This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Sherlock - The Reichenbach Fall

[This topic is LOCKED]

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
AuthorMessage
Chris James
This user is offline Deleted
Chris James

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 15 Jan 12 23:03
Well...

That was awesome. I look at quality like that as something to aim for, rather than giving up and putting my quill, ink and parchment away.

What do you think?

Surely you must have turned your PC off for an hour and a half and let it cool down for a change and watched it?... or perhaps not.

I certainly did. ))

-=Rumours of my death are completely accurate=-
Ellis Ian Fields
This user is offline Writer
Ellis Ian Fields

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 15 Jan 12 23:09
Never give up... never surrender!

No-one speaks English and everything's broken.
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 15 Jan 12 23:10
It was very fine, but not sure about showing SH at the end (Doyle didn't do that).

Episode 1 and 3 were terrific, but last week's not so great.

I believe there will be a 3rd series, bringing him back a la Doyle.

In the original, SH survives the fall because he never actually fell down the Reichenbach Falls; interesting to see how they manage this one.

Great entertainment and also very clever and heartfelt references to the original. Hounds not too brilliant (the original story isn't, despite great atmospheric use of Dartmoor).

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
IainB
This user is offline Gentle with me
IainB

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 16 Jan 12 08:21
All the clues were in the show as to how he survived the fall.

Any further info would be spoiling it for those that don't work it out. For those that do work it out, then they can have the self-satisfied glow of smug satisfaction. Or the embarrassed glow of getting it wrong AND the surprise of seeing how...

Iain

P.S. I might be wrong. In which case I fall into the last category.

P.P.S. The last time I was wrong, I was 10 and I vowed never to be wrong again.

If 42 is the answer, the question is if 24 looks in the mirror, who does she see?
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 16 Jan 12 11:23
Fell asleep. Sky plussed it so will watch later.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Jan 12 15:59
I just saw the first episode last night on Netflix. It's very good!!

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Chris James
This user is offline Deleted
Chris James

Forum Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 16 Jan 12 22:55
Be sure to catch up on them Ellie. You are in for a treat. Not sure if you mean the first of the first series or the second. There are 6 in total so hope you watched number one of six. if not that's the way to go about it me thinks.

I have my own theories what happened. It involves the pushbike accident as a means of disorientation and the girl in the lab. can't say more coz it will spoil t' episode for those who haven't seen it

so.. as well as hoping Sherlock is still alive, I really hope that Moriarty does too as that would be a waste... but pretty hard to write around.

one last thing..... the gas from the previous week may well play a part... if you get my drift.

-=Rumours of my death are completely accurate=-
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Jan 12 23:02
Yes there are lots of 'clues', and we saw him jump but not hit the ground, and you can refer to the original stories for more ideas (Holmes pretended to be dead, after Moriarty died, with only Mycroft aware, for a couple of years in order to work against others who were trying to destroy him).

Still tough to make it convincing though and they'll have to come up with bigger enemies now.

One problem with these modern versions is they have SH as a kind of James Bond and make more of Moriarty than he ever really was (he was mainly a device to kill SH off so Doyle could be rid of him and do more serious writing).

But the main thing is the show is great entertainment with touches of genius, like the originals, but souped-up for the modern culture where people need to be hit between the eyes.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jan 12 12:35
Yes EQ - I am watching the very first of the series. Watched number 2 last night. I read the book over the summer which I had never read before but always wanted to. A friend in California recommended it a week ago. I am so bored with American TV (regular cable) so it's quite a treat. Thank goodness for the internet.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 17 Jan 12 17:43
Excellent stuff. I read all the books years ago.

Interesting debate in the press from Holmes purists, who think Cumberbatch and Johnny Depp in the movie version aren't really faithful representations of Conan Doyle's original character. Doesn't really matter to me because they're all hugely entertaining.

My own favourites were Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, probably because they were the first ones I ever saw. Having said that, Jeremy Brett was probably the most like the books.

Sherlock eh? You can't keep a good man down. Wonder what Shylock Humes would have made of him?

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 17 Jan 12 18:12

My favourite Holmes was Jeremy Brett. Old Etonian, bisexual and an heir to Cadbury's. The oddities of his real life found a home in the character of Sherlock. I loved his quirkiness and his mannerisms. Also see his super Freddy in Cukor's My Fair Lady.

I'm torn on Watson. Ted Hardwicke was a great foil to Brett. As well as being a serious stage actor with a string of credits.

But I think I'll go with Skoob's Nigel Bruce. More of a bumbler and always slightly angled towards the comedic.. yet somehow serious and reliable. Anyone remember him in Hitchcock's Rebecca?

RIP
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jan 12 18:28
Johnny Depp??? As Sherlock? That's a new one. I did enjoy Robert Downy Jr though although I haven't seen the latest film since I have no life outside running errands and being a mom. Or so it seems.

Ellie

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 17 Jan 12 18:32
Sorry, Robert Downey Jr - sloppy research there. Didn't research it all in fact. Probably got it mixed up with that Jack The Ripper thing that he did. I watched that yesterday.

Sherlock was better. Than the Jack The Ripper thing, I mean.

Oh, I dunno, I'm all confused again.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 17 Jan 12 20:45
SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP!......I wrote Shylock Humes!, not that other bloke, what was his name?......Cannon Ball?....Have you not read the excellent works by me?.........NO!....HAHAHAHAHAHA!....You will!......Or you get the late night singing at your bedroom window!.......Read it.....Or the cat gets it!!!....I SHALL RETURN.....DO HEAR?......

You aint seen me.....right
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jan 12 22:00 - Edited By: Erskin Quint, 17 Jan 12 22:01
What if I start calling him Shylock or even Shylocke Hulmes, arm? Shall I? I'm quite happy to. A certain author known to us all (not me) has written a novel about a character called Erskine Quint. Spot the difference.

Re the real thing, I'm with the Colonel, you can't beat Brett for video versions, or the whole Granada series, for what they did. Brett had the eccentricity as well as the brilliance.

Also, the radio 4 dramatisations with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams (they did all the stories) are for me probably actually the very best versions I have come across.

I don't like Rathbone - though he looked the part - because you couldn't imagine him taking cocaine or lying in bed for days: he was too sane. Holmes should be a good man, a hero who puts stuff right, but he's not normal.

The new series actually got it about right I felt, though it is a bit flashy, but that's good because there is this tweedy buffer image with the deerstalker that needs to be trashed.

I quite enjoyed the first Downey Jr/Jude Law movie, but they seem to be trying to make it into a Victorian-Edwardian James Bond.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 17 Jan 12 22:16
That's basically what the debate was about. Holmes as action hero. Seemed to split those in the debate down the middle.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jan 12 22:28
Yeah, thing is, a lot of Holmes stories are small-scale cases but it's hard to translate that into a movie I suppose.

That's what was so good about the Brett and Merrison series - they had lots of 45 minute or hour episodes rather than go for a global blockbuster.

But as you say essentially it's entertainment and should be a laugh. I don't think Conan Doyle thought anything different.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 17 Jan 12 23:28
Erskin, I am so glad you came back.....Yes...You wrote some sterling stuff about Shylock......See.....They have tried to keep it quiet!.....Now there are two!......They will see the error of thier ways.....And give us our due credit!!!......HAHAHAAAHAHA!.....Erskin.....Do you have a gun?........

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jan 12 23:45
Ah, arm, the reason I came back is that I never went away.

I was never in the Reichenbach Falls.

I always go to the Goat & Compasses on a Friday night.

Except if it's a full moon. The landlord has hairy ears.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Jan 12 23:46
Besides, it's a waste of time giving a goat a compass. They still get lost.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 18 Jan 12 04:35
Well, I'm quite annoyed...Netflix only has the first series here. I can't get series 2! Is there a site there that has it?

Ellie

Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 18 Jan 12 19:46
Yet to see the Downey/Law Holmes but saw a trailer before Mission Impossible last week and I was not impressed. They seem to have turned it into a steam punk production.

The current TV series I think has got it right for more modern times. It doesn't lose the essentially British nature of the stories and maintains the eccentricity verging on madness of Holmes.

After the stories of which I have two large volumes I usually find the various series and films anticlimactic. I agree though that Jeremy Brett succeeded best with the mad as a box of frogs type Holmes.

As Erskin says the 'Tweedy Buffer' image needs to be shaken off but it is completely in line with the original illustrations of the stories. If the Holmes stories are done in their 19th century context I don't think it matters. How to make a modern Holmes work has been done well by the latest series.

I have to admit though that I find some of the parodies better than the real thing.

Watching paint dry
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 18 Jan 12 19:55
Dunno. Can you access this:

BBC iplayer

Quote: Ellie James

Well, I'm quite annoyed...Netflix only has the first series here. I can't get series 2! Is there a site there that has it?

Ellie

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 18 Jan 12 20:18
EQ - I can't acces it since I'm not in the UK. I tried tricking it by clicking on the link that said I lived in the UK but was having problems accessing it, but it saw through me.

And, Lynton - The American movie with Robert Downey Jr made me want to read the books. And, I can't help but like anything with him in it....because he's good.

I just saw that CBS bought the rights to Sherlock and will set it in NYC....which is sad because it will fail just like everything else. As I'm finding out, the British show has lots of fans here. Someone pointed out to me recently...."But we have a Sherlock here. His name is House and he's doctor."

Ellie

Katarina Frogpond2
Katarina Frogpond2

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 18 Jan 12 20:34 - Edited By: Katarina Frogpond2, 18 Jan 12 20:35
Hello, Ellie. I was going to suggest Iplayer, too. That's a shame you can't get it. What about if you try to tap into BBC America's website. Is there such a site? I know they used to show Dr Who many years ago, and both Dr Who and Sherlock are written by the same writing team.

Oh. Ps. I know how he survived the fall?

2 Pages - [1] 2 »
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum