This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Flaming

[This topic is LOCKED]

4 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 » »»
AuthorMessage
Lynton
This user is offline Writer
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 29 Jun 12 23:20 - Edited By: Lynton, 29 Jun 12 23:48
Here's a definition of flaming

Flaming, also known as bashing, is hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users, often involving the use of profanity. Flaming usually occurs in the social context of an Internet forum, Internet Relay Chat (IRC), Usenet, by e-mail, game servers such as Xbox Live or Playstation Network, and on video-sharing websites. It is frequently the result of the discussion of heated real-world issues such as politics, religion, and philosophy, or of issues that polarise subpopulations, but can also be provoked by seemingly trivial differences.

(Wikipedia)

Here's another

To send nasty or insulting messages via e-mail or to post them on a newsgroup or a blog. This is usually done in response to someone having broken the rules of netiquette. A "flamer" is someone who sends these message, sometimes resulting in a flame war.

Internet dic

and another

FLAME means "Insult someone over the internet"
(internet slang dictionary)

So QM, the word 'megalomaniac' you take it as rude and abusive even when deliberately put in inverted commas to show no accusations were being made(see thread in new 'vagina beer').

One is responsible for the impression one makes QM and if impressions are wrong then you can put them right.

Generally one would think that whatever offense against the rules would get a warning first and only if it continues should any action be taken. This is what Mark used to do.

The fact that you are quick to lock threads QM gives an impression and the offending adjective describes that impression that people have. It is clearly NOT a personal insult as you seem to think.

One need a thick skin and am icy calm to be a moderator. The sudden closure of threads gives a different impression that's all I wanted to point out.

Close this thread; ban me if you are allowed; but do give me a warning first. If you so choose it will give the right impression. After all we don't want people to come away with the impression that the spoof is now subject to a 'reign of terror' and the least disagreement will be punished.

Watching paint dry
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 02:36
Thank you for posting the definition of flaming. I meant to the other day, but got distracted by life and a sad turn of events with a friend's family.

I don't think people should be afraid to have discussions, disagreements, etc.

As moderators we have been asked to lock threads that we feel will get out of hand, or on the verge of getting out of hand. I realize that leaves a lot up to interpretation.

We can all agree that it takes very little to upset someone online. A discussion online can get out of hand quickly, as seen not too long ago with the whole acronym thing. However, that same discussion, if done in person would probably have gone differently and people would have just shrugged things off because we can't see all the non verbal cues that go hand in hand with a face to face discussion.

The key thing is to be civil and courteous which we can all do, and most do. However at times, people forget. It happens.

When people start throwing insults, and I'm around and notice you would get a warning because I think that's fair.

However, if something has already escalated, profanity and insults are flying all over the place, and things are very heated...and discussions have turned from the debate meant to be having and you're only pissing each other off with the sole purpose of pissing each other off...then I don't think a warning is needed.

It's much like a fight at school....when fists are flying, it's past time for warnings and it's time to go see the principal. And, I think that's fair and reasonable, too.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 03:44
My take:

As long as we have a free access site, and a competitive element (for some) we'll always have flaming. Spats are inevitable; they've always happened, and they probably always will.

In itself, that's not such a bad thing - it clears the air and lets people know where they stand.

What's important for me, is that moderators, admin, take into account the people involved. Some people thrive on arguments, real or imagined, and aren't offended by insults. Others are more sensitive. Not that many people use the forum, so it shouldn't be too difficult to recognise a tongue in cheek flare up.

We spoof - we wind each other up from time to time. To the best of my knowledge, no blood has actually been spilt. Virtual or real.

We've had some humdingers in the past - if you read them back, with hindsight, they're usually a bit silly. People bash away at keyboards and get a bit carried away with themselves.

It's all quite comical really, and totally in context with the site.

Sometimes though, it does go too far. I haven't personally seen any evidence of that lately - unless you count people who have been banned and their associates, but that's another story.

What Mark tended to do if he thought things were getting out of hand, would be to intrude on the offending thread and ask people to take it offline.

If it continued, he'd lock a thread as a last resort, but only after giving all concerned every opportunity to leave it alone.

Personally I was always happy with that approach.

What I really think should not happen, under any circumstances, is that people should feel afraid to post their feelings about a subject or topic they feel strongly about for fear of censure.

If we get into that scenario, we may as well scrap the forum. It loses its raison d'etre.

If I was a moderator and I thought something really bad was going down, I'd put my big curly wig on, dive into the fray, and tell everybody to "CALM DOWN!" in a scouse accent.

Or something.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
radiogagger
radiogagger

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 04:03
is this the right thread to purchase a flamingo?
just asking, like.

'How You Do Anything Is How You Do Everything'
T Harv Eker
Monkey Woods
This user is offline Dirty Ape
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Jun 12 05:51

Quote: Lynton

The fact that you are quick to lock threads QM ...

It did get locked a bit sharpish, QM, and it would be interesting to hear why you thought 'megaloamaniac' constituted flaming.

To have ambitions, was my ambition
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Jun 12 09:13
On balance, I think it was fair enough.

I feel it's important for me to make another post to explain why I've instated moderators. My reason for instating moderators, first and foremost, was to ensure that spammers are kept off the forum. There was a spat of spam posts appearing and I wasn't able to deal with them in a timely fashion and it annoyed me.

However, since I've instated moderators, it appears to me that some feel their presence will impact on the 'freeness' of the forum - that is absolutely not the intention of having moderators. I have been intending to appoint moderators for years now as there have been several instances where having a moderator would have helped in the past, so I feel a lot better knowing that Ellie and QM are able to be an extra pair of eyes in the forum to help ensure the forums remain quality and safe.

On the subject of keeping the forums safe, the list of rules I've created is there to ensure that moderators have something to refer to, to make sure that they keep on top of inappropriate behaviour, and also to give them something to support them in their actions. It's also there to ensure that new forums members are made aware of what is and what isn't acceptable. Up until now, that's all been in my head and it's been up to me to make the decision, so there wasn't a great requirement to have a list of rules posted.

It's common practice on forums to have rules and they're a good thing to make sure everyone knows where the boundaries lie. In order to ensure everyone abides by the rules, there has to be someone in authority to do so. Previously, that was just me, now it's me, QM and Ellie. Someone mentioned we should have a moderator to moderate the moderators, that's my responsibility. I will continue, as I have always done, to act fairly, impartially and honestly in addressing any complaints.

Making a post to deride or undermine the job of the moderators is unacceptable behaviour, neither are posts made to bait or provoke - mods or otherwise. Ellie and QM have very kindly volunteered their assistance and their contribution is much needed and important as far as I'm concerned.

QM may have been a little quick to lock CJ's thread on the Syrian Olympics team discussion, but it did have the hallmarks of escalating into something more than a friendly debate, and this is the guidance I have given to QM and Ellie, so QM was only sticking to what I said.

QM's decision to lock the thread on the 'vagina beer' story was dead right in my opinion, Lynton's post was off topic and inflammatory - if you've got a problem with a moderator's decision or want to make comments on a topic after a thread has been locked, you should message the moderator directly, or message me.

On the subject of the beer story, I agree that it wasn't top-notch, but I thought it was passable. It reminded me of the "Pussy, pussy, pussy" scene from From Dusk Till Dawn. Not to everyone's taste, but that's comedy.

Spoofing all over the world
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Jun 12 10:12
The Moderators bring stability to this forum. Something that has been missing for a long time. The fights, insults and arguments have got out of hand and where the forum used to be a fun happy place, has descended into a free for all of derision and people bashing. I can not imagine how new writers feel when they view some of the detritus written on these boards. Mark has made progress by installing Q.M. and Ellie as Moderators, if you do not have an agenda, they deserve to be recognised for thier roles and given our support, for what can be, a difficult job. Thank you, Mark, for shining a bright light on what was becoming a dark corner of cyber space.

Arm

You aint seen me.....right
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 11:05
So I'll PM you later Mark

Watching paint dry
queen mudder
This user is offline Spoof Queen
queen mudder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 11:24
Thanks for the support Mark, Ellie and all those who have posted. It is much appreciated.

I deleted CJ's final post before locking the 'Syrian story' thread because he made a series of wholly inappropriate, inflammatory remarks that ended up directing the discussion to another website's top story of the day.

There was no discernible link between the Syrian Spoof and the SatireWorld story whose author was once a spoofer here.

Any connection between the Syrian Spoof author and J-Man was purely imaginary and mischievous.

Subsequent cheerleading for CJ's invective struck me as flaming and I acted accordingly.

qm

Gravity is a myth, the earth sux?
Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 11:36

Dear Arm,

Under normal conditions I would like to propose a diametrically opposite point of view to absolutely every thought and every word you say in that statement..

But alas, we shall have to forgo our debate. On the grounds that it might eventually turn out to be creative. And just in case it's misconstrued en route, as yet another violent flame war between two people who don't see eye to eye.

However, here's the good news. I'm prepared to offer you an interesting discussion on Soft Toys. As a one-off concession.

Provided you promise not to get too passionate or argumentative on that old Forum bone of contention, Stuffed Teddy Bears.... and so long as you confine our little chat to the PM system..

regards

Colonel Juan
Deputy Head Kennel Maid
Traffic Warden's Office
Battersea Dog's Home

RIP
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Jun 12 11:38
My pleasure Q.M. You and Ellie should be treated with the respect you deserve, it is not an easy job, especially one that you have volunteered to do. Life on this forum is becoming a much nicer place to be. Good luck to you both.

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxx

Ellis Ian Fields
Ellis Ian Fields

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 11:52
"Life on this forum is becoming a much nicer place to be."

Come off it Arm, it's been dead for days! Save for a few excruciating acronyms.

No-one speaks English and everything's broken.
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 12:08
I can see both sides of the argument on this one. Some of the arguments in recent months appeared to get out of hand but I can't help feeling that locking threads and banning people is a little bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

As far as rules go, I've never been a fan of them. I appreciate we have to have some rules regarding spamming and other technical stuff I don't understand.

Do we need rules on how we talk to each other?

I would've hoped that we would speak to others in the same way we would expect to be spoken to.

Simon

Currently discussing possible legal action with his lawyer after not winning the writing compo
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Jun 12 12:58
Dear C.J.

Do you have a debate on cross stitch? I did the soft toy one a couple of weeks ago, lost of course, what do I know about Paddington Bear? Nothing, thats what. If not, I can afford the half hour niggle about West Sussex drainage.

Arm xxxxxxxxxxx

armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Jun 12 13:00

Quote: Ellis Ian Fields

"Life on this forum is becoming a much nicer place to be."

Come off it Arm, it's been dead for days! Save for a few excruciating acronyms.

Its our place, lets liven it up a bit then!

Arm xxxxxx

radiogagger
radiogagger

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 14:16
does anyone know where i can get a flamingo?

'How You Do Anything Is How You Do Everything'
T Harv Eker
Ellis Ian Fields
Ellis Ian Fields

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 14:18
Nope - I've only got this albatross.

And, no, you don't get fuckin' wafers with it!

No-one speaks English and everything's broken.
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 14:48
see Clivey D he'll get anything to flaming go.

Watching paint dry
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 15:47
Please try to stay on topic.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 16:45

Quote: radiogagger

does anyone know where i can get a flamingo?

There are lots of flamingos at the Ft Worth Zoo. It's minutes from my house. But, you can't take them home with you.

I could, however, paint you one if you really are in need of one.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 16:52
You would think so. But we live in a world where it's common for 5 year olds to tell each other to fuck off these days. I teach elementary school....I have to deal with teaching kids how to speak nicely all the time.

Every online community has moderators it seems, even a cancer wellness website full of vegans.

People sometimes tend to react then think. Most confrontations would be lessoned if people would take a deep breath, log off, and respond a few hours or a day later. But that rarely happens.

I disagree with arguments clearing the air. Resentment still lingers.

Ellie

Quote: Simon Saunders

I can see both sides of the argument on this one. Some of the arguments in recent months appeared to get out of hand but I can't help feeling that locking threads and banning people is a little bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

As far as rules go, I've never been a fan of them. I appreciate we have to have some rules regarding spamming and other technical stuff I don't understand.

Do we need rules on how we talk to each other?

I would've hoped that we would speak to others in the same way we would expect to be spoken to.

Simon

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 17:03
Yeah, but if it was all peace and love and sticking daisies down rifle barrels it'd be as boring as arseholes.

Just sayin'

Skoob.

RIP
queen mudder
This user is offline Spoof Queen
queen mudder

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 17:23

Quote: Skoob1999

Yeah, but if it was all peace and love and sticking daisies down rifle barrels it'd be as boring as arseholes.

Just sayin'

Skoob.

Only to those who need the adrenalin rush of conflict.

Gravity is a myth, the earth sux?
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Jun 12 17:27

Quote: Skoob1999

Just sayin'

Skoob.

Perhaps skydiving would help? Or bungee jumping? Or watching bad soap operas? Or....the new Dallas show on TV? RG reminded me the other day it had started.

Ellie

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Jun 12 17:36
Nobody ever solved anything by agreeing with everything.

I don't get off on conflict, but healthy debate can only ever be a positive force. In my opinion, a good old fashioned tear up can be healthy* - it really does clear the air and let people know where they stand.

What next? A Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack?

Regards

Skoob.

*NOTE - I said can be, not is.

RIP

4 Pages - [1] 2 3 4 » »»
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum