Forum Home / Login / Register

This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / World's last living Nazi war crimes prosecutor passes on chilling message about conflict

[This topic is LOCKED]

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
AuthorMessage
Erskin Quint
This user is offline Opium-eater
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 9 May 17 12:41
Article Here

Worth a read. Contains this quote:

Reflecting on his experiences, Mr Ferencz issued an important message about war. He said the Nazi soldiers who committed atrocities were not "savages" but "intelligent, patriotic human being[s]", and that war can make any normal person do horrifying things.
"Do you think the man who dropped the nuclear bomb on Hiroshima was a savage?", he asked.
"Now I will tell you something very profound, which I have learned after many years. War makes murderers out of otherwise decent people. All wars, and all decent people."

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 10 May 17 06:59
They called Red Indians "savages" which proves one thing; if you catch a pot calling a kettle black it means white is the color we should call black.

And if everything is black or white why are humans so blinded by color?

Evil is perpetrated by fear of the difference, hence, as long humans fear they will kill..

Nutters United...
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 May 17 13:02
From Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five:

'I myself have seen the bodies of schoolgirls who were boiled alive in a water tower by my own countrymen, who were proud of fighting pure evil at the time.' This was true. Billy saw the boiled bodies in Dresden. 'And I have lit my way in a prison at night with candles from the fat of human beings who were butchered by the brothers and fathers of those school girls who were boiled.'

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Sir Geoffroy Cockface
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 May 17 15:06
I don't get it. So is war good or bad?

I'm going to go back to reading the 1982 annual of my favourite comic strip, Corky's Magic Udders.

Dr. Billingsgate
This user is offline Academic zero, literary hero

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 May 17 15:14 - Edited By: Dr. Billingsgate, 10 May 17 15:20
During the Vietnam War, I was an officer on a ship that deployed with nuclear warheads in its arsenal. Although I wasn't directly involved in any potential use of these weapons, I believe that we would have used them only if China or Russia had initiated a nuclear attack against USA interests.

Obviously, there were certain fail-safe measures to prevent our Captain from independently arming our missiles and firing them. However, I am sure that if ordered by the President, he would have carried out the order. In no way would I consider any of my shipmates "savages."

As is in the case of the bombing of Hiroshima, anytime you are attacked by another nation, and it is considered an act of war, any action to win the war can be more easily justified. However, in the case of the Germans involved in the killings of civilians, it is easier to make the case of them being savages.

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 May 17 19:40
Well, surely that's up to you. Seems to me the 2 extracts just point out the complexity and the facts, and encourage us to try to be enlightened.

I think war is probably inevitable when you have 'nations'.

Quote: Sir Geoffroy Cockface

I don't get it. So is war good or bad?

I'm going to go back to reading the 1982 annual of my favourite comic strip, Corky's Magic Udders.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Sir Geoffroy Cockface
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 May 17 20:48
Ah, I didn't realise it was a serious conversation.

It reminds me of when Corky was trapped in a secret Nazi lair, until he rubbed his magic udders and drowned the beastly fascists in milk.

victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 May 17 01:34
I would like to learn more of this Corky whether real or imagined.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 11 May 17 07:59
Inglorious B's knees here I guess!

Nutters United...
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 May 17 08:59
Ah, I see: you're being satirical.

We don't have conversations here: there aren't enough of us.

However, to continue in your serious vein, I always liked Korky The Cat in The Dandy.

Oh to be there again with The Dandy Summer Special.

Where did it all go?

It went where absolutely everything goes: into nothing.

Quote: Sir Geoffroy Cockface

Ah, I didn't realise it was a serious conversation.

It reminds me of when Corky was trapped in a secret Nazi lair, until he rubbed his magic udders and drowned the beastly fascists in milk.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 May 17 09:08 - Edited By: Erskin Quint, 11 May 17 09:16
For Mr G Cockface, -

if you are having, er, issues with udders and their ramifications, then this might be the thing for you:

Living in Udder Fantasy: Tired of living his life in filth with his nagging mother, a naïve young adventurer decides to embark on an epic quest that is given to him by his dead milkman father. The boy is accompanied on his journey by a swashbuckling car salesman and a singing eunuch. High fantasy, adventure, and stupidity ensue as they seek out the legendary golden calf who gives chocolate milk.
This episode is a bit more vulgar than our usual fare. Because of this, we are giving it an explicit rating

Udder Fantasy

Failing that, we would recommend seeing a suitably experienced and qualified professional person (NOT a farmer; most definitely NOT a farmer).

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 May 17 13:05
JO

Udder sounds very Dutch, perhaps Protestant, near Vollendam and and Markham.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 11 May 17 17:06
VC, your geographical knowledge of the lowlands is quite outstanding, I sense you mean Uden? Uddel? Urmond? even Uithuizermeeden?

Never mind, they're all as flat as a pancake and were even flatter after Adolf marched over them...

Nutters United...
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 May 17 22:30
Good to see that we can have an intelligent conversation about these things.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Dr. Billingsgate
This user is offline Academic zero, literary hero

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 01:01
Upon reflection, if any of us joined Spoof to have an intelligent conversation, we are looking up a dead dog's ass.

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens.
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 01:19 - Edited By: victor nicholas, 12 May 17 02:42
No but your suggestion of Uden, Uddel, Urmond even Uithuizemeeden has the makings of a good Octoberfest drinking song Oi Oi Oi!

I did pass through the lowlands as a young man and recall lace curtains in the windows of homes in historic villages, sailboats with leeboards and youth football teams in uniform marching past me while I was enjoying a herring burger, or is this simply an idyllic dream longing for fruition.

Quote: Jaggedone

VC, your geographical knowledge of the lowlands is quite outstanding, I sense you mean Uden? Uddel? Urmond? even Uithuizermeeden?

Never mind, they're all as flat as a pancake and were even flatter after Adolf marched over them...

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 12 May 17 07:44
Not wishing to upset EQ too much VC; yes Holland has its quaint areas. However, things aint quite what they used to be and demographic movements, like in all of Europe, have changed the face of many towns, cities, etc.

Holland is still a pleasant place to live, I am not a great fan of it, but it's a lot better than many surrounding countries, including the UK (unless you have bags of bucks). They deal with the huge difference between haves and have nots in a good, respectful way, and as mentioned, much better than the UK. Perfect is nowhere, so a compromise is the best one can achieve, and Holland is good for that...

Yes you are right; Die deutsche Krankheit, OktoberFest, has also invaded Holland and seeing Dutch people dressed like Bavarian Lederhosen Pissartists is quite amusing!

Nutters United...
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 10:56
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read......

Quote: Dr. Billingsgate

Upon reflection, if any of us joined Spoof to have an intelligent conversation, we are looking up a dead dog's ass.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 11:04
Were you on a mountaineering expedition?

I must say that the 'youth football teams in uniform marching past' is quite the sinister image.

I think the sight of youth football teams marching through lace-chimneyed historic villages, with sailboards with leeboats and herrings drying in tulip-festooned cottage-gardens, would be quite enough to trigger my fight or flight mechanisms.

Quote: victor nicholas

No but your suggestion of Uden, Uddel, Urmond even Uithuizemeeden has the makings of a good Octoberfest drinking song Oi Oi Oi!

I did pass through the lowlands as a young man and recall lace curtains in the windows of homes in historic villages, sailboats with leeboards and youth football teams in uniform marching past me while I was enjoying a herring burger, or is this simply an idyllic dream longing for fruition.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 12:52
Erskin

Mountaineering in the lowlands is not without it's dangers as I recall losing an alarm clock shortly thereafter.

The good natured insanity of the populace would no doubt make JO hard to pick out in a crowd.

Quote: Erskin Quint

I must say that the 'youth football teams in uniform marching past' is quite the sinister image.

I think the sight of youth football teams marching through lace-chimneyed historic villages, with sailboards with leeboats and herrings drying in tulip-festooned cottage-gardens, would be quite enough to trigger my fight or flight mechanisms.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 14:25
You have painted a wonderful picture there though, worthy of many a Dutch master.

Erskin

Mountaineering in the lowlands is not without it's dangers as I recall losing an alarm clock shortly thereafter.

The good natured insanity of the populace would no doubt make JO hard to pick out in a crowd.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 12 May 17 15:09 - Edited By: Jaggedone, 12 May 17 15:10
The Dutch tend to be thin, tall, totally misunderstood, high as kytes and always believing they are more important than they are. Hence, being ancient, rather thick around the waist and a total loony, I guess it would be difficult spotting me at the Gay parade because I have never been there and pink tight panties really do not flatter my superb physique.

VC, away from crazy Amsterdam you would spot me no doubt. Here in this rather mundane (with hills actually) part of Holland I am lucky to be able to cross the border into Germany (5 minutes) and enjoy the sanity that once was insanity and the rest is history...

In fact, I prefer Germany to Holland, nice people, great beer, wine, and food, and much cheaper than here. However, my wife is Dutch, and the rest is history again!

Nutters United...
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 20:11
To get back on topic, it's time for this again:

Surrealist Compliment Generator

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 22:46 - Edited By: victor nicholas, 12 May 17 22:54
The same author must have written surrealistic assembly instructions for all goods made in China or Mexico.

I can understand Mexico wanting to increase sales of alcohol as result but not China's motives, they are inscrutable by nature or design.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 May 17 22:56 - Edited By: victor nicholas, 13 May 17 00:03
Vollendam is a good memory well remembered

You have painted a wonderful picture there though, worthy of many a Dutch master.

Erskin

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum