This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Great Sporting Obscenities

[This topic is LOCKED]

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
AuthorMessage
Clive Danton
This user is offline Writer
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 06:36
There's been a few down the years hasn't there folks? The death struggle in the gladiatorial arena, bear baiting, jelly wrestling and anything involving Millwall football club. So it saddens me beyond words to see that we're to be treated to another unedifying spectacle in the shape of former England test cricketer, and a very fine one I might add, Andrew Flintoff donning the gloves and jamming in the gumshield before embarking on a new career in the ring this Friday where's he's pitted against a 23 year old American fighter with a thus far unblemished record and a punch that could stop a charging bull in its tracks by all accounts.

Sadly this charade is being endorsed by Irish fight legend Barry McGuigan who is trying to whip the perennially crocked Flintoff into shape for the fight.

As someone who has actually been on the wrong side of the ropes, leading with my face and pissing blood in the changing room after a fight I can quite categorically state that there's a world of difference between achieving cardio vascular excellence by jumping rope, pounding the heavy bag and shlepping through the rain at 4.00am doing roadwork (I still cant believe I used to do that shit)and being smashed from arseole to Saturday by a lumbering 17 stone male with a bad attitude and hands of stone.

McGuigan, a thoroughly decent man and a mighty fighter in his day should hang his head in shame at his part in what promoter Frank Malone has dubbed "car crash TV". Then again McGuigan is also an advocate of women's boxing, an abomination and an utter disgrace in my opinion.

I seriously question the motives of any male who wants to watch two young girls beating each other around the head and body for 6 rounds or so and would suggest that their mums should have drowned them in a bucket shortly after birth.

I foresee pain and humiliation for Flintoff and more infamy tarnishing what is known as "The Sweet Science and what for for me is the noblest sport of them all.

Is this the right forum for a forum?
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 14:40
There was me thinking this thread was about notorious incidents of sporting swearing.

I was going to mention the time my mother came to watch me playing mens football for the first time and was shocked to the core when she heard me yell, "for fucks sake ref!", after being scythed down by a Ron "Chopper" Harris lookalike.

What then followed was an incident very similar to a few here. Following the brutal assault on my ankle I was cut and pasted to the oppositions crossbar before being set upon to a ratio of 11 to 1 and then folded like a little girl afterwards.

I was going to mention it, but I won't now.

Anyway, having read Clives post I now realise this thread has nowt to do with swearing.

I have been following Flintoff's progress by watching the show that accompanies his efforts to become a pro boxer, I believe it's called 'Flintoff: From Lord's To A Crowded A+E Department On A Friday Night,' or something.

Anyway, I was very sceptical about this career move. I've heard some say it's a publicity stunt. For who? I hardly think old Freddie needs the publicity. Money? I doubt it. He looks like he is very serious about making a go of it. Of course, it could all end in tears and possibly a trip to Harley Street to get his squashed nose fixed but it all seems genuine to me.

Flintoff has been granted a licence by the BBBC, some well known boxers can't get one of them because of their idiotic antics. Mind you, my missus has a driving licence but that doesn't mean I think she should drive. Not after the last time. I'm still picking bits of the dashboard out from under my fingers nails.

I doubt someone like McGuigan would allow a fellow human being to enter the ring if they weren't prepared.

I hope he wins, like Clive does in every writing compo, and silences the doubters. Although, he may get his face smashed in and make a fool of himself. We'll find out soon enough.

As for womans boxing. Not something I watch but if they want to try the noble art then who's to stop 'em. Men watching two women beat the living snot out of each other is no different from women watching two men doing the same, in my possibly warped opinion.

C'mon Freddie, just imagine the other guy is Ricky Ponting and he's nicked your ashes!

Simon "The Shadow" Saunders

Currently discussing possible legal action with his lawyer after not winning the writing compo
Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 16:23
^^^^^^^ "Bonecrusher" Saunders in fine combative mood there folks.

Gonna have to agree to disagree on this one Simon old son.

While I dont for one moment doubt Flintoff's commitment to making a go of this rather foolhardy venture I do have a problem with the BBBC who have granted a novice 34 year old man with no fight conditioning a license to step into the ring with a 17 stone bull who in two fights has knocked one opponent unconscious and smashed in the ribcage of another.

Now Flintoff's a man and I dont give a damn whether he climbs out of ring on the shoulders of his cornermen or is carried out in a pine box, but the man has a wife and children who do care.

For me the whole thing stinks to high heaven. Somebody's making money from this circus freakshow and that's wrong IMHO. This isnt a sport to be taken lightly Simon. People get killed participating in it.

Women's boxing is filth and degrading to the fair sex. Men who watch it deserve a bullet in the neck. I've done some research and conducted a long and convoluted argument with a uni graduate female fighter and blogger on The Huff and even she conceded some of the points I was making about safety, damage to the female reproductive organs, breast tissue etc. It should be outlawed and replaced with girls in bikinis wrestling in whipped cream and the sooner the better.

Seriously though female fighting is wrong and a fucking abomination! FACT!

Marvin Hagler, one of the greatest middleweights of all time has poured scorn on this nonsense and fears for Flintoff's safety.

I'm rather inclined to agree with the great man

Francois Dubois, S.J.
Francois Dubois, S.J.

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 16:27
I too was a practitioner of the Sweet Science back in the ought-60's. I boxed in the Golden Gloves to impress my father. He wasn't awed, but happy I had it in me.

I won the 165# class in Charleston and was, fortunate enough to escape the state championship by getting kicked out of Mt. Vernon Nazarene College for drinking--and getting caught drunk in the Mr. Vernon, Ohio Hospital Parking lot by the College President.

In the Navy, I got an R&R pass to fight an Aussie sailor in a three-round smoker in Sydney. I whupped his blonde ass around the ring for twenty-seven seconds. Then he Waltz my Matilda for the remaining 4,337 seconds of the fight. I didn't realize a 270 second fight lasted nearly 4,378 hours!

He felt so badly about beating me savagely that he took me home with him to his "ranch" that was ten times the size of Florida, and just as hot.

But I got even with him: I screwed his 16-year-old sister silly.

Boxing is not a sport for cricket players used to running back and forth, back and forth. He'll have no bat thingy to use on this kid's head.

Personally, I like celebrity death match much more. It's on YouTube.

"And the lowly dogs licked Gaztopimus clean as he slept."
From the Lost Gospels of the SSHites: Chapter 6, verse 48
Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 16:48
Laydeeez and chennelmen! Preeesenting and introdoocin' to you. He weighs in at a ready 215lbs with a rekkord of 5000 plus great spoofs, winnin' all 5000 by way of beautiful wordsmithery. "Fightin' Frankie Dubooooooooooois!!!!!

Leeeeets get ready to stuuuuuuuumble!!!!

Love it

PS Love celebrity death match too

Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 17:22
The War!

Ok listen up you fight fans. If you want to see boxing in all it's balletic beauty and bestial savagery watch the above link and witness what is arguably the greatest fight of all times. The Ring called it "the most electrifying eight minutes of boxing ever" and I aint gonna disagree with em.

Two of the greatest middleweights that ever drew breath in a brutal display of conditioning, endurance, skill and above all, sheer fighting heart.

The sight of the brooding, blood soaked Hagler being born around the ring by his corner as the mighty Hitman Hearns was carried from the ring on his shield like the true warrior he was is one of the iconic moments in the history of the fight game.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful stuff indeed!

Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 18:52 - Edited By: Simon Saunders, 30 Nov 12 19:09
Clive,

I enjoy a bit of sparring, verbally speaking of course, and I know for a fact that I couldn't fight me way out of a wet paper bag. I've tried.

I've huge respect for those who partake in a spot of the old pugalism just as long as they abide by the Marquess of Queensbury's rules.

One thing we would agree on is that Flintoff is probably making a mistake. If I were advising him I'd tell him to stick to doing the telly and those adverts for fat blokes clothes before going home at night to his lovely missus and kids. He's not short of a bob or two and he doesn't need to boost his profile as he's one of the best known cricketers the world has seen in the last 15 years. Only second to me and my majestic cover drive. If I remember I'll post a video of it on here some time.

*mimes stroking the ball through the covers and watching it roll over the boundary ropes*

As for the BBBC, well I honestly have no idea what criteria you have to fulfil to get a licence. I would hope they made their decision based on his abilities rather than because of who he is. I would've thought Flintoff should of had a couple of amateur fights first just to see if he can hack it.

I have to respectfully disagree about womens boxing. I don't doubt that they can suffer damage to their girly bits but I'm a bit of a libertarian when it comes to this sort of thing. Just like sex, so long as it's between two consenting adults I couldn't care less what they do to each other. I don't watch it and probably never will, womans boxing not other people having sex. I spend hours watching others having sex as my internet browser history will confirm. Anyway, that's for another thread.

Part of me hopes he does get a beating then quits. I'd rather remember him as a world class cricketer sticking it to the Aussies than as a journeyman boxer with a Mike Gatting nose and cauliflower ears.

Someone will be making money from this but I don't think Flintoff is an idiot, he wouldn't be pushed into this unless he wants to do it.

Clive is right of course, people do get killed boxing and the whole point of it is to smash your opponents face off. However, the probability of dying is fairly small. I've just read that 1.3 out of every 100,000 boxing participants get killed. I can only assume the .3 is a bantamweight fighter. Seriously though, there are a number of more dangerous sports and of course most of them aren't designed to hurt. I can't argue with the fact that many boxers suffer long lasting damage after a career in the ring but the chances of death are slim.

Take motor sports, a couple of guys died the other week at the same meeting. A fella died at the Dakar rally this year, two more motorbike deaths at the Manz Grand Prix as well. The Isle of Man TT event is notorious. Lee Richardson, a speedway rider, died this year.

As I said, boxing is obviously dangerous but a number of other sports have a higher percentage of deaths per participants.

As for marvellous Marvin Hagler, it's fair enough to have worries for Freddie's safety but to counter that Sugar Ray Leonard and Mike Tyson have been very encouraging to Flintoff. Mind you, Tyson is an idiot so I'd take what he says with a pinch of salt!

I notice David Price commented on this being disrespectful to boxing. This coming from a man who took a fight against that joke Fraudley Harrison and beat him in less than two minutes. I'd say that did more damage to heavyweight boxings image than Flintoff will do. In fact, heavyweight boxing is not exactly on a high at the moment.

That's my take on it all. However misguided it may be!

Clive, nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. I respect your opinion on this because you've had the balls to get into the ring and I haven't, never will.

Simon

Currently discussing possible legal action with his lawyer after not winning the writing compo
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 18:56
Anyway, lets return to childish toilet humour.

May I begin by saying the word boobies.

There, I feel better all ready.

Simon

Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 19:17
Stop arguing or I'll squeam and squeam until I'm sthick!!!

AND THAT'S MY LAST WORD ON THIS ONE!

armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Nov 12 20:01
Everyone boxed when I was a kid, it was the norm. I had my first boxing gloves at six years old, new they were, 8oz.
I was a good boxer, always came second. I remember my first bout, I bobbed and weaved, bit of the old Ali shuffle, off the left foot, back on the right, then the bastard hit me.

But seriously, I love boxing, been around it all my life, even in the army. It is a noble sport. More disciplined than many other sports. I wish I had taken it more seriously when I think back. But birds booze and fags became more important. Stood me in good stead when I started working the door of "Jingles" nightclub in Earls Court, I was only fifteen at the time.

Arm xxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 20:58
The 1992 division two play-off final was a true sporting obscenity.

My beloved Leicester City faced the recently Jack Walker-fied Blackburn Rovers at Wembley. My first visit to the hallowed stadium it was.

Imagine my disgust when the diving little shit David Speedie folded like a little girl under a Steve Walsh challenge thus winning a penalty. Said penalty was converted by former Leicester striker Mike Newell.

A double wammy of sporting obscenity.

The irony is Speedie became a Foxes hero when he joined us a couple of years later and helped to secure another play-off final by scoring the winner in the semi's. Then we beat local rivals Derby to make the Premier League. Sweet, sweet victory.

I was also the first person to get his name printed on my shirt after he signed for us.

Fickle? Nah.

Francois Dubois, S.J.
Francois Dubois, S.J.

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Nov 12 21:07 - Edited By: Francois Dubois, S.J., 30 Nov 12 21:08
Indeed Hearns and Haggler's battle was epic. But in the wake of the loss of Hector Camacho this week, the fight where he threw six consecutive uppercuts to floor Ray Leonard, then hit him with another to overwhelm him was incredible.

Sure, Leonard was 40--but Hector also gave us "No mas!" against Roberto Duran, who I thought was a better hitter than Leonard.

Remember that fight?

But of all the epic fights (Balboa notwithstanding) those of Ali vs. Frazier were the very best I ever saw.

As for pure, unadulterated legal mayhem & terror: Mike Tyson! No doubt about it.

Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 05:02
Freddie Flintoff spoof on the way guys. hehehe

Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 05:06 - Edited By: Clive Danton, 1 Dec 12 05:09

Quote: Francois Dubois, S.J.

Indeed Hearns and Haggler's battle was epic. But in the wake of the loss of Hector Camacho this week, the fight where he threw six consecutive uppercuts to floor Ray Leonard, then hit him with another to overwhelm him was incredible.

Sure, Leonard was 40--but Hector also gave us "No mas!" against Roberto Duran, who I thought was a better hitter than Leonard.

Remember that fight?

But of all the epic fights (Balboa notwithstanding) those of Ali vs. Frazier were the very best I ever saw.

As for pure, unadulterated legal mayhem & terror: Mike Tyson! No doubt about it.

Frankie I remember all those fights including "No Mas" and "Uno Mas" when old "Hands Of Stone" ran out of dough hehehe.

All beautiful, all great.

There are literally hundreds of great wars in the boxing archives mate and nobody has a right to say which one was the greatest.........except maybe the winner of one of em

PS Flintoff stunk the joint out last night and shamed our great sport. Fortunately he got hit by one or two big bombs and has decided a rethink vis a vis his career in the ring is concerned hehehe.

Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 06:11
I've watched the fight and it was pretty poor.

Barely any punches connected. Flintoffs opponent threw about 5 meaningful punches and knocked Freddie down with one of them.

Flintoff showed intent and spent most the fight on the front foot. The other guy didn't. Hence Flintoff won on points.

Now if this guy he fought has hands of steel and a bad attitude then I'm a Dutchman. The two opponents he's beaten, knocking one of them unconscious and damaging the others ribs I can only assume they were made of polystyrene.

All this nonsense about Flintoff bringing shame on the boxing world. What about all the idiots like Tyson, Chisora, Foreman boxing at 50, Ricky Hattons pointless comeback. The list goes on

Flintoff is trying his hand at it and he won. The one who should hang his head in shame is the other guy who showed hardly any desire whatsoever.

I can't help feeling that some people in the press have the attitude "he's been a huge success in one sport so he thinks he can be a success in another. How dare he be so arrogant?"

Now, I don't see any point in him continuing. He's never gonna win any belts so why bother. I just think people, particularly the press and boxing community, should get off his back. If I were them I'd be more worried about the state of British boxing which is a bit shameful itself.

Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 06:17
Just read the Flintoff story Clive.

Had me chuckling. Loved the pic and caption.

Simon

Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 06:22
Just listened to the boxing hack for The Telegraph call this fight "ill conceived, a freakshow, potentially dangerous, and "the lowest rung of professional boxing.

Flintoff needs to collect his ill gotten gains and fuck off back to the pub before leaving the way clear for the many hungry young fighters that are toiling and sweating in gyms the length and breadth of this country who would give their eye teeth for an opportunity to fight for such a purse in front of a packed house.

For me this was no better than dwarf amputee porn and an utter disgrace that shamed the noble art.

Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 06:23

Quote: Simon Saunders

Just read the Flintoff story Clive.

Had me chuckling. Loved the pic and caption.

Simon

A compo winner if ever I saw one Simon

Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 1 Dec 12 13:18
Haven't seen the Flintoff 'fight' yet so can't comment on that. I think Clive's right about women boxing though. Not being sexist or anything - there are ample medical grounds which suggest that women boxing is not necessarily such a good idea.

Just my opinion.

Having been a fight fan for as long as I can remember, it was a joy looking at Clive's link. Mr Hagler was always one of my favourites, and Hearns could throw a punch too. I think it was Reg Gutteridge the ITV commentator at the fight who said: "And Hearns is reduced to a spot of involuntary breakdancing!" when Hagler connected.

Having been around during the golden age of the heavyweights, Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Norton, Terrell, Quarry, Holmes (In his early days) - when any one of the top ten could have been a champion in his own right, and the welter/middlewight dream years of Hagler, Leonard, Duran and co - I think as well as being priveleged I've been a bit spoiled too.

Things don't seem so great at the moment, but as usually happens, somebody will step up and become a sensation in one division or other.

Anyway, thanks for the clip Clive. I think the Hagler/Hearns fight still holds the record for the most punches traded in a title fight in history.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 16:59
A current sporting obscenity must be Fernando "El Ninnieo" Torres.

Fifty million sheets for a bloke who couldn't run over a cow with a tractor in a cow shed.

Chelsea woulda been better off bringing Kerry Dixon out of retirement instead.

Simon

PS. Clive. The Flintoff story is a sure fire winner. It make me weep with joy.

Francois Dubois, S.J.
Francois Dubois, S.J.

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Dec 12 17:28
And speaking of our dear departed Macho Camacho, his two sisters and "current" girlfriend got into a brawl at his wake in San Jose! A birch-slapping, food throwing, hair pulling two on one that the cops had to break up.

Round two will happen in New Yawk City at his second wake.

Heavy weight boxing has never had the speed (well, maybe Ali did at one time) of the welter weight division. for pure speed, those fly weights are worth every penny.

Who was the greatest? I saw Liston fight Clay on TV. Piece of shit fight. I watched Ali get his ass beaten and his jaw broken by Leon Spinks in San Diego (a hell of a fight).

I was ringside when Floyd Merriweather took his first title. He was one of the best and I think the match of any fighter near that class, Sugar Ray Leonard couldn't have taken one of his right uppercuts and not have "break danced."

My dad said Sugar Ray Robinson was the best "pound for pound" that ever lived.

I think Sugar Ray Robinson vs. Jake Lamotta was the very best fight I ever watched (on tape, I'm not quite that old).

I have serious doubts that any heavy weight could go 15 rounds anymore.

Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 1 Dec 12 21:14
15 rounds Francois?

We talking beer here or what?

As Ever

Skoob.

RIP
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 1 Dec 12 23:23
Pretty lame performance from Tyson this evening. My Nan could have put on better show. Dont think he is ready to meet Klichko yet. Shame.

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Dec 12 07:06
Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Dec 12 10:38 - Edited By: Clive Danton, 2 Dec 12 10:40

Quote: armfeetandtoe

Pretty lame performance from Tyson this evening. My Nan could have put on better show. Dont think he is ready to meet Klichko yet. Shame.

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Steady on old fruit! I think you're being extremely harsh and overly judgmental on this one dear boy.

I reckon Fury would give Mrs Klitschko at least a couple of problems in the early rounds before she retired on her stool in the 6th to get Vladimir's tea ready.

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum