten anything with a name even approaching "bubble and squeak." I don't add and extra "u" to all of my words (colour and rumour, for example). I have fired all kinds of firearms (rifles, pistols, and shotguns), which is unlike British cops, who carry sticks as a deterrent. I have a GMC truck. I hate tea (something about the idea of drinking boiled leafs never appealed to me). I like ice in my drinks. I "take a dump", not "go to the loo." I go on vacation, not go on holiday. I eat cookies as a snack, and consider biscuits those things that you eat in the morning with cream gravy. I drive on the right side of the street, and my steering wheel is on the left side of the car. I get gas at a gas station or when I eat beans, but I never get petrol.

Nope, I'm an American from the great southwest. I've lived 95% of my life in Texas or New Mexico and have visited every major Indian ruin in Texas, New Mexico, or Arizona.

No, the only thing that might come out of the closet is you!

Being raised by an Italian mother on the Mexican border made me realize that entrees are not edible without jalapenos, onions, green chilis, or garlic. Hence, I am the J-man.
President Bush

Forum Profile
Posted: 19 Jan 07 00:22

"A closet Brit? Me? I wear cowboy boots"
-> (So does Tony .. just not to Parliament)

and Levis
-> (So does Tony plus a 10 gallon hat AND he can line dance too)

I have a GMC truck.
-> (Mr Blair's got a Ford F-150 .. 2,500 lb towing capacity)

So you see, you're not that much different from the fine ruler of the motherland. It's ok to come clean Mr Peno. I imagine you've never said the phrase

"HEAR HEAR"

even if you meant it.

Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 20 Jan 07 20:49
When I say "Hear Hear," it sounds more like "Hair Hair" or "Heyar Heyar."

By the way, I had chile for lunch with chili in it, and I'll bet Tony Blair doesn't know the difference there!

President Bush

Forum Profile
Posted: 21 Jan 07 01:53

When I say "Hear Hear," it sounds more like "Hair Hair" or "Heyar Heyar."

By the way, I had chile for lunch with chili in it, and I'll bet Tony Blair doesn't know the difference there!

Tony's a closet Texan .. gets his BBQ sauce out of a tea-squeezer and ropes his cattle with a thong.

HOWEVER

Tony can sure finish out a wild Texas Saloon brawl though .. just as long as he's the one getting tossed out of the 2nd story window.

Hat's off to all you non-Texans trying to BE Texans. I almost pulled it off but as you see ..

Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 21 Jan 07 02:44
Bushy,

If you were a real Texan, you would have gone to Iraq yourself and opened up a can of whoop ass on Saddam years ago. He'd of been lynched long before he ever attacked Jessica Lynch.

You back eastern, Skull and bones, tea sippin' wannabees ain't real Texas.

Have you ever been to the Rocky Mountain Oyster Festival in El Paso (no, doesn't taste like chicken). The Rattlesnake Round-up in Sweetwater (not like chicken either)? Have you ever eaten Fajitas at the original cook-off in Robstown or chili at Terlingua? Ever seen Big Tex as the state fair? Ever pick your breakfast off the tree in the valley (or eat at El Pato while there)? Have you eaten mariachis in Laredo? How about going to the street in Athens (birthplace of the hamburger) where they've got three Dairy Queens on one intersection (you'd probably eat a DQ Dude instead of a Hungerbuster)? Do you still hate the break-up of the old Southwest Conference? Have you ever spit a mile after drinking Beeville water? Can you pronounce Falfurrias, Studybutte, or Bexas and get it right? Ever been to any of them? Before Alaska joined the union, know which town called itself "the biggest city in the biggest county in the biggest state in the country?" Can you name the front four on the famous Doomesday Defense? Are you one of those pansies that thinks that bbq is supposed to be sweet with honey and not hot and spicy? Did you only get your first pair of boots after Urban Cowboy came out? Do your flags include the stars and stripes, the stars and bars, and all other flags that flown over this land? Do you remember the Republic of the Rio Grande and remember where it was headquartered? Have you shed a tear at the Alamo thinking of your heritage, or did you cheer on Ozzy Osborne when he crapped on the sacred monument in the early 80's? (and there's still a warrant out for that sickos arrest in San Antonio because their is no statute of limitations for that sacrilage)

I may live in New Mexico now, boy, but I'm Texas to the bone. I know the right answers to all of the above questions. I may live in New Mexico now, but look at a map of the original map of the Republic of Texas. We had most of New Mexico and parts of Oklahoma, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona when we joined this country.

You may own a ranch in Texas, but you're no more Texan than John Kerry.

Gnarly Erik
This user is offline Gnarly Dude
Gnarly Erik

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Jan 07 06:53
Lissen up Mr. Peno and Mr. Pressydint -

Iffen us Alaskaners hear much more bitchen outen yew boys down there in the dust bowl cactus patch lizard ranch wasted land areas, we'uns may jist have to give you a liddle lessun.

We'll by God split our'n state in HALF. Right then and there that'll make Texas THIRD in size! 'Course we could jist head on down and give the place an enema. Then, little Rhode Island would probably put you'uns entire useless region in the shade.

Christ's sakes - then yew could scrape up enny good parts in the whole damned place, and throw 'em in the back of that 250 Ford pickem uptruck and go head off to live sommers decent with 'em!

Jist a notion.

Gnarly Erik

Gnarly & Opinionated
President Bush

Forum Profile
Posted: 21 Jan 07 10:47 - Edited By: President Bush, 21 Jan 07 11:49
Laura do we have a state called 'Laska?
Mr Erik says he's from around those parts.
Is that that thing up there by Santa's Workshop?

Gnarly Erik
Gnarly Erik

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Jan 07 16:21

Quote: President Bush

Laura do we have a state called 'Laska?
Mr Erik says he's from around those parts.
Is that that thing up there by Santa's Workshop?

Well,that does it! We'uns took a vote and an enema for your region it is. But, my boys insist on disposable bags, a Habenero pepper based enema media and an insertion of the "Douche" type tip at Crawford, TX.

Sorry Mr. Pressydint, but you have only brought this on yerselves, jist like that stupid war you got us all in. Only serves yew right . . .

Gnarly

Gnarly & Opinionated
Jalapenoman
Jalapenoman

Forum Profile
Posted: 21 Jan 07 16:45
Habaneros are good. I still prefer jalapenos for the flavor, but habaneros are nice. I also like anaheims, poblanos, and pequins. Serranos are over-rated.

For a really good presidentail enema, I'd make a chopped up blend of habaneros and pequins for the big guy and then make him rub his eyes and his crotch.

President Bush

Forum Profile
Posted: 21 Jan 07 17:01 - Edited By: President Bush, 21 Jan 07 17:15

Quote: Gnarly Erik
Well,that does it! We'uns took a vote and an enema for your region it is. But, my boys insist on disposable bags, a Habenero pepper based enema media and an insertion of the "Douche" type tip at Crawford, TX.

You know, inserting an external www link like you just did once got me banned in the old days from the Spoof and all my stories destroyed. That's all I did wrong. Insert an external link in a forum message. Like YOU just did.

Thank the Polar God or whichever god watches over your place-'O-ice that the Lowtons are free wheel'n spirits. They won't ban you for inserting an external link will they?

:

Hello?

You still THERE Mr Erik?

Pressydint's NOTE -> Kinda intriguing story-line you got there Mr Peno .. the Presidential Enema thing. Too bad nobody can write it coz STARS no longer exist at this place. Go ahead, write it anyway, I'll not give you push-ups for it coz you'll get no stars for it anyway.

dub
ya

Gnarly Erik
Gnarly Erik

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Jan 07 18:07

You know, inserting an external www link like you just did once got me banned in the old days from the Spoof and all my stories destroyed. That's all I did wrong. Insert an external link in a forum message. Like YOU just did.

Thank the Polar God or whichever god watches over your place-'O-ice that the Lowtons are free wheel'n spirits. They won't ban you for inserting an external link will they?

:

Hello?

You still THERE Mr Erik?

Pressydint's NOTE -> Kinda intriguing story-line you got there Mr Peno .. the Presidential Enema thing. Too bad nobody can write it coz STARS no longer exist at this place. Go ahead, write it anyway, I'll not give you push-ups for it coz you'll get no stars for it anyway.

dub
ya

Yepper Mr. Pressydint - still here, and yepper lot's o' ICE n' snow around these parts. But we're used to it and it's no biggie - jist part of our world. An' iffen there's a prohibition on links it is not publicized (to my knowledge - and I LOOKED), and the format DOES include a provision for INSERTING links - so jist where does my little train run off the tracks here ennyhow?

I may expand on the enema theme at that. I am getting awfully tired of vaginas in every flavor and size.

Habaneros it is!

Gnarly

Gnarly & Opinionated
President Bush

Forum Profile
Posted: 22 Jan 07 02:39 - Edited By: President Bush, 22 Jan 07 02:47

Yepper Mr. Pressydint - still here, and yepper lot's o' ICE n' snow around these parts. But we're used to it and it's no biggie - jist part of our world. An' iffen there's a prohibition on links it is not publicized (to my knowledge - and I LOOKED)
Gnarly

Check out THIS jewel Mr Erik (copied and pasted from the Spoof's Policies, directives, edicts and commands) .. click the SITE MAP LINK .. find it to see with your own eyes ..

Excessive or "spam" linking in either stories or in the forum will not be tolerated and will be seen as breaching these Terms and Conditions.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. In the old days .. the law was held to the fullest and justice was swift and true. Like Mr Kerry's boat. Apparently the powers that WERE at the time thought my ONE TIME external link was .. "excessive."

nuff said.

Gnarly Erik
Gnarly Erik

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 22 Jan 07 04:47

Yepper Mr. Pressydint - still here, and yepper lot's o' ICE n' snow around these parts. But we're used to it and it's no biggie - jist part of our world. An' iffen there's a prohibition on links it is not publicized (to my knowledge - and I LOOKED)
Gnarly

Check out THIS jewel Mr Erik (copied and pasted from the Spoof's Policies, directives, edicts and commands) .. click the SITE MAP LINK .. find it to see with your own eyes ..

Excessive or "spam" linking in either stories or in the forum will not be tolerated and will be seen as breaching these Terms and Conditions.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. In the old days .. the law was held to the fullest and justice was swift and true. Like Mr Kerry's boat. Apparently the powers that WERE at the time thought my ONE TIME external link was .. "excessive."

nuff said.

Well, thar yew go Mr. Pressydint. I reckon yew kin read after all - and I stands kerreckted. Thet statement is in fakt there, oncet I found the terms & konditions.

Howsomevers it still hain't quite 'nuff said' as yewd have me believe. Thet 'condtion' does leave a lot to be desired being so loosely defined n' all. How's an honest, dedicated, non-edukated, good-looking, intellighent, tolerant, smooth operating, productive member of our'n society to know jist whut 'excessive' or for thet matter 'spam' is? Kinda defined like yer missing WMD's Mr. Pressydint, iffen yew don't mind me a-saying so.

So's long as I's not 'spamming' thru evil intent (selling something or steering sumbody to a site fer the purpose) - but only to edukate sumbody - like yew Mr. Pressydint, iffen yew don't mind me a-saying so - I don't see's as the editors oughten to have airy complaints.

As fer 'excessive', why all's I has to say is thet iffen sum editor thoughten yer ONE TIME was excessive, why then I'd reckon theys in violation of theys own policy! Butt, I'd reckon yewd have tew stand up fer yerself on thet so don't be a-looking to me to help yew out thar.

But, I truly does 'preciate yew pointing things out to me Mr. Pressydint - kinda like a hall monitor n' all - but iffen yew don't mind and lessens the editors himselfs don't have airy comments about a link here'n thar, why I guess I jist moughten keep on a-doing it, innocent n' all like yew unnerstand. An' hain't nobody 'cepting yew had ennything tew say about it yet.

In other wurds Mr. Pressydint, jist who in the ding dong Hell went and appointed YEW the gol-rammed hall monitor? I'm sayin' that with all due respekt of course - with 'due' being the operative wurd.

Yew could taken it up with the Department of Homeland Security iffen yew likes I 'spose, but iffen they does the kinda job they usually does (nobody knows whut thet is) I won't have a whole lots tew wurry about.

Now, iffen yewl 'scuse me, I need to go n' find sumbody to impregnate before it gits too late'n the day. Maybe I'll git lucky and won't have to settle fer one a' them Texakan split-tails whut always a-kummin to Alaska a-looking fer real men. Must be kinda short-changed whar theyr frum iffen yewl 'scuse my pun.

Gnarly Erik

Gnarly & Opinionated
Gnarly Erik
Gnarly Erik

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 22 Jan 07 22:34

Quote: (President Bush)

dub
ya

(Gnarly Erik)

I may expand on the enema theme at that. I am getting awfully tired of vaginas in every flavor and size.

Habaneros it is!

Gnarly

Well Mr. Peenie Man - don't bother. I went ahead and writ hit:

http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s3i13963

Gnarly Erik

Gnarly & Opinionated

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum