This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Dave Jones

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
IainB
This user is offline Gentle with me
IainB

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 29 Feb 12 20:03
Got to bring this one up. Davey Jones (of the Monkees) has died aged 66 of a heart-attack.

I bring it up because he's one of my tenuous celebrity connections. He went out with my best and longest friend's mum for years, before he went off to America and she married a welder.

I'll let you know how I'm connected to Willie Thorne and the Desk Sergeant from Juliet Bravo when they die.

Iain

If 42 is the answer, the question is if 24 looks in the mirror, who does she see?
armfeetandtoe
This user is offline Writer
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 29 Feb 12 20:53
What a shame, I liked Davey, a nice bloke.
Sorry to hear about his demise.

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
radiogagger
radiogagger

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 29 Feb 12 21:08
Sad news about Davey Jones.

I hope Willie Thorne never dies. I've read his autobiography. Never forget that blue he missed in the UK final v Davis.

'How You Do Anything Is How You Do Everything'
T Harv Eker
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 29 Feb 12 21:19
He took the last train from Clarksville at 66- still young for these days. Liked the music at the time but hated the US trying to copy the Beatles.

Watching paint dry
Jean Le Fete
This user is offline Deanalope
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 29 Feb 12 21:54
He was a favorite of mine. As to the show and comparison to the Beatles, the Beatles had no problems with them, you know what a stable of writers it took for them to even remotely challenge the Beatles Lynton? Carole King, James Taylor, Neil Diamond, were one's people recognize, then Boyce and Hart, who didn't gain the fame as singers, but were talented song writers. The Monkees themselves were talented actors and performers, Dolenz still has a great voice for rock. They even wrote a few decent songs themselves. But i'm very sad about Davy, they had just done a reunion cut short by legal problems, and its a shame they won't have a chance for another tour now. C'mon Stones! Get it done while you can!!!!

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Simon Saunders
Simon Saunders

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 29 Feb 12 23:00
Sad to hear about Davy Jones. 66 is no age these days.

Glad to hear about Willie Thorne though. I was born and raised in Leicester (don't hold it against me), used to go to his snooker club before he had to get rid of it due to his gambling habit.
Lovely bloke though. His shiny head and bushy tache always make me smile.
I treasure the signed photo of him I have. In the photo he is lying on a snooker table fondling his shiny balls and stroking his cue. No kidding.

Simon

Currently discussing possible legal action with his lawyer after not winning the writing compo
Rebel Not Taken
Rebel Not Taken

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 29 Feb 12 23:14
When i heard the newsreader say that Davy Jones had died i thought it was a joke. Then i saw her face................

Don't clap, just throw money.
Thelonius

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 00:35

DONT YEW TAWK ABART OWR BELOVID ANGLE DAVIE JONES LYKE WOT YEW JUST DUN TAWKED!

HEE WOZ TWO GUD FOUR THIS WERLD AND IS NAH SLEAPING IN THE ARMES OF JEEZUS WIV JADE GOODLIE AND THAT!

GAWD LUV AND PREESERVE OWR BOOTIFUL ANGLE DAVIE JONES!!!

I'm sorry that he's dead, but don't understand why he is respected here at "The Spoof" and a talent like Whitney Houston wasn't.

Chris McM

Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 01:38 - Edited By: Ellie James, 1 Mar 12 01:51
I loved Davey Jones....he was my favorite Monkey!

That's sad! When my mom's best friend turned 50, we serenaded her with Daydream Believer.

Ellie

edit: Chris M - Whitney Houston was a talented singer. I loved her music. I'm a child of the 80s. Her death, to me, was just as sad.

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Jean Le Fete
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 01:49
I love Day Dream Believer, I also like some of their less known stuff like The Porpoise Song, which Micky Dolenz sang, but Davy was the the one the girls screamed for at their 60s concerts. They had Jimi Hendrix opening for them for a couple of shows (believe it or not, just before he hit it big) The crowd was clearly there for the Monkees. Hendrix would finish Purple Haze and the crow would go, "We want Davy, We want Davy." He quit after the second show...

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Thelonius

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 01:54

HEE WOZ TWO GUD FOUR THIS WERLD AND IS NAH SLEAPING IN THE ARMES OF JEEZUS WIV JADE GOODLIE AND THAT!

I'm sorry that he's dead, but don't understand why he is respected here at "The Spoof" and a talent like Whitney Houston wasn't.

Chris McM

Jean Le Fete
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 02:47
I actually wrote a story about Whitney, but it was rejected for publication, because it wasn't really a spoof, but basically slammed the music industry for ignoring the problems of an amazing talent. I ended up deleting the story. All her friends were in denial about her it was sick. "Oh Whitney was doing so good, she was off all of the drugs." Yes well alcohol often is the replacement. The kind of prescription drugs she was taking, probably not monitored all that well either, people were looking the other way. It was too bad. I wasn't a huge fan of her career, but I admired her talent an what she could have been.

Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 05:54
Can I also express my sadness at the passing of Davy Jones. He was a great favourite of mine during those halcyon carefree days of the 60s and afforded us a welcome respite from the somewhat in your face, highly sexualised music of his contemporaries such as The Rolling Stones, The Who and The Animals.

Rest in peace Davy x

Beyonce Scroggins
Max Bygraves Trading Estate
Grimsby

Is this the right forum for a forum?
Clive Danton
Clive Danton

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 06:05
SHUTUUUUUUUUUUUUP! OW CAN YEW TAWK AT A TYME LYKE WOT THIS IS WEN ANNUVER PRESHUS ANGLE AS BEEN CROOLY TAKIN FRUM THIS ERF TO LYVE AT GAWD'S RITE 'AND WIV OWR UVVER BOOTYFUL ANGLES FRANC CALTON, WITKNEE HUSEMAN AND JAYNE GOODLEE?

PEEPLE WILL RIMEMBER WHERE THEY WOZ WEN 'E DYED JUS LYKE WEN PREZIDENT KENNYDEE GOT SHOT IN 'IS 'EAD BYE LES HARDY OSMOND ON THE GRARSY NOLE!

EE WOZ TWO BOOTYFUL FOUR THIS WELD AND AD THE FAYCE OF AN ANGLE, NOT LYKE THEM UVVER MUNKEES OO WOZ RITE UGLEE FUCKAZ!

EYE'M GOIN TWO AMERRYKA FOUR IS FOONREL AND WILL FROW ARF A DOZIN OV ME KIDZ UNDER THE WEELS OF IS CARRIGE AS A MARC OV RESPEK FOR IM AND IS LUVLEE MOOZIC AND THAT!

GAWD SAYVE AND PROTEK OWRD BLESSID ANGLE DAISY JOAN!

FRAAAAAAANK, WITLEEEEEEEE!, JAAAAAAAAAAYNE!, DANNEEEEEEE!

Hermione Crest
Dowager Duchess Of Lancaster
Lancaster

Is this the right forum for a forum?
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 09:52 - Edited By: Lynton, 1 Mar 12 09:59
rebel

When my wife told me yesterday I didn't believe her

Until I saw her face???????

Sorry?

Must have been on every mobile phone yesterday

Watching paint dry
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 09:58

Personally apart from the Monkees I've no idea what the poor chap did from 1969 'til now. He could have made a decent jockey though.

Quote: Chris McManus

Chris McM

Watching paint dry
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 10:08 - Edited By: Lynton, 1 Mar 12 10:10
Ah! research research! Apparently he lived in a place called 'Beaver Town'PA (That's wikipedia - not me). I wonder whether that's a spoof? He acted apparently, did reunion tours and made a packet from race horses in the UK and USA. His tan was probably real then, but his hair was always shite.

Not bad for a little bloke.

He even looked in better shape than Inchy but still popped his clogs. See Inch, somebody is looking down at you from on high. (And wondering that if he took you to his bosom would he end up catching something nasty - so you are reprieved for the mo)

Watching paint dry
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 1 Mar 12 14:18
Phew, Thanks Lynton!

Inchy

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 1 Mar 12 20:41
Well, what makes you say he's respected 'here at "The Spoof"'? There's lots of us don't particularly respect him. He did what he did, that's all.

However, good point, to generalise.

Whitney was perceived as fair game and a points scorer perhaps, because she was more talented/succesful/had farther to fall/made more of a story.

There's more to exploit in Whitney. With Davy J, it would just seem pathetic and unjust.

Maybe.

Quote: Chris McManus

Chris McM

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Thelonius

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 2 Mar 12 00:36 - Edited By: Chris McManus, 2 Mar 12 00:37
Maybe

Chris McM

Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 2 Mar 12 23:05
I'd have had a dance with Whitney.

Shame I have three left feet.

She'd have put me to shame.

That's why it never happened. God love her, she tried...

Regards

Skoob.

RIP

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum