This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Elementary Vs. Sherlock

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Oct 12 01:59
I saw the first episode of the US answer to Sherlock. I promised myself I'd give it a chance. Did any of you on this side of the pond see it? What were your thoughts.

I am not sure of Johnny MIller's Sherlock. As an actor, I really like him. But his Sherlock seemed way more capable of compassion than the UK version. I always thought the UK version portrayed him as someone on the spectrum of Aspberger's. The US version seems to be portraying him as a very screwed up but brilliant guy who, it seems, is capable of having real feelings. Because why else do you go into drug rehab?

Your thoughts?

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Jean Le Fete
This user is offline Deanalope
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Oct 12 03:55
I haven't seen it, but I have enjoyed the recent movies by Robert Downey Jr. Even though he is as you suggest, not a real sensitive character, he did have a sense of humor and played the eccentric extreme genius, very well. Like all of us do I suppose, but I don't like to brag.

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Clive Danton
This user is offline Writer
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Oct 12 07:54
Funnily enough I'm ploughing through the complete Sherlock Holmes case files as we speak, having downloaded it from the Kindle library where absolutely no money changed hands and I have to say that for sheer accuracy in his portrayal of the oft tortured cocaine user and opium eater there have been none better than Jeremy Brett whose mesmerising performances as the great Baker Street sleuth are as close to Conan Doyle's portayal as any I've seen.

Footnote: Leonard Nimoy of Mr Spock fame once played the great man in a Royal Shakespeare Company stage production and I bet not many people know that.

It was Holmes Jim, but not as we know him.

THE SATIRIST'S SAFE HOUSE.....IT AINT HALF SSHITE MUM
Ellis Ian Fields
Ellis Ian Fields

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Oct 12 08:35
Funny you should say that Clivey - the missus has just done the very same... Sherlock on the Kindle, I mean, of course.

Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley were a good pairing... especially the scene with the pea...

No-one speaks English and everything's broken.
Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Oct 12 11:35

Quote: Ellis Ian Fields

Funny you should say that Clivey - the missus has just done the very same... Sherlock on the Kindle, I mean, of course.

Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley were a good pairing... especially the scene with the pea...

Don't be fooled by this feeble and ill conceived platitude my proud slathering beauties, it quite clearly comes from a man who is no doubt deeply in his cups before embarking on an afternoon of sustained and tireless bumming.

What he's really saying is that his missus once portrayed Leonard Nimoy in a National Theatre Production of Star Trek. "The Wrath Of The Bummer" at The South Bank and was warmly received by both audience members and critics alike.

Below is a verbatim appraisal of her performance by the renowned theatre/TV critic and greedy foodie bastard A.A. Gill in The Sunday Times of 23 April 1989.

"The production was a complete shambles from start to finish with many cast members corpsing, forgetting their lines and vomiting in the wings.

The only ray of light was a spellbinding performance by the enchanting Mrs Ellis "The Complete And Utter Bummer" Ian Fields who gave a wonderfully evocative performance as the pointy-eared chappie Mr Spock.

Rarely have I seen such poise and beauty in a performance. I wept and guzzled foi gras by turn as she held the entire audience in her sway during the tour de force finale when she gave Scotty a savage bollocking for not getting up to warp factor 10 when it was mating season on Vulcan.

Quite simply the finest performance on a London stage by a female ever and quite why she ever married a cheap Pinot Grigio guzzling bummer like Ellis is absolutely beyond me.

A.A. Gill
Sid's Greasy Spoon
Plaistow East London

THE SATIRIST'S SAFE HOUSE.....IT AINT HALF SSHITE MUM

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum