This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Occupy Wall Street

[This topic is LOCKED]

3 Pages - [1] 2 3 »
AuthorMessage
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 8 Oct 11 03:42
Do they have a point?

Or are they just a lazy bunch of work shy soap dodging hippies?

I'd like to think they're people asking questions which require answers.

Where did all the money go?

Just askin'

Skoob.

RIP
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Oct 11 03:53
I think they have a point. They are tired of corporate greed. That's the message I've heard.

Are some of them hipster doofuses who just want to have a good time? Sure. Some of them probably are. But not all of them. Most of them really, I think, want certain things to change.

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 8 Oct 11 04:09
I think most people just want a fair deal.

Clearly, we aren't getting it.

Basically, professional gamblers have dropped us all in the shit, reinforced by people trying to get richer than they already are.

What I want to know, is - when it all goes tits up...why do the people who are so prepared to reap the benefits when the going's good, pull up the ladders and let ordinary people foot the bill for their own self serving greed?

I'm going to turn into a crook. Honesty isn't the best policy.

Where's me sawn off?

Regards

Skoob*

*The above statement was just a joke. I'm not really going to hold up a vending machine. Honest!

RIP
Jean Le Fete
This user is offline Deanalope
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 8 Oct 11 19:20
People are finally responding to the far right. My only surprise is that it has taken so long. I'll be interested to see what Ellie hears from protests in itexas and I will report on things here in iIndy

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Charpa93
This user is offline Writer
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 9 Oct 11 05:03
Hi Jean, Ellie, Skoob,

I have been twice to the Occupy Austin protests in Austin, TX. I want to report first hand that I have met some great people who have had it with losing their retirement savings to crooks, losing their jobs, and not getting a fair shake.

Yeah, there are hippie types there. More power to them. They are doing their own thing. There are grandpas and there are little kids and everyone in between. Anyone who has a chance to attend an occupation should whether they agree with the message or not so they can form their own opinion if it's worth it or not.

My opinion, as one who has been there, is this: It's been a long time coming and I'm glad the revolution has finally begun.

Charpa

Jean Le Fete
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 9 Oct 11 15:10 - Edited By: Jean Le Fete, 9 Oct 11 15:12
Hi Charpa

We've missed you around here! As someone who would've been a hippy if just born a few years earlier, I don't think that is a negative connotation, only Rush Limbaugh types get out of joint over things like that. I plan to go to an organizational meeting here in Indy sometime just to meet and listen to what is really being said. Some on the other side are now saying the Democratic party is instigating this. They are also saying the Tea Party had a clearer message and reasoning. What's more clear than people in positions to make a difference in people's lives AREN'T doing it, nor are they even talking about it. They are talking about reducing environmental controls, getting rid of unions, and basically undoing worker's rights, for their bottom line. The push-back was bound to come. Timing? Seems a little political, but hey so what? So was the Tea Party's timing for being organized for the last election! Good fun!

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 9 Oct 11 16:16 - Edited By: Charpa93, 9 Oct 11 16:17
Hi JLF,

I'm not concerned about the timing. How fed up did we actually have to get. If I were in charge of the timing, I'd have started the revolution long ago. We gave the president and congress a chance and they have blown it. (I'm hoping though they get it now).

You wanna get out? Here's a link to the Occupy Together site. October 15 is a day when people of the world are hitting their cities' events in unison. If you can make it, it's a good thing. Otherwise, there are virtual occupations you can join. Anything helps.

I happy to spread the word. If people don't agree with me. That's fine. Just don't piss on my party, ok? fair enough?

Occupy Together

Jean Le Fete
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 9 Oct 11 16:52
Not concerned either, that's just the disinformation being spread by the right wing pundits...I would've started it a long time ago too, the two party system has issues the way the lack of compromise is going these days, it's ridiculous.

Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 9 Oct 11 17:22
Hey Charpa! I have not been able to attend the Dallas rallies as of yet.I plan on going next weekend. I read on Facebook that they have an "occuplay " tent for kids so you don't have to worry about childcare. Additionally there are some constitutional lawyers who will represent people for free if they get arrested. Although no one has yet. There have been several marches in downtown Dallas so far and they don't plan on leaving.

I am at my parents now in Abilene and there is a story about OWS in their small town paper. And the people who were interviewed were retired school teachers.

Do you have pictures of the Austin rallies?

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 9 Oct 11 18:06 - Edited By: Charpa93, 9 Oct 11 18:06
Hi Ellie,

Next Saturday, 15th is gonna be big worldwide. If you can go then, it will be an experience you won't forget.

I do have pictures. I will send to your e-mail. Meanwhile, you can catch a livestrem feed by going to Occupy Austin. There are also pictures there.

Charpa

Jean Le Fete
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 9 Oct 11 18:42
Occupy Indy footage

Not my footage, I was at a swim meet down south both mornings, but looks like they did get a decent crowd.

Jean Le Fete
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 9 Oct 11 18:44
Doesn't it make an interesting story that the country that is famous for demonstrations in the 50s, 60s and 70s, perhaps gets reminded of the power of organizing from the Arab spring events?

Philbert of Macadamia
This user is offline Historical nutcase
Philbert of Macadamia

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 9 Oct 11 19:52 - Edited By: Philbert of Macadamia, 9 Oct 11 20:25
Hi Charpa:

Sounds just like the folks and issues I observed at Tea Party rallies on the US Capitol lawn prior to the 2010 elections.

President Obama and the left liberal Democrats were ramming ObamaCare etal down the American public's throats, with HS Nancy Pelosi/Congresswoman Slaughter subverting all the Congressional rules!

Sounds like the OccupyWall Street people and the Tea Party have a lot in common. The Obama adminisration is clueless, incompetent and corrupt (Solyndra).

SML Reid continues to subvert the Senate rules to achieve his own ends and blame the Republicans, while his own Democrats won't back the latest Obama "spend the taxpayer money on foolishness again bill!"

A former Democrat,

PoM

Quote: Charpa93

Hi Jean, Ellie, Skoob,

I have been twice to the Occupy Austin protests in Austin, TX. I want to report first hand that I have met some great people who have had it with losing their retirement savings to crooks, losing their jobs, and not getting a fair shake.

Yeah, there are hippie types there. More power to them. They are doing their own thing. There are grandpas and there are little kids and everyone in between. Anyone who has a chance to attend an occupation should whether they agree with the message or not so they can form their own opinion if it's worth it or not.

My opinion, as one who has been there, is this: It's been a long time coming and I'm glad the revolution has finally begun.

Charpa

There is intelligent life in outer space!
Then why do the UFO's not land on the Earth?
As I said, there is intelligent life in outer space!
Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 10 Oct 11 00:40
Hi PoM,

While I'm not going to be able to agree with your politics, I do appreciate that you have joined the debate. I do agree this country is a mess due to failed policies, but to blame one side and not the other, well, can't hop on that ship.

Were you planning on attending any of the protests in your area? Did you join in the Tea Party protests? Just curious.

Charpa

Philbert of Macadamia
Philbert of Macadamia

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 Oct 11 02:03
Hi Charpa:

Yes my observation was first hand at US Capitol Tea Party gatherings. The previously referenced Democratic left wingers HS Pelosi and Congresswoman Slaughter called everybody at the rally racists etc, when she went on TV later. This was an insult to my family and everyone else present at the rally.

Yes the previous Bush administration did government bailouts that should not have occurred as did the Obama administration, as opposed to allowing bankruptcy proceedings to occur.

However, after almost three years the new manager, President Obama, continues to blame the Bush administration. President Obama campaigned and was elected to fix the US economic problems. In my working life, after a suitable period of time a new manager/management team was expected to produce tangible results. If not another new management team would be brought in.

For example, the presidents economic recovery plan was for two years coinciding with the political election mid-term cycle. He should have leveled with the American people that this was not possible and it would take longer, like four years or more. The American people would have understood.

President Obama and his economic team are basically all academics and very left wing ideologically in their thinking, as they keep doing the same economic thing over and over and expect to get different results.

As I told Ellie, I am again violating my own rule on political discussions. This rule is based on previous conversations with an uncivil political left wing loon, SFO, who didnt know when to stop, as he always had to have the last word. Some of the older writers here will remember.

PoM

Hi PoM,

While I'm not going to be able to agree with your politics, I do appreciate that you have joined the debate. I do agree this country is a mess due to failed policies, but to blame one side and not the other, well, can't hop on that ship.

Were you planning on attending any of the protests in your area? Did you join in the Tea Party protests? Just curious.

Charpa

Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 Oct 11 03:19
Here's news for Occupy Fort Worth:

Occupy Cowtown

If someone were to ask me why I'm fed up it's this: I wish the money from lobbyists and corporations would be giving to candidates COMPLETELY anonymously. That way, candidates would just be honest with whatever they REALLY believe. They are all guilty, I'm sure, of doing things based on who has given them the most money. If donations were truly 100% anonymous then we'd all know who the candidates really are and we could vote accordingly. That way, Perry could say "Texas should be it's own country again," and not have to backtrack a few years later when he decides to run for President and say, "Well, I didn't really mean it." (That's probably a bad example, but hopefully you guys get my point.)

I'm all for small business, and I'm also for healthcare. I'm terrified that if the health bill is repealed in the next few years then the pre-existing condition clause will be gone, and then I'll be screwed.

I also think the practice of adding on to bills and making the bill be un-votable, should be completely eliminated! I forget the term for that, but they all do that as well. I don't think the Founding Fathers had this in mind when they wrote the Constitution. I doubt they would think that was a good idea. There was an education bill on the block here in Texas that was voted down because someone threw, out of no where, legislation about handguns. The way laws can be written now, they can write a perfectly great law that would benefit everyone, and then some ass puts a ridiculous rider on it and then no one votes for it.

Philbert of Macadamia
Philbert of Macadamia

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 Oct 11 03:54
Ellie:

I agree with you there should not be any riders/amendments attached to proposed legislation/bills that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject matter of the original bill!

The problem of campaign contributions is a lot more complicated, as is demonstrated each time either political party tries to fix the problem.

Frankly, I want to know who is giving large amounts of money to a candidate of either political party, e.g. both from unions and corporations, which is required by current law.

PoM

Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 10 Oct 11 03:56
Agreed Ellie. Especially the screwed part. I've got my stories.

And PoM, I choose my battles more wisely these days. You are entitled to your opinion and I respect it. Like I said, I can't agree, but I won't deny you the right to voice an opinion. I only hope I receive the same respect back, otherwise, we'd get nowhere fast.

That's about all I think I need to say on the subject.

I'm going back to my Blog now and getting things out of my system there. Just saw this post and liked it.

Peace, folks,

Charpa

Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 10 Oct 11 04:01
Oops, sorry, just one more comment. I think taking money completely out of elections would be a better solution. As it stands now, corporations are buying votes thanks to the recent Supreme Court decision.

I'd like to see our electoral system completely overhauled and candidates have the exact same amount each to get their point across. Maybe donated time by the networks or something. Billions of dollars being spent on elections instead of fixing some of the social needs of our nation is just nuts.

I'm sure I opened a can of worms there PoM. I'll apologize now and let you have at it.

That really is all.

Charpa

Philbert of Macadamia
Philbert of Macadamia

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 10 Oct 11 04:45
Charpa:

First you will find that I will not try to offend you personally. Let me know if you feel differently.

Second you omitted union money buying votes when you mentioned corporations. The Supreme Court ruled both corporations and unions could spend large amounts of money, but must disclose the donors names.

Third I do not want to equally support say a NAZI candidate with my tax money or contributions to level the playing field for all candidates. I am by no means a big donor.

No apology necessary, but let me say the following. I used to believe in limiting candidates to campaign for election to one year prior to election day. Then along came John Edwards, who could have become the vice president of the US if not for the longer period of time the media had to probe into the man.

As far as the social needs we can spend days discussing that issue, e.g. since 1965 the war on poverty has cost the US $16 trillion.

Similarly, infrastructure is another key political issue/football/buzzword that buys votes from unions, but will require trillions of dollars to fix over many decades.

The US has maxed out its credit cards, which any person who runs a household will tell you is not good. Before we spend more on new social or whatever programs, our fiscal house must be straightened out by reducing the national debt.

People would pony up taxes if this money were used for debt reduction, but the American people do not trust Congresses of either party to do this.

Please, by all means Charpa, Ellie I'm all ears for a rational discussion.

Good night all.

PoM

Oops, sorry, just one more comment. I think taking money completely out of elections would be a better solution. As it stands now, corporations are buying votes thanks to the recent Supreme Court decision.

I'd like to see our electoral system completely overhauled and candidates have the exact same amount each to get their point across. Maybe donated time by the networks or something. Billions of dollars being spent on elections instead of fixing some of the social needs of our nation is just nuts.

I'm sure I opened a can of worms there PoM. I'll apologize now and let you have at it.

That really is all.

Charpa

Jean Le Fete
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 Oct 11 01:33
Hi Phil,

My day job has been Community Development for over 20 years, though the last 3 years I've been in youth development. This present economy is so heavily dependent upon the aging infrastructure with the trucking industry, that it really cannot be ignored. Then there is the multi-billion dollar retirement industry of which Florida, most of the other southern states, Arizona, Nevada and California are a part of do to the Baby Boom generation. I'm guessing many of us are part of it, though I am barely at age 49. The part of the infrastructure they have impacted most is drinking water. In Arizona they've built to the point that a major interruption in water would cripple their economy, not to mention Nevada and California, since they all share the same source, the Colorado River. It's not a joke, there is a lot we have ignored over the past 40 years and the War On Poverty and Entitlements from much earlier cannot be blamed. Its a political system that only lives from cycle to cycle with no continuity for planning for the future. That's what I'm pissed about. We should never have gotten to this point. I agree whole heartedly with Charpa about elections. The money should not be spent. If they can cough up millions for conventions that both parties admit are meaningless these days. Polls show that people HATE campaign advertising, yet it has gotten worse. WHAT IS the point? Sure you'll need a way to vet the idiots, but that can be done without spending embarrassing amounts of money that could be put to use some way that is actually needed.

We need to work on things that can be made sustainable, how are we going to transport goods and people in the future, with thousands of diesel guzzling trucks? Bio fuels can't help, natural gas is only a short term fix and we are really only a good World War away from semi-permanently ruining oil production and blowing this ridiculous way of doing things out of the water.

So I guess I agree with you on some things but not others, it really doesn't matter much unless people are willing to start thinking long term and also about the world as a whole, because we can't separate ourselves from it any longer. The one thing I will say is if the working class isn't taken care of better and we continue to let things deteriorate, we'll see protests that make the past few weeks look like picnics. Below is just one state's top infrastructure concerns, my state of Indiana is actually worse in some ways, so I'm not picking on Florida, just thought you might find it interesting.

Florida
Top Three Infrastructure Concerns:

Roads
Mass Transit
Drinking Water
Key Infrastructure Facts
18% of Florida's bridges are structurally deficient or functionally obsolete.
There are 72 high hazard dams in Florida. A high hazard dam is defined as a dam whose failure would cause a loss of life and significant property damage.
Florida's drinking water infrastructure needs an investment of $15.04 billion over the next 20 years.
Florida ranked 21st in the quantity of hazardous waste produced and 17th in the total number of hazardous waste producers.
Florida's ports handled 133 million tons of waterborne traffic in 2005, ranking it 4th in the nation.
Florida reported an unmet need of $8.3 billion for its state public outdoor recreation facilities and parkland acquisition.
13% of Florida's major roads are in poor or mediocre condition.
47% of Florida's major urban highways are considered congested.
Vehicle travel on Florida's highways increased 87% from 1990 to 2007.
Florida has $9.05 billion in wastewater infrastructure needs.
Sources

*Survey of the state's ASCE members conducted in September 2008

Deficient Bridge Report, Federal Highway Administration, 2008.
National Inventory of Dams, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 2008.
Drinking Water Needs Survey and Assessment, Environmental Protection Agency, 2003.
National Biennial RCRA Hazardous Waste Report, Environmental Protection Agency, 2007.
The U.S. Waterway System - Transportation Facts, Navigation Data Center, U.S Army Corps of Engineers, February 2007.
2007 Annual Report, Land and Water Conservation Fund State Assistance Program, National Park Service.
TRIP Fact Sheet, March 2009.
Clean Water Needs Survey, Environmental Protection Agency, 2004.

Other Resources:
Florida Report Card

blockquote]Quote: Philbert of Macadamia

Charpa:

First you will find that I will not try to offend you personally. Let me know if you feel differently.

Second you omitted union money buying votes when you mentioned corporations. The Supreme Court ruled both corporations and unions could spend large amounts of money, but must disclose the donors names.

Third I do not want to equally support say a NAZI candidate with my tax money or contributions to level the playing field for all candidates. I am by no means a big donor.

No apology necessary, but let me say the following. I used to believe in limiting candidates to campaign for election to one year prior to election day. Then along came John Edwards, who could have become the vice president of the US if not for the longer period of time the media had to probe into the man.

As far as the social needs we can spend days discussing that issue, e.g. since 1965 the war on poverty has cost the US $16 trillion.

Similarly, infrastructure is another key political issue/football/buzzword that buys votes from unions, but will require trillions of dollars to fix over many decades.

The US has maxed out its credit cards, which any person who runs a household will tell you is not good. Before we spend more on new social or whatever programs, our fiscal house must be straightened out by reducing the national debt.

People would pony up taxes if this money were used for debt reduction, but the American people do not trust Congresses of either party to do this.

Please, by all means Charpa, Ellie I'm all ears for a rational discussion.

Good night all.

PoM

That really is all.

Charpa

Green Fingered Skinner
Green Fingered Skinner

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 11 Oct 11 02:51 - Edited By: Green Fingered Skinner, 11 Oct 11 14:36
Seriously,

In my opinion, the 'Occupy Wall Street'is going to save the world.

You might reply: "Green Fingered Skinner you are a flawed optimist!

I believe the Occupy Wall Street phenom is a "Call to Arms"; a blowback movement for American citizens to express their displeasure(s) with the conditions we live under, like our dysfunctional government in Washington D.C., the rampant greed of reckless corporations as exploitive and deceitful purveyors of goods and services seeking only profits, blind to the social consequence of their actions, as epitomized by banks on Wall Street.

Sprinkle into this mix of displeasure the stress level of citizens suffering long term high unemployment, the same workers forced to contribute to an unfair taxing system, clouded with endless rules and regulations handed us by a bunch out of touch re-election minded politicians elected to govern, but who for generartions, have failed to serve the people with traditional leadership and foresight.

Thinkers know it is time for change.

'Occupy Wall Street' is a rally point, A passive and peaceful, rally point for political change.

Hurrah for civilization.

Keep it going strong. Feed the fire of peace. Make change happen.

In view of the ongoing Middle East Crisis, the world financial collasp, 'Arab Spring, the multitude of non-functional governments ruined by failed leadership, citizens of the world are tired of the misdirection and the opportunity cost of the failure of it all.

Each of us gets only one life and one lifetime to live.

Unlike the recent riots in the U.K., this movement may turn out to be a spiritual bonanza for people across the world, not a disgrace of distruction by the downtrodden.

"Occupy Wallstreet' is a battle cry of 'Change' via 'Peace'.

In my humble opinion, the media in America remains clueless as media needs headlines to thrive and these demonstrations are non-violent and peaceful, not as of yet 'Newsworthy' and therefore unworthy of proper understanding.

Change is conducive to good. Politics and politicians are the globe must serve the people, not the other way around.

Real change requires time. Leaders across the world need to understand people want peace and freedom, EVERYWHERE!

Humanity needs to update their rules and bylaws -to change for the better, or there maybe no humanity worth saving.

All readers should rally to save the world from itself.

This is, of course, just my opinion. A rant formulated over a cup of hot Lipton tea, by an aged old fool.

God save us all.

GFS

Read. Think. Laugh. Enjoy life. Live longer!
Charpa93
Charpa93

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
 Website
Posted: 11 Oct 11 03:52 - Edited By: Charpa93, 11 Oct 11 03:53
PoM, JLF and GFS,

Wish I were as articulate as you. I've not yet formulated exactly everything I want to say here as it's too close to my heart.

I know there is an ideological difference, but I'm sure we are all hoping for the same thing, a country where everyone has a fighting chance at dignity and a good life. Nothing more, nothing less.

Working on my own list of "I want to wake up to an America where..." list.

Perhaps if everyone, on both sides, finished that sentence, it would be a good start.

Here's mine: I want to wake up to an America where there is no poverty.

Idealistic when we're faced with a much different reality? Sure. But I believe this is a rich universe and there is enough for all. It's the greed that holds us back.

I'm going to continue to show up in solidarity with those who have the same thoughts. For me, it's just the right thing to do.

Charpa

Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 11 Oct 11 04:00
I want to wake up in an America where there is peace.

Green Fingered Skinner
Green Fingered Skinner

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 11 Oct 11 14:50
After posting my rant yesterday, I turned on my TV and watched as the media displayed a policeman clubbed his authority over some man on the street, in some city.

This is the true price of peace.

I am so old, I remember the peace marchers lead by Dr. Martin Luther King, back in the 1960's. Also, I remember the anti-war protestors during the late 1960's too.

Change did come from these events. Many innocents paid the price for these freedoms, both in Vietnam and on the streets of America.

Again, Americans are forcing Americans to conform to the will of some authority, spilling blood on the streets in hopes that force will fail and change will evolve.

I want to live in an America that will still be the beacon of liberty well into the next century.

Read. Think. Laugh. Enjoy life. Live longer!

3 Pages - [1] 2 3 »
Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum