This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Edinburgh Festival

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Simon Saunders
This user is offline Writer
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 Jul 12 05:02 - Edited By: Simon Saunders, 11 Jul 12 05:05
Just wondering if anyone will be bothering their arses to go and see anyone/anything at the Edinburgh festival this year.

I was thinking of asking Inchy if he fancies coming up and doing a show based on his 'Diary of Woe/Senior Moments'. I genuinely reckon it would be a winner.

As a resident of Edinburgh I would happily offer my services as his manager, for a small fee of course, and try to get him a venue.

The only problem is, I have no idea what a manager really does. If memory serves I think it involves wearing a sheepskin coat while furiously chewing gum and making wild gesticulations with your arms that nobody understands.

Simon

Currently discussing possible legal action with his lawyer after not winning the writing compo
Ellis Ian Fields
Ellis Ian Fields

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 Jul 12 06:54
I spent three weeks there once performing a three-hander, once-act play to empty houses in the early afternoon. Wild horses wouldn't haul me back, Simon.

We were staying in a flat down near the "other" rail station (what's it called?) - let by its owner who always got out of town during the Festival (you are staying, Simon?)

One early evening, the doorbell went. I answered and standing was a rather dishevelled-looking type.

"Is Jimmy in?"
"No, sorry. He's away for the festival - he's let the place to us for the duration."
"Oh, right. (pause, thinks). Have you got any stuff then?"

No-one speaks English and everything's broken.
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 11 Jul 12 07:00
Simon,

Thanks for the offer.

I did do just two comedy stints in me past.

One at the Musters Hotel, that failed miserably, possibly because I was sober at the time.

The second, at the RAOB club, went so well I was embarrassed, but I'd had a few, and the booked act failed to appear and I stood in, although a bit wobbly.

since the docs have barred me intake of alcohol, I ain't sure I cold do it again! Ha ha!

Bit like sex really, only I haven't done that as often.

Smile-a-while, people might think your mad, but it takes away your other problems for a short time.

cheers

Inchy

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit
pinxit

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 Jul 12 07:06

Quote: Simon Saunders
...I have no idea what a manager really does. If memory serves I think it involves wearing a sheepskin coat while furiously chewing gum and making wild gesticulations with your arms that nobody understands.

Ah, Big Ron Atkinson... whatever happened to her...?

* muse *

I see you as more of a Svengali-like manager, Simon.

A 60/40% split with your star man and a K2 tax-dodge savvy second to none.

Would love to go to the Festival, but it does get a mite frosty ooop North y'know.

So I'd settle for August in the Cayman Islands, along with the top impresarios (and moi), if I were you.

radiogagger
radiogagger

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 11 Jul 12 13:34
Si, picked up the Edinburgh festival programme last night at the Soho Theatre in London, and spent a few hours browsing the comedy pages this morning, making little ticks on stuff to see and getting inspired.

Went every year between 2000 to 2006 before marriage got in the way, boy i do miss it. Might pop up this year for a week to watch some shows.

I'd be looking for accommodation first & a manager second
do you regularly attend shows up there?
you might be too late for organising a show and venue this year, what with the programme printing deadline in april (its not essential to go in the prog but it helps)

I'd be happy to direct Inchock's Half Hour (c), although like your managerial role, I have little experience in what a director does

'How You Do Anything Is How You Do Everything'
T Harv Eker
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 Jul 12 18:00 - Edited By: Simon Saunders, 11 Jul 12 22:51
Ellis,

The two main train stations are Haymarket and Waverley. It was probably Haymarket that you were staying near. Loads of flats round there. I shall be staying in Edinburgh during the festival although it can be a bit much with all the tourists overunning the place. Good for the economy I spose. I've lived in Edinburgh for close on 15 years and I've never met anyone called Jimmy, which is amazing when you consider it's in Scotland. Sounds like the flat letter was a purveyor of suspicious substances. There's a lot of that sort of thing up here. Not that I would know anything about it.

Inchcock,

I'd never have the balls to get up on stage and attempt stand-up, sober or drunk! I once sang 'Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy' by Queen at a nightclub karaoke. I've never seen so many airborne bottles in my life.

Pinxit,

I think Big Ron now runs a tanning salon in West Bromwich. I heard on the grapevine that she also regularly attends car boot sales in and around the West Midlands to flog all his bling. Svengali you say? Not sure about that one! I'm not keen on tax dodging, I prefer not paying any at all. As for the weather up here, well, summer has been a complete washout. At the last count it had rained every day for the last month, not too cold though.

Radiogagger,

I haven't even seen the programme yet. I mainly saw free shows last year on account of being stoney broke. Seen some good stuff over the years. There's a pub where lots of the comedians congregate a couple of days before their shows start. They're mostly friendly so long as you don't act like a giggling little girl! As for accommodation, depends on the dates and you being able to provide two good references. Just joking about the references, you'll need ten of them! As for directing, well I believe you have to grow a beard so you have something to stroke when you're thinking. A short fuse is handy as well.

I've had an idea which I shall divulge once I've scoffed my dinner.

Simon

Currently discussing possible legal action with his lawyer after not winning the writing compo
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 12 Jul 12 01:19
Here is my idea. It may not be original.

Why doesn't the Spoof have it's own sketch show? It doesn't necessarily have to be performed at the Edinburgh festival.

Has it been done before?

With the amount of material on the site surely there is enough to create a sketch show.

It would require rather a substantial amount of time going through material to find stories that could be adapted into sketch form.

Obviously we would need people who are capable of doing the adaptations. Some of the original characters that appear in stories on here would suit the sketch format. With permission from individual writers of course.

Anyway, it is just an idea. It may be logistically difficult and would require loads of hard work.

Fellow writers opinions would be very welcome.

Perhaps I should start a thread in the writers discussion area so we can chew over the idea.

Simon

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum