This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Twitterhelp

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Monkey Woods
This user is offline Dirty Ape
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 18 Jun 12 04:10 - Edited By: Monkey Woods, 18 Jun 12 04:13
i'm not very au fait with all this twittering, so I'd appreciate some help.

I keep getting messages through at my gmail account saying that so-and-so is following me on Twitter. I do remember, a long time ago, registering for it, but have never done anything with it, I don't think. When I see "Skoob1999 is following you on Twitter", or whatever, I think "Ah, he must have written a story and somehow, because we are both on The Spoof, I have been sent a notification of this". Or whatever.

But what does "The New York Times and ESPN have tweets for you" mean?

Why have these two media giants contacted little old me? Could it be that they want to offer me paid employment after seeing my sterling work on The Spoof? Could it be that my reputation has spread so far and wide that organisations like these will soon be battering my door down to secure my signature to write more of the bullshit that only I am able to come down with?

Could it be that they, too, think I am actually Tiger's brother?

Seriously, why?

Anyone?

To have ambitions, was my ambition
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 18 Jun 12 10:58
When Twitter does that it means (I think) they think you'd be interested in those tweets or following those people. I am sure there is a way to opt out from getting those messages.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
IainB
This user is offline Gentle with me
IainB

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 18 Jun 12 13:27
It's Twitter's way of competing with Pintrest.

Pintrest started sending out emails saying "Hey, while you were having a life/taking a crap/contemplating suicide* you didn't see that the person you are following pinned a message that they were now eating only lettuce and added a video to prove it".

Twitter thought "That's a good idea, we'll do that" as Twitter is on Pinterest.

So now they send out emails about all the crap you didn't read because it was crap. Fortunately, you can opt out. Unfortunately, the opt out form is in a locked filing cabinet at the end of a dark, trap laden corridor, behind a door marked "Toxic waste, beware of the beaver.".

Hope that helps.

Iain

*Delete as appropriate, or use all of them.

If 42 is the answer, the question is if 24 looks in the mirror, who does she see?
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 18 Jun 12 14:54
Yes....I knew Iain would better be able to explain things as I had completely forgotten the Pinterest connection.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Monkey Woods
This user is offline Dirty Ape
Monkey Woods

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 19 Jun 12 01:08
Is there a way I can just delete my Twitter account? There must be.

My gmail inbox is a mess with all that crap!

To have ambitions, was my ambition
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 19 Jun 12 01:16
I am sure you can....just go to your settings.

Ellie

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum