This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / That Gaddafi Chap

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Oct 11 10:38
Just been watching the latest news on this. Looks to me like he was caught, beaten, and summarily executed. Still not clear exactly how he died, because the various accounts don't gel.

Some are complaining that he should have been put on trial.

Any thoughts?

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Oct 11 11:11

He was lynched..

Isn't there a subtle or maybe significant difference between that and murder?

Mornin' all

RIP
Tommy Twinkle
This user is offline Writer

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 21 Oct 11 12:15
Many years ago a complete stranger came up to me in the street to say hello, asked how I was, etc. He should have asked me who I was, not how I was! - He had 'got the wrong man'. As soon as I began to speak he realised something wasn't quite right because of my cockney accent - the person he'd thought me to be obviously didn't have a cockney accent. He apologised, but then stood there shaking his head saying I looked exactly like that other person. So it wasn't just that there'd been a resemblance from across the street. Standing face to face with me he was still saying I could have been that person standing there. Luckily I wasn't a hated dictator of a country being confronted by a lynch mob!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the person discovered in that Libyan drainpipe was other than Gadaffi. But what if he had been 'the wrong man', and/or what if that was the intention? It isn't unheard of for politicians/military figures to use decoys. Find perhaps a look-a-like patient found from a mental institute, or drug the decoy up for the 'occasion'. What might such a person then be heard to say to the lynch mob dragging them out from a drainpipe? Perhaps something along the lines of "What have I ever done to you?"

So yes, I feel a trial would have been preferable, and somewhat more civilised. Possibly there would have been some 'behind closed doors' deals and things that had taken place between Gadaffi and the US/Uk during recent years he would have mentioned during his trial. A lot of promises, smiles, and shaking of hands in his tent. Or he might have explained the reasons for why he hadn't decided to remove himself from Libya several months ago. Perhaps he thought better of it after hearing about Mubarak's timely stroke!

Love & Light. TT.

Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 21 Oct 11 12:23
I am almost embarrassed to say, but this is the first I'm hearing of it. I spent yesterday with an asthmatic daughter. I'll have to read more about it.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Oct 11 12:26

Interesting thoughts Tommy..

Seems like this is one of the more definite identifications of a dead dictator, since they've got his body in a freezer van and have taken DNA samples just in case.

Would or could the west have ever taken him to the Hague for trial? I doubt it. The Libyan people would surely have wanted to try him under their own law.

Another burial at sea?

RIP
Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 21 Oct 11 12:49
The burial I understand is to be at 'a secret place'. 'Secrecy'; 'behind closed doors'; 'hidden'; 'away from sight'; It seems that some people are consistent only by their attraction to darkness. Could it be that sunshine hurts their eyes?

Love & Light. TT.

Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 21 Oct 11 19:15
Dunno, cos we dunno what's going on.

What about all his victims?

But should he have been tried? Yes, if at all possible. That's the civilised way. The Nazis got trials, some of them.

He was lynched by a mob. You surely can't condone that. But...

Another dictator meets a sticky end. Live by it, die by it...

Just shows the myth of bringing 'democracy' to these places.

It's all self-interest, the Middle East is our chess-board. Not that I am complaining. The collective karma is convoluted. We all benefit from these stinking shenanigans.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 21 Oct 11 20:18
Well Erskin me old mate, Im sorry no one has bothered posting on your other threads, I thought they were great.

Love as always

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You aint seen me.....right
Rebel Not Taken
Rebel Not Taken

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 21 Oct 11 20:23
Saddam Hussein  - Osama Bin Laden  - Gaddafi  - Roman Abramovich "

Don't clap, just throw money.
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 21 Oct 11 21:58
You liked them, that's enough for me old fruit.

Quote: armfeetandtoe

Well Erskin me old mate, Im sorry no one has bothered posting on your other threads, I thought they were great.

Love as always

Arm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 23 Oct 11 09:55
Any of those who found him could probably cite several good personal reasons to kill him. It would be easy to put it down to a more brutal culture in such countries but I'm not sure it couldn't happen here. At least his family will know what happened to him unlike many others whom he dealt with. That's probably all the justice he deserved in their eyes. Apparently they have his other son in custody and executed the other one. I wonder whether the same will happen to the live one. There are a hundred reasons why the British Government would prefer that, so we won't hold our breaths for an out-cry from that direction.

Watching paint dry

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum