This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Who the hell does Mark think he is?

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
armfeetandtoe
This user is offline Writer
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 25 Sep 11 19:45 - Edited By: armfeetandtoe, 25 Sep 11 21:09
Thank you, Lynton and SKOOB

You aint seen me.....right
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 25 Sep 11 20:00
Arm,

Not a wise move mate. If you get banned or suspended, how are you going to find out the details of the meet-up?

We all flare up and act on impulse or outraged indignation at times, and you're no different. I propose you edit your post and offer an apology.

Hopefully that should sort things.

Good lad.

Your mate,

Skoob.

RIP
armfeetandtoe
armfeetandtoe

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 25 Sep 11 20:13 - Edited By: armfeetandtoe, 25 Sep 11 21:10
Understood Mate xx

You aint seen me.....right
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 25 Sep 11 20:41 - Edited By: Lynton, 25 Sep 11 20:48
Arm I'm emailing you. Just remember superior man-management skills can only be developed with age and experience.

Watching paint dry
Mark
This user is offline Spoofer-in-Chief
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 26 Sep 11 07:15
Just so everyone's aware of what caused arm to get himself banned, I wrote him the following message because he was consistently misspelling words in his articles:

Hi arm,

Noticed you're having a hard time with spelling.

One recurring error is words with 'ie' or 'ei' in the middle, like 'their' and 'receive'.

A sure-fire rule to follow is I before E except after C. It's got lots of exceptions, but it should steer you right most of the time.

Contemporary web browsers usually have a built-in spell checking function, you can google it for your web browser.

Failing that, you might be better off writing your articles in a word-processing software package first, then copying it in to The Spoof. OpenOffice has a free word processor included.

Cheers,

Mark

Try to help a guy out and what thanks do you get, eh? You get called a cunt.

God bless him.

Spoofing all over the world
Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 26 Sep 11 07:35
Leave the place for 2 seconds and the War of the Roses part III breaks out, tut, tut!

Monkey nutter...
Nick Hobbs
Nick Hobbs

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 08:11
..I think you'll find you were called an 'arse cunt', Mark!

Whatever one of those is....

Satisfying the bloodlust of the masses in peacetime!
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 16:46
I find a distinct lack of tact and thoughtlessness in your note to Arm. Were you more sensitive you might realise that he might have dyslexic tendencies and also be very aware of them without you adding to his existing self-consciousness.

Remember Mark you know NOBODY who writes here you have no idea what brings them here or why they write. You should take much more care in your approaches to people in the future.

Perhaps you don't like what I have to say or think I am being patronising - in that case ask yourself why it upsets you and taste for yourself some of what you gave to Arm by way of self-serving justification.

You could of course take the juvenile, insensitive and easy way out and ban me. But like you I have reserved (in this case only) my right to make a judgement based on what you have written. It might not be 100% right 100% of the time about you but it serves to describe the way you have behaved in this instance toward someone who is essentially guilt-free. You could of course take the honourable route and make your apologies to him.

And Nick Hobbs keep your snout out - I never could stand sneaks

Quote: Mark

Just so everyone's aware of what caused arm to get himself banned, I wrote him the following message because he was consistently misspelling words in his articles:

Hi arm,

Noticed you're having a hard time with spelling.

One recurring error is words with 'ie' or 'ei' in the middle, like 'their' and 'receive'.

A sure-fire rule to follow is I before E except after C. It's got lots of exceptions, but it should steer you right most of the time.

Contemporary web browsers usually have a built-in spell checking function, you can google it for your web browser.

Failing that, you might be better off writing your articles in a word-processing software package first, then copying it in to The Spoof. OpenOffice has a free word processor included.

Cheers,

Mark

Try to help a guy out and what thanks do you get, eh? You get called a cunt.

God bless him.

Watching paint dry
Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:04

Good grief!

I hadn't appreciated Arm had actually been banned...

Let's hope it's a simple 24 hour suspension.

A fair enough and well deserved rap across the knuckles.

To teach the lovely twaddock he really can't go around posting headlines like that every time someone tries to give him a decent bit of proper advice..

Like wot Mark did.

Arm isn't a problem on the Spoof..

We should reserve draconian measures for those who truly deserve.. IMHO

regards

CJ

RIP
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:12
An ill-considered rap on the knuckles and somewhat out of character for Mark. Those of us with much more experience dealing with people of different types over many years would have been a lot less hasty to make judgements about people.

Watching paint dry
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:17
I just had an email from arm and by the tone of it he was really upset.

I don't think there's any doubt that what arm did was wrong, and I don't think there's any doubt that Mark found it deeply unpleasant.

Arm's not usually a source of unpleasantness on the site - he's one of those guys who genuinely writes for the fun of it and the cameraderie he gets here.

I'd suggest that all parties think this through, and come to an amicable solution, before it gets beyond the point of no return.

And I absolutely agree with Lynton that a well intentioned remark or comment can hit a raw nerve, and then tempers get frayed.

Mark and Arm both seem like reasonable blokes - surely something amicable can be worked out.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Colonel Juan
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:23

Quote: Lynton

and somewhat out of character for Mark.

Point taken Lynton..

Sure.. This is the fantasy world of the internet..

Where most of us never get to meet...

But Mark is also a euphemism for The Boss..

So whatever or whoever.. Arm simply has to respect that..

Regards

CJ

RIP
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:26
And anyway...there's only one proper cunt on this site, and that's me.

See how I deal with cyber bullying on you tube. I'd just put it up there and then all this kicked off.

It's a lecture about internet protocol, being stuck for words, being cyber bullied, drinking Lucozade cunningly disguised as Belgian lager, and smoking fags.

I've no idea where they put it, but it's on there somewhere.

Don't tell me about cyber-bullying...I get it all the time.

Actually, I rather enjoy it.

Martin Shuttlecock.

RIP
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:28
Furthermore Arm removed his first hasty comment from the forum. If someobody is going to get banned because he gives Mark a piece of his mind, as it seems now by Marks comment, via the PM system, we should be careful to agree with Mark at all times. If I had received that from Arm I would have gone out of my way to not cause a problem. Receiving such an OTT reply indicates that Mark's comments, well-intentioned though they may have been,hit a raw spot which he should have been determined to clarify. Banning as CJ says is for ersistent trouble makers. Banning is also an easy way out for those who seek the gratification of instant retribution, being too lazy to find out what the real problem might have been.

Having given him one spelling lesson it seems to me that Mark is now obliged to make this a regular lesson if he really is so sensitive about Arm's spelling. That, or allow corrections to be made in approval where everyone can take a share of the work.

Watching paint dry
Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:33

I find a distinct lack of tact and thoughtlessness in your note to Arm.

I thought my message was light-hearted enough that it would be difficult for it to be taken the wrong way.

I didn't intend it to be insensitive to discount dyslexia. I had considered that possibility and thought it was better to not make any reference to it.

Suggesting someone use a spell checker is only words of help and encouragement, especially, as in this case, the writer is struggling to produce items which are worthy of publication.

At least four other writers have condemned his work rather strongly in the approval centre, and I have been correcting them as best I could. After the sixth story, I felt it necessary to give arm a nudge towards spell-checkers.

I appreciate I could have approached this a little more softly, but from my perspective, it was a very friendly and helpful message. The reaction it provoked was totally out of line.

Why would I want to ban you Lynton? Your argument is perfectly reasonable. If you were to tell me to "Fuck off you arrogant cunt! who the fuck do you think you are?", I might react differently.

Mark
Mark

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Email
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:38 - Edited By: Mark, 26 Sep 11 17:39

Banning is also an easy way out for those who seek the gratification of instant retribution, being too lazy to find out what the real problem might have been.

Meh. You're right. I didn't think it through and reacted too strongly. My initial response was to reply to arm's PM reply, but then when I saw what had transpired on the forum, I felt he had pushed the limit.

But, I appreciate that my message obviously hit a raw nerve and I apologise for not reacting in a more forgiving way.

Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 26 Sep 11 17:42
Right.

I had a message from arm.

He wants to write, and he wants to write on the Spoof. He's ready to apologise, so now it's Mark's call regarding how he takes that overture.

I hope it can be apologies, handshakes and a drink in the Oasis Bar and Grill.

Everybody goes a bit OTT sometimes.

Except me....

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Colonel Juan
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 26 Sep 11 18:00

QUOTE: Tom Stoppard..

There's and old Canadian proverb...

handed down from the Bladfoot Indians..

which goes :-

They who laugh last, laugh longest...

RIP
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 18:03
If he does have dyslexia, have him email me. It's what I do all day long...teach people who have dyslexia. I can give him loads of resources that he might not be aware of.

Ellie

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 18:09
Hopefully a satisfactory resolution to the problem. Thank you one and all particularly Mark.

I will say again that if people with problems such as dyslexia wish to express themselves here then they should be allowed to do so. I have less trouble with bad spelling than I do crap stories. We could all help out by contributing to Quality Assurance if we could correct spelling errors at the approval stage. I doubt whether Arm is the only one guilty of this because I have seen it from others too.

Watching paint dry
Nick Hobbs
Nick Hobbs

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 18:59

And Nick Hobbs keep your snout out - I never could stand sneaks

Actually Lynton, I have never been, nor ever intend to be a sneak.

It was merely an (on reflection) ill timed comment. I also hadn't fully taken in the beginning of Marks post that said he'd been banned.

If I had I would have stayed well out, as I do with most of the bullshit on here.

When I did notice, I decided not to edit it, as I'm a believer in leaving things as they are, and not trying to cover up one's mistakes.

I apologise if this has caused any offence to you or (more importantly Arm).

But I'm still no fuckin' sneak, stand it or not!

Thankyou.

Satisfying the bloodlust of the masses in peacetime!
Lynton
Lynton

Forum Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 19:22 - Edited By: Lynton, 26 Sep 11 19:25
Sorry Nick, my comment was unfair I was a bit hot under the collar. Sorry again I'll keep it shut or try to control it as best I can..

Watching paint dry
Jean Le Fete
This user is offline Deanalope
Jean Le Fete

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 26 Sep 11 23:36
"Peace is a very complicated concept. When the lion gobbles up the lamb and wipes his lips, then there's peace. Well, I ain't for that peace at all."
- Abbie Hoffman
Source: The Sixties - by Richard Avedon
"The best way to destroy an enemy is to make him a friend."
- Abraham Lincoln
"Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift."
- Albert Einstein
"The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking."
- Albert Einstein
"Any man that walks the mead
In bud, or blade, or bloom, may find
A meaning suited to his mind."
- Alfred Lord Tennyson
"Courage is the price that Life exacts for granting peace. "
- Amelia Earhart
"And yet, when I look up to the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too shall end, that peace and tranquility will return once more."
- Anne Frank
"A peaceful one realizes where the river flows, Regardless of the speed, regardless of the deed. A peaceful one senses truth in the air without a flare, for the vision is always there. A peaceful one raises his hand when the word is uttered to awaken a vibration in the atmosphere, A peaceful one is a courageous one who heeds the voice of Truth.
"
- Anon Ymous
Source:
"Surely a man needs a closed place wherein he may strike root and, like the seed, become. But also he needs the great Milky Way above him and the vast sea spaces, though neither stars nor ocean serve his daily needs. "
- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
"The family is the nucleus of civilization."
- Ariel and Will Durant
"Happiness belongs to the self-sufficient."
- Aristotle
"Happiness depends upon ourselves."
- Aristotle
"Evolution: that last step was a doozy!"
- Astrid Alauda
"Those, who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. "
- Benjamin Franklin
"Peace comes within the souls of men when they realize their oneness with the universe."
- Black Elk
"The first peace, which is the most important, is that which comes within the souls of people when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the universe dwells the Great Spirit, and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.
"
- Black Elk (1863-1950)
"People today are still living off the table scraps of the sixties. They are still being passed around - the music and the ideas."
- Bob Dylan
"Well, the future for me is already a thing of the past."
- Bob Dylan
"We should really love each other in peace and harmony, instead we're fussin' n fighting like we ain't supposed to be."
- Bob Marley
"Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind."
- Buddha
"Peace comes from within, do not seek it without."
- Buddha
"A warless world will come as men develop warless hearts."
- Charles Wesley Burns
"A happy life consists in tranquillity of mind."
- Cicero
"One joy dispels a hundred cares."
- Confucius
"Nothing is more precious than peace. Peace is the most basic starting point for the advancement of humankind.
"
- Daisaku Ikeda
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."
- Dalai Lama
"There are brave souls who dare to dream that men are brothers and not foes. That hands may clasp across the seas, to common good, to common woes."
- Dr. Bronner
Source: Castille Soap Bottle (Seriously)
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
"I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
"
- Dwight D. Eisenhower
"I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it."
- Dwight Eisenhower
"We are one global familyAll colors, All racesOne world united.We dance for peace and the healing of our planet EarthPeace for all nations.Peace for our communities.And peace within ourselves.As we join all dance floors across the world,let us connect heart to heart.Through our diversity we recognize Unity.Through our compassion we recognize Peace.Our love is the power to transform our worldLet us send it outNOW..."
- Earthdance
Source: Earthdance
"Dreams are today's answers to tomorrow's questions."
- Edgar Cayce
"Let us love the world to peace."
- Eileen Elias Freeman
"There is no need to go to India or anywhere else to find peace. You will find that deep place of silence right in your room, your garden or even your bathtub. "
- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
"Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries."
- Elizabeth Barrett Browning
"Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough. "
- Emily Dickinson
"Five great enemies to peace inhabit with us: avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride. If those enemies were to be banished, we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace. "
- Francesco Petrarch
"Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances."
- Gandhi
"If we are to teach real peace in this world, and if we are to carry on a real war against war, we shall have to begin with the children."
- Gandhi
"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."
- Gandhi
"To know someone here or there with whom you can feel there is understanding in spite of distances or thoughts expressed ~ That can make life a garden."
- Goethe
"Peace comes from being able to contribute the best that we have, and all that we are, toward creating a world that supports everyone. But it is also securing the space for others to contribute the best that they have and all that they are.

"
- Hafsat Abiola
"The true harvest of my daily life is somewhat as intangible and indescribable as the tints of morning or evening. It is a little star dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched. "
- Henry David Thoreau
"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
- Henry David Thoreau
"Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peaceably, and unite your hearts."
- Hopi
"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist."
- Indira Gandhi
"I take it that what all men are really after is some form of, perhaps only some formula of, peace. "
- James Conrad
"When the rich wage war, it's the poor who die."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
"Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life. And everyone deserves a little sunshine. "
- Jeffrey Glassberg
"Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they shall be called the Children of God."
- Jesus
"When you make your peace with authority, you become authority."
- Jim Morrison
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix
"I am not here as a public official, but as a citizen of a troubled world who finds hope in a growing consensus that the generally accepted goals of society are peace, freedom, human rights, environmental quality, the alleviation of suffering and the rule of law."
- Jimmy Carter
"Peace hath higher tests of manhoodThan battle ever knew."
- John Greenleaf Whittier
"A thing of beauty is a joy forever."
- John Keats
"All we are saying is - Give peace a chance!"
- John Lennon & Yoko Ono
"As every flower hath its sweet smell, so every good action hath its sweet reflection upon the soul."
- John Trapp
"Your life is an island separated from all other islands and continents. Regardless of how many boats you send to other shores or how many ships arrive upon your shores, you yourself are an island separated by its own pains, secluded in its happiness."
- Kahil Gibran
"If there is to be peace in the world,
There must be peace in the nations.

If there is to be peace in the nations,
There must be peace in the cities.

If there is to be peace in the cities,
There must be peace between neighbors.

If there is to be peace between neighbors,
There must be peace in the home.

If there is to be peace in the home,
There must be peace in the heart."
- Lao Tsu
"Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river."
- Lao Tzu
"If you want to be happy, be."
- Leo Tolstoy
"Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind."
- M.K. Gandhi
"Nonviolence in politics is a new weapon in the process of evolution; its vast possibilities are yet unexplored."
- M.K. Gandhi
"Nonviolence is an unchangeable creed. It has to be pursued even in face of violence raging around you."
- M.K. Gandhi
"An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind."
- Mahatma Gandhi
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools. "
- Martin Luther King
"The hope of a secure and livable world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood."
- Martin Luther King
"Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal."
- Martin Luther King
"We still have a choice today: nonviolent coexistence or violent co-annihilation. This may well be mankind's last chance to choose between chaos and community."
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
"In my view, humanism relies on reason and compassion. Reason guides our attempt to understand the world about us. Both reason and compassion guide our efforts to apply that knowledge ethically, to understand other people, and have ethical relationships with other people. "
- Molleen Matsumura
"The Art of Peace is medicine for a sick world. There is evil and disorder in the world because people have forgotten that all things emanate from one source. Return to that source and leave behind all self-centered thoughts, petty desires, and anger. Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything."
- Morihei Ueshiba
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."
- Mother Teresa
"Peace begins with a smile."
- Mother Theresa
"If they want peace, nations should avoid the pin-pricks that precede cannon shots."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
"Happiness is a butterfly, which when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."
- Nathaniel Hawthorne

It's not that I can't help these people it's just, I don't want to. - Tom Hanks - Volunteers
Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 27 Sep 11 17:52
Jesus!!!

Monkey nutter...

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum