This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Bugger Bugger Bugger!!!!!!!!

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Lynton
This user is offline Writer
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 3 Feb 12 09:48
Our heating packed up early this week so I got out the wood and lit a fire - nice and cosy. AND the plummer came and we only had to wait8h for the part needed after he had put in a replacement part it didn't need.

Our hot water is on a separate system with an immersion heater. It worked last night when I filled me hot water bottle. This morning not a drop!!!! Not even cold water coming fron the hot tank!

This does not bode well. It froze overnight and no plummer is available and I fear that the cold water that displaces the hot and thus makes it come out of the tap has frozen. The pipe run is on an outer wall and I'm not sure it is lagged well enough if at all.

Still got cold water in the cold tap so perhaps all is not that bad if it comes from the same pipework - but this is ME we're talking about so it probably is. Bugger!!!!

It is an interminable wait for a telephone call from the plummer, it is Friday, Bugger!!! And I really have to be somewhere else today.Bugger!!!! It's the weekend tomorrow which means double time Bugger!!!!!!!

Watching paint dry
Chris James
This user is offline Deleted
Chris James

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 3 Feb 12 11:10
If you do go out turn your water off at the main stop tap..... unless you wish to have new everything... but its not worth the hassle... got the tshirt.

my bugger bugger bugger is i had successfully got my points down to less than 500 for thursday... woke up checked them

5800 and odd already today... another 2 mag articles have gone stupid...

so much for my masterplan. oh well. im sure some would like a bit of that. not my scene though. thatll teach me for messing about a bit. bugger it.

-=Rumours of my death are completely accurate=-
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 3 Feb 12 11:18 - Edited By: Lynton, 3 Feb 12 11:18
Looks like you'll have to take a few down otherwise your attempt at going straight will fail miserably.

Plumber arrived and is currently thawing out a pipe which does no seem to have expanded and split. So out with the lagging (we moved in 2 months ago) that the previous owner didn't see fit to install. Fill in hole in wall that lets in the cold air and until I get the lagging some old covers will do and I might leave a bulb lit near it at night.

Watching paint dry
Chris James
This user is offline Deleted
Chris James

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 3 Feb 12 11:40
The lightbulb will just drag the cold air towards the pipe so I wouldnt.

hot water freeezes faster than cold.

whether pipe hot or cold lightbulb not good.

i have seen icicles 3ft from temperatures in excess of 1500 degrees centigrade....
in winter ... in uk... somewhere. true that.. n they were bloody big icicles too. in a normal winter.

-=Rumours of my death are completely accurate=-
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 3 Feb 12 16:52
Buy a couple of hot water bottles. Place them in the header tank and the overerlow tank. This should do the trick.

Also, invest in a low voltage insulation for your loft plumbing, and lag the tank!

Wish I was there mate, not only could I help you, but also laugh at you standing in your bed socks and nightvgown.

Love as Always

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Katarina Frogpond2
Katarina Frogpond2

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 3 Feb 12 18:24
Why does the heating always break in winter when we need it, and not in summer when we don't. Its annoying.

Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 3 Feb 12 18:31

Absolutely Froggy.. poor Mr Lynton eh..

One way or another it's all a bit of a bugger, I'd say..

RIP
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 3 Feb 12 18:33
They always say here to leave your water dripping during extreme cold so that the pipes don't freeze.

That's awful though....I'm glad I only have to deal with that once a year, if that.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 3 Feb 12 19:11
Lynton, my condolences, but Paris, a plumber at the weekend, sorry mate, never! Jump in your Citroen and come to Venlo, Holland, we'll put you up!

JO

Monkey nutter...
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 3 Feb 12 21:36
Thanks everybody I hope allis OK now - I bought the lagging this afternoon. Arm, stop giving away my secrets - well at least you didn't mention my nightcap.

Now, Ellie, talking of secrets, that bit about leaving it dripping to stop it seizing up, if it really works does that mean that I have to buy a pair of incontinence pants? No chance of finding a pair at the week-end in Normandy. Not sure what the Normans do with them but there are a lot of plastic looking covers on some of the Market Gardens to protect them from the frost.

Watching paint dry
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 3 Feb 12 21:41
Katie - I think Jack Frost must be Murphy and Sod's brother. I'll have to make a sacrifice to the great God(d?*)ess Annoya; Omniscient matron saint of heating systems, odd socks and sticking drawers.

* One 'd' struck me as not looking right but I suppose it is

Quote: Katarina Frogpond2

Why does the heating always break in winter when we need it, and not in summer when we don't. Its annoying.

Watching paint dry
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 3 Feb 12 23:13
Sorry Lynton.

I have not told them about the French fancy or the tutu.
Your secret if safe with me...............Does anyone read this?..............Oh.......Erm.....How do I erase?

I would like to state, that Mr Lynton does not wear a Tutu or a French fancy.....There, that should do it.

Love as always

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 4 Feb 12 01:28
AND I've thought of a new use for pipe lagging and jolly cosy it is too

Watching paint dry
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 4 Feb 12 06:50 - Edited By: Inchcock, 4 Feb 12 06:51
Lynton, The mind boggles (not that that is anything out of the ordinary for me), at what your chosen uses might be.

Glad things okay now.

Inch

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 4 Feb 12 16:49
Spoke too soon. No idea what the plumber might have done to it but there's water now dripping from a sort of valve thing under the hot water tank!

Quadruple Bugger!!!!!!

Watching paint dry
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 4 Feb 12 19:36
Europe assistance plumber arrived at 19.45pm. Talk about gormless, nobody could have less gorm than he.

Anyhow the pipe thing is an overflow which goes to the outside whee it empties on to the lawn. He said all sorts of things and buggered off without doing anything. So I figured it must be about the same prob as the other day and I got out the hair drierto heat it up and sho nuff the overflow pipe emptied. Stuck some lagging aound the pipes and now hoping fo the best.

Next I have to solve the issue of electic shocks below the sink!!! Eathing issue I think.

Watching paint dry
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 5 Feb 12 04:43
Blimey Lynton, I hope things settle down for you soon.

Take care

Inch

Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 5 Feb 12 10:39
Thanks Inchy - no leaks yet today and radiators are still warm. All in all it hasn't been a good 18 months for plumbing, both household and personal.

There are however some pleasant things going on.

15cms of snow this morning so I put out some food for the birds. This rewarded me with a flock of Chaffinches and Greenfinches, lots of tits and particularly a couple of Long-Tailed Tis who come and knock on the windows for some reason. The prize ornithological display though was two pairs of Bullfinches. These have become less common in Britain but around here there are lots of orchards where they go in spring to guzzle the flower buds. Another pleasant surprise was a Goldcrest in the Fir tree.

Probably go for a walk this afternoon

Watching paint dry
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 5 Feb 12 11:07
Glad to hear the better news Lynton.

We've about 4" of snow this morning.

Been out to feed the pigeons, that's all we get here. Been over to see Stewart a while ago. His house is lovely and warm, but he was watching Heartbeat on the box, so I asked him if he wanted any shopping or cooking doing, but he said no.

Back now, fed the pigeons again.

The back door is frozen shut.

Got a couple of new welts come underneath the finger nails, but at the same time, some others have disappeared!

Take care Sir, I hope things continue to improve on both waterworks departments for you.

Halfinchinthisweather.

Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 5 Feb 12 13:17
I only know the rue St Denis in Paris?????????

Monkey nutter...
Exislanda
Exislanda

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 6 Feb 12 01:41
Was that Double Cheese Bugger?

My plumber would gladly come - just pay his fare.

Yo Ho Ho!
churchmouse
churchmouse

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 6 Feb 12 08:25

Lynton,

The thing under your hot water tank is a 'group de securitie'.

As French heating tanks are mains fed sealed units, every time your water heats up there will be up to 3% expansion of the water inside it. The group de securite opens to allow the excess to escape rather than splitting the tank. This is quite normal and the excess will expel to a drain pipe.

There is a way to prevent this leakage happening by fitting a 'vase de expansion sanitaire' between the groupe de securite and the hot water tank inlet.

Your plumber will know what it it, and it's a fairly simple job to do.

Still a foot of snow here in the Charante.

And as the baby rabbit of hope emerges into the soft sunlight of happiness to be confronted with the double barrels of reality
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 6 Feb 12 11:20
Thanks for the advice mate. I thought it must be something idiosyncratic to the frogs never having seen quite anything like it in Britain.

Seems to work ok dripping into the pipe and hence to the lawn but when I get some dough I'll think about that. A question though is that the water is unnecessarily hot in our 'ballon de chauffage' don't they ever fit thermostats one can adjust? As it is it seems to be set at about 85 which is just downright dangerous. In our last place 50-60 was just about right. I can see you'll have to come and stay and give me some advice how to keep the bills down.

The French it seems to me, although pioneers with drains have been less so with electricity gas and water. In some of the old places the set up is just scary.

Quote: churchmouse

Lynton,

The thing under your hot water tank is a 'group de securitie'.

As French heating tanks are mains fed sealed units, every time your water heats up there will be up to 3% expansion of the water inside it. The group de securite opens to allow the excess to escape rather than splitting the tank. This is quite normal and the excess will expel to a drain pipe.

There is a way to prevent this leakage happening by fitting a 'vase de expansion sanitaire' between the groupe de securite and the hot water tank inlet.

Your plumber will know what it it, and it's a fairly simple job to do.

Still a foot of snow here in the Charante.

Watching paint dry
churchmouse
churchmouse

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 6 Feb 12 11:49

There will be a thermostat on the tank to regulate the temperature.

Assuming that it's a common make, there should be a plastic cover on the bottom of it, normally held on by 3 screws. - remove the cover, and you should see a round plastic fitting about 2" in diameter. (This is the arse-end of the thermostat. In the middle of it there will be a small flimsy looking plastic slotted screw - this is the stat setting screw.

When the chaffe-eaus are delivered they tend to be at max setting and a lot of the time the installer doesn't bother to adjust them. Turn the plastic screw slightly ( say 30 degrees) and your water should run at a cooler setting in a few hours

If the bottom of it doesn't look like the above, take a photo of it and send it to me as a jpeg to an email and I'll tell you how to adjust it.

Cheers.

And as the baby rabbit of hope emerges into the soft sunlight of happiness to be confronted with the double barrels of reality
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 7 Feb 12 23:55
For gods sake! Trust you two to turn this quite ordinary thread about plumbing, into pages of inuendo. I for one, am flabberghasted! My flabber, has never been so Ghasted!

I like a bit of ohms around the gones.

Love you two, as always

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum