This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Stuck in The Netherlands

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 24 Oct 06 15:47
Hi all, I'm currently in The Netherlands at a conference in the University of Uwenta in Enschede.

Please help keep me entertained while I'm here. No doubt I'll have quite a bit of time on my hands while I'm 'listening' to lots of 'interesting' talks

Only problem is I don't have a power socket adapter and my battery ain't gonna last long!

Spoofing all over the world
KendoMonkey
This user is offline Chief Clown

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 24 Oct 06 16:23
When are you going to get rid of that ridiculous moustache? Or at least trade it in for a beard of bees?

toothpaste-diet - fun AND silly
Neil Levine
This user is offline Deleted

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 24 Oct 06 16:54
Have you considered hiring a guide dog or a German sherpa? Particularly one who knows the ins and outs of the local architecture?

What in the world are you doing there? Did you make a wrong turn at the border? Did you forget to write?

My translation claims it is the University of Twente. Is it possible?

We have institutions of hirer larnin here' in the USA, but sometimes you have to strike out on your own.

Spreken zie deutsche? Please keep in mind thespoof is English language oriented.

neil

Gail Farrelly
This user is offline Spoof Chick

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 25 Oct 06 00:58
Mark,

If you get bored at the convention, a good way to spend some time is by observing the "characters" around you and maybe writing some fiction. I'm not kidding. I was once at an academic convention where a professor, who was a long way from home, was the victim of a mugging. A random event or a planned attack? I wondered. It seemed the perfect beginning for a book of mystery fiction about academics. This became the plot of my first mystery novel, the story about a professor who is killed while attending a finance convention in Boston.

So my advice is -- keep your eyes open, but watch your back!

Have a safe trip home.

Cheers,
Gail

Neil Levine

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 25 Oct 06 04:14
Yeah, wasn't it Caesar, Julius, who complained, "Et tu, Brute!"

neil

Neil Levine

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 25 Oct 06 15:47
I just realized you've got a Dutch Treat. I guess that's like saying His Honor Edward Irving "Mayatollah" Koch was supposed to help, but never did.

Yes, it is ancient history.

neil

Craig E. Laycock
This user is offline Mister President
Craig E. Laycock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 25 Oct 06 19:02
Netherlands you say? Bored you say?

A CERTAIN LIGHT DISTRICT, I say.

<div align=center>Kiss my Spoof-Hole.</div>
Neil Levine

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 25 Oct 06 22:43
Link not work. Think is bruk. But why go Dutch when things are no worse in the UK. Is aMereeca that is run by the Purtitans.

neil

Neil Levine

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 25 Oct 06 22:44
Anyone want to discuss stocks and bonds instead?

Link:
http://useless-knowledge.net/viewtopic.php?p=7936#7936

jd Balderdash
This user is offline juvenile delinquent

Forum Profile
 Email
Posted: 26 Oct 06 00:11 - Edited By: jd Balderdash, 26 Oct 06 00:21
I guess a good 2.5 questions would be

1) Why you're in the Netherlands of all places in the first place (there's a logical REASON they named it that)

and

2) Ok, Paul has a point about the mustache but that's for a different thread I guess and

2.5) There's a way to embed images in these posts. I forgot how. The great Charles Van Horn taught us this trick but I think he's dead. Or over in the Netherlands somewhere. Will that trick remain secret Jedi Harry Potter knowledge or do we need to track down how to do it again. By the way, we love the stache Mark .. your bro's just josh'n. Right Paul?

Right?

Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 26 Oct 06 13:31

Quote: Neil Levine
My translation claims it is the University of Twente. Is it possible?

Yes, you're absolutely right it's Twente - me's a stupid!

Conference is going well. Gave my presentation yesterday with no major screw-ups so I was pleased.

Keynote was excellent. It was given by this guy Prof. Kevin Warwick. He does work in robotics and cybernetics. He likes to experiment with himself, like latching onto his nervous system and using the signals from his brain to his arm to operate a robotic arm.

I found a plug socket adaptor! 1hr battery remaining. Must conserve energy. Ciao!

Neil Levine

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 26 Oct 06 17:28
Believe it or not (please don't smirk), but I went to a science high school and engineering graduate school and have had more than one portable gizmo (such as a one inch tv screen) that plugged into the wall with an ac/dc converter that cost like ten to twenty bucks retail plus tax meaning I did not have to rely on batteries that died rather quickly and whose cost surpassed that of the power converter.

I hope this is a useful suggestion as you also need an internet connection.

neil

Craig E. Laycock
This user is offline Mister President
Craig E. Laycock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 27 Oct 06 00:06 - Edited By: Craig E. Laycock, 27 Oct 06 00:07

Quote: Mark Lowton

Keynote was excellent. It was given by this guy Prof. Kevin Warwick. He does work in robotics and cybernetics. He likes to experiment with himself, like latching onto his nervous system and using the signals from his brain to his arm to operate a robotic arm.

You fall asleep watching Robocop again, Mark?

On a side-note, I also like experimenting with myself; although usually with other body parts and much higher voltages.

<div align=center>Kiss my Spoof-Hole.</div>
Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 29 Oct 06 12:09
Back in the UK now. Spent most of yesterday in Amsterdam. Sadly had no time for coffee! I went to Rembrandt's museum gallery thing and 'Anne Frank's House'. Both quite interesting, but also on opposite ends of the city - and I had no map!

If you get the time, go visit there. I'll probably go back some day for a longer look. It's a very short trip from UK and cheap too. Everyone speaks English, so it's pretty much hassle free.

Neil Levine

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 31 Oct 06 16:10
Still stuck?

neil

SPLINT
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 24 Feb 07 12:43
YOUR BORED AND BATRY FLAT HOOK UP TO PUSHIE AND PEDDLE LIKE CRAZY U MIGHT GET ENOUGH POWER.
GOOD LUCK BETTER YOU THAN ME

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum