This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Replacement Hearing aids batteries

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Inchcock
This user is offline Writer
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Oct 11 12:16 - Edited By: Inchcock, 30 Oct 11 12:19
I went to the NHS Audiology Dep't the other day to get some batteries for the hearing aids.

I asked the lady on the desk nicely for some, and saying 'please', and handed her my record book with a smile.

She snapped back; "Is it for one or two aids?!"

Being as she could see I was wearing two hearing aids visibly, I considered saying "It's for three!" but the stare I was getting from her made me wilt, and a little nervous, and was deterred from using any such comments, and replied "For two thank you very much".

The dragon... er.. lady, grabbed the book, filled it in, and threw it back at me along with the hearing aid batteries, and again I thanked her profusely, adding how kind she was.

Thinking how cleverly I'd handled the situation with a bit of sarcasm and a smile, I left feeling well pleased with myself.

As I walked out into the street, I went arse over tit down the wet steps!

There's a moral and or lesson in this tale somewhere....?

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit
Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Oct 11 14:55 - Edited By: Tommy Twinkle, 30 Oct 11 15:32
If a person's getting the hearing aid batteries for free - that's fine.

I used to have a market stall selling small electrical bits and pieces - including cell batteries. The wholesale price, even for the better brand names, is very cheap (very good mark up on them actually!) Hearing aids don't always use the same battery number, but it's often AG3, AG10, or AG13, or equivalent- AG13 is also called LR1ll4 for instance. Lots of people pay through the nose for these cell batteries, by following the 'use only our batteries' warnings. All I'm saying is that at the end of the day the money's coming out of your pockets! Nudge nudge! wink wink! Know what I mean?

PS: Best wishes Inch. At least you now have another chapter to add to those 'Tales of Woe'.

armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Oct 11 15:23
Inch, never turn your back on the enemy!
The old bitch pushed you from behind.

Hope your okay

Love as always

Arm xxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Oct 11 18:11
Tommy,
Thanks for the good wishes. The A13 baterries I get from the audio clinic, seem to last longer than the ones I buy occasionally from Boots or the RNID?

If I keep the Woes in chronological order (as I try to), this episode should appear in about twenty years time... oh, sod it!.. I'll be gone then!

Arm,
I never thought about her (the Dragon) chasing me out and nudging me down the steps... I wonder?

The Impetigo is getting visually interesting now, the mini-boils are spreading all over, including the face. I remind myself of something out of a horror movie! I could get a part as one of the infected in a remake of '28 days' - without make-up!, and having a shave is decidedly dodgy too, never mind the itching!

Thanks again both of you, cheered me up getting a reply.

Inchcock

Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Oct 11 18:19
If it's any consolation, I've fallen on my face 3 times in the past six months, and I'm only 42.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Oct 11 18:24

Quote: Ellie James

If it's any consolation, I've fallen on my face 3 times in the past six months, and I'm only 42.

Ellie

Hotten Gimmel! I'm sorry to hear than. (Well.. read that)

Whatever caused that to happen, should be like a letter... addressed!

I hope you are alright now?

All the very best

Inchcock
x

IainB
This user is offline Gentle with me
IainB

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Oct 11 18:57
I fall over quite regularly, but because I'm a goalkeeper, I laughingly call it diving.

Hope you're going to sue them for having step that get wet when it rains. Terrible design flaw that.

Iain

If 42 is the answer, the question is if 24 looks in the mirror, who does she see?
Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 30 Oct 11 19:36

Quote: IainB

I fall over quite regularly, but because I'm a goalkeeper, I laughingly call it diving.

Hope you're going to sue them for having step that get wet when it rains. Terrible design flaw that.

Iain

Thanks for the advice. But I shan't bother with suing them, Ian, with my record I'd probably get a fine and imprisonment for damaging the Council paving slabs.

Your comment has brought back a memory Ian, I'll have to scan through the Tales of Woe, and see if I've written about the Corpus Christie vs Trent Bridge School football match, I suppose I have done, but you never know. Or should I bother? Anyway it was the only league match I played in for the school, as it was about -10 degrees below freezing and so many real players failed to turn up for the match.

The fools put me goal, we lost 13-0, and I broke me ankle.

Happy days!

Take care.

Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 30 Oct 11 21:19
Keep a look out for the brand name Varta or Ray-O-Vac. Especially Varta - very good quality. Bit dearer than the
cards of batteries from the pound shops but very good quality.

armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 30 Oct 11 21:22

Quote: Inchcock

Tommy,
Thanks for the good wishes. The A13 baterries I get from the audio clinic, seem to last longer than the ones I buy occasionally from Boots or the RNID?

If I keep the Woes in chronological order (as I try to), this episode should appear in about twenty years time... oh, sod it!.. I'll be gone then!

Arm,
I never thought about her (the Dragon) chasing me out and nudging me down the steps... I wonder?

The Impetigo is getting visually interesting now, the mini-boils are spreading all over, including the face. I remind myself of something out of a horror movie! I could get a part as one of the infected in a remake of '28 days' - without make-up!, and having a shave is decidedly dodgy too, never mind the itching!

Thanks again both of you, cheered me up getting a reply.

Inchcock

My 10yr old suffers with it Inch, slightest thing starts it off, especialy a push from a miserable old bastard!

Arm xxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 31 Oct 11 01:06

Iain

Is he really a goal keeper? Because that would explain a lot!

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 31 Oct 11 01:11
Inch- I'm alright now. My face has healed. The first time, I stepped in a small pothole in a parking lot coming out of a retirement party for a friend. It was dark and I was tired.

The second time I was in front of the Modern Art museum and saw a rather handsome guy and tripped on the curb, hit my jaw and it was the type of thing where people made sure I was okay before they started to laugh.

The 3rd time, I was walking around the neighborhood with my daughter and tripped on the sidewalk. I skinned my nose, lip, elbow and knee. And, I had blood all over the place. By far, that one hurt the worse and made my daughter cry as well.

I think the only cure to my complete clumsiness is just to stop walking.

Ellie

Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 31 Oct 11 07:51
Ellie.
I'm so glad to hear of your healing up okay. Let's hope these incidents tail off, and become a memory to laugh about.

I've got to go out to the antiocoagulation clinic tomorrow, a walk of about 1 hour 20 minutes there, again then back, unless it's bad weather, then I'll walk one way, and use my buss pass for the other. (Have to exercise as part of cardiac rehabilitation)

Gawd knows what people must think seeing me hobble and limp along. (Arthritic knees and hands as well!) At least the duodenal ulcer is not bothering me at the moment, and the hernia is not too bad.

Although I'm on my own, approaching senility, and impecunious, and despite my 64 year run of bad luck, I am happier now than I have ever been.

Oh I waffled on there a bit.. sorry.

Loved your US Tests Fish Currency Program by the way!

Take care.

Inchcock
Inchcock

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 31 Oct 11 07:53

Quote: Tommy Twinkle

Keep a look out for the brand name Varta or Ray-O-Vac. Especially Varta - very good quality. Bit dearer than the
cards of batteries from the pound shops but very good quality.

Tommy,

Thanks, I bought some Rayovac batteries from Spec Saver Hearing centre, and they did seem to last longer.

Cheers Sir.

IainB
This user is offline Gentle with me
IainB

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 31 Oct 11 07:59

Iain

Is he really a goal keeper? Because that would explain a lot!

Yes, I really am a goalkeeper, though never any higher than Sunday league, unlike my dad who played semi-pro - hence my interest in non-league football. And it explains quite a lot.

Inch, I played in -10 temps to a few times on pitches so hard it and rutted I finished the game bruised. These Premiership pansies with their heated pitches don't know they're born.

Iain

If 42 is the answer, the question is if 24 looks in the mirror, who does she see?
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 2 Nov 11 21:00
Honest Tom T the battery salesman - 'not a dud amongst them'. honest guv'na. The bloke who sells them on on Hemel Hempstead market, now there's somone I want to see again!

And Inchy I'm going deff meself but not as deaf (or did she actually have super hearing?) as the idiot girl on reception when I went to a meeting once.

Me. 'Morning. I'm Mr Cox, here to see Mrs xyz.

Her: Is that c-o-c-k-s?

Me: 'No dear, it's Cox, c-o-x

Her: 'Sorry sir I thought you said you name was cocks'

Had me giggling all through the bloody meeting

If a person's getting the hearing aid batteries for free - that's fine.

I used to have a market stall selling small electrical bits and pieces - including cell batteries. The wholesale price, even for the better brand names, is very cheap (very good mark up on them actually!) Hearing aids don't always use the same battery number, but it's often AG3, AG10, or AG13, or equivalent- AG13 is also called LR1ll4 for instance. Lots of people pay through the nose for these cell batteries, by following the 'use only our batteries' warnings. All I'm saying is that at the end of the day the money's coming out of your pockets! Nudge nudge! wink wink! Know what I mean?

PS: Best wishes Inch. At least you now have another chapter to add to those 'Tales of Woe'.

Watching paint dry
Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 3 Nov 11 01:02
Hemel Hempstead? Brother had a stall at Bovingdon for a few years. Gave it up after pissed down one Saturday, and returned home with about a thousand penlight batteries in a plastic carrier bag. The cards they'd been stuck onto had all fallen to bits after he'd left them out at the front of the stall trying to take in the pitch rent! Walked in and looking like a drowned rat just said "Don't ask" then went upstairs to his bed!

Hard life market trading - donations will not be refused.

(No Euros...No US dollars...sorry!)

Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 3 Nov 11 01:56

Quote: Lynton

And Inchy I'm going deff meself but not as deaf (or did she actually have super hearing?) as the idiot girl on reception when I went to a meeting once.

Me. 'Morning. I'm Mr Cox, here to see Mrs xyz.

Her: Is that c-o-c-k-s?

Me: 'No dear, it's Cox, c-o-x

Her: 'Sorry sir I thought you said you name was cocks'

Had me giggling all through the bloody meeting

That is really hilarious! It could be a comedy sketch from Saturday Night Live, but better since SNL pretty much has been bad for 15 years.

Ellie

Jean Le Fete
This user is offline Deanalope
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 3 Nov 11 02:21
Yes, but that royal alien family will never be the same

Inch- I'm alright now. My face has healed. The first time, I stepped in a small pothole in a parking lot coming out of a retirement party for a friend. It was dark and I was tired.

The second time I was in front of the Modern Art museum and saw a rather handsome guy and tripped on the curb, hit my jaw and it was the type of thing where people made sure I was okay before they started to laugh.

The 3rd time, I was walking around the neighborhood with my daughter and tripped on the sidewalk. I skinned my nose, lip, elbow and knee. And, I had blood all over the place. By far, that one hurt the worse and made my daughter cry as well.

I think the only cure to my complete clumsiness is just to stop walking.

Ellie

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 3 Nov 11 08:44 - Edited By: Lynton, 3 Nov 11 08:45
Bovingdon - arse end of nowhere and former airfield where the biting wind and rain whip across it in winter. Also, that's why they built a prison nearby; just in case of escapes. It's right next to a very upper crust area so they can equip themselves with a decent getaway car. We have to be kind to prisoners, they are victims of society after all.

Hemel Hempstead? Brother had a stall at Bovingdon for a few years. Gave it up after pissed down one Saturday, and returned home with about a thousand penlight batteries in a plastic carrier bag. The cards they'd been stuck onto had all fallen to bits after he'd left them out at the front of the stall trying to take in the pitch rent! Walked in and looking like a drowned rat just said "Don't ask" then went upstairs to his bed!

Hard life market trading - donations will not be refused.

(No Euros...No US dollars...sorry!)

Watching paint dry
Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 3 Nov 11 15:30
Yep, that's the place Lynton. Wind? I was with me bruvver there one Saturday. Along some of the rows the market had permanent stalls concreted into the ground. Market had to be abandoned about 11am when the wind had buckled up most of the stalls! A stall behind us (not one of those permanently fixed to the ground) flew up in the air, bounced on top of our van, then flew on over our stall to come crashing down just in front of it. Luckily it didn't come down on anyone.
Wise to wear a crash helmet when visiting that market!

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum