This forum does not allow guest posting. You must register to participate in this forum.

Messages ordered by earliest posts first
All times are GMT

Forum Home / General Discussion / Liberia, The Riots, And Shooting At Kids

[This topic is LOCKED]

AuthorMessage
Skoob1999
This user is offline Caretaker
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 13 Aug 11 15:08 - Edited By: Skoob1999, 13 Aug 11 15:10
Had to open this in a separate thread, but what it boils down to, is that my esteemed colleague, Tommy, who has every right to express his opinions and concerns, feels that it would be wrong to allow the police to employ baton rounds in civil disorder situations in case kids get hit.

Understandable point of view, and I can see where Tommy is coming from.

I opened a seperate thread on this, because it's a separate issue.

In my opinion, if a ten year old is part of a mob attacking police and property, it's tough shit if they get hit with a baton round.

Not all kids are innocent.

In Liberia there were ten year old kids, drunk and drugged up, running loose with AK 47's shooting anything that moved.

In Colombia, gangs of primary school age kids routinely rob and strip anybody daft enough to get in their way.

Not all kids are sweet and innocent - some of them are evil little bastards, and they understand that they're protected by law.

They're free to dole out abuse to people going about their business, but if you lash out - you're the one in trouble.

Just sayin'

Skoob.

RIP
Colonel Juan
This user is offline El quien ose, sátirisa
Colonel Juan

Forum Profile
 Website
Posted: 13 Aug 11 15:31

I'm with Skoob on this..

Kids are everything.. they're our future..

But a rioting thief of a kid deserves everything it gets..

Clip round the ear.. kick up the arse..

any proportional (no guns) sort of English smacking.. whatever

Yeah.. whatever..

It's about the only bloody language they'll ever understand..

RIP
Ellie James
This user is offline Moderator
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Aug 11 20:36
I am a teacher, and I know that some kids are shits. I adopted my daughter from Guatemala, and the vast majority of kids run wild in the dumps because it's a poor country that can't, for the most part, take care of it's children. She's 5 now and is very charasmatic and intelligent. If she had grown up there, she might very well be the leader of some girl gang as a teenager. She is the type of person people gravitate to, and I thank God daily that she's with me.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is a difference between a child sociopath who will grow up to be a serial killer, and a child who lacks direction because no one is teaching him/her right from wrong. I've only been in contact with one potential sociopath in all my teaching years...he scared the crap out of me. He killed cats, never smiled, stabbed kids with scissors and showed no remorse.

Those gangs of kids in Rio are just kids, for the most part, who don't have parents. They are street kids, and they turn to crime as a means of survival. Not all of them, I'm sure. But a vast majority. Should they be punished? Yes.

So, if your a cop in riot gear and you see little kids, it must have been very difficult because a lot of those police officers have kids of their own. I did read yesterday on CNN that David Cameron has invited the former police commissioner of NYC to come and evaluate the police force and see what could have been done differently. (Oddly, he's doing it for free....not very capitalistic of him.)

I'm all for a good protest, but rioting is different. And from what I can tell, this wasn't a protest.

I have read that some parents who had seen their kids rioting made them turn themselves in, and I have to commend them because that must have been very hard to do.
I would like to think I would have done the same thing despite the fact she would hate me for many years to come.

There are some kids, who I imagine are greedy shits who feel they are intitled to anything. (The girl who was chosen to be an Olympic ambassador, etc) Where were those parents? I can't imagine not knowing where my kid is, while I know it can happen because I was a kid and my parents didn't always know where I was.

The society we have created is getting to be a very sad place. A society where it's beneath certain people to go to the day labor center and mow lawns all day to feed your family. If I lost my job, I'd be cleaning houses. It wouldn't be beneath me. Sadly, for many, it's beneath a vast majority, and it's those same people here in the US who complain about Mexicans taking away American jobs.

I hope they all learned their lesson, and I wish it had never happened. It's odd though that it doesn't happen here more often because we definately have our fair load of shits!

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 13 Aug 11 20:59
Ellie,

As long as we have people like you around, the world stands a chance.

My grandaughter is half Jamaican and lives in south east London and when my wife spoke to her mum last night, she was outside at the back gate. That was at eleven pm.

I told her that if she was my daughter I'd have given her a solid kick up the arse.

Parents need to take responsibility.

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Erskin Quint
This user is offline Writer
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 13 Aug 11 22:37 - Edited By: Erskin Quint, 13 Aug 11 22:44
Gosh this is serious stuff.

However, it comes down to common sense. There has been and will be endless hours of blether about this, then eventually it will be forgotten, having been replaced by the latest pseudo-apocalypse.

But common sense tells you it's all basic human nature. Take a good look at the human being, what it is. I mean look properly. Avoid all the usual shite - politics, religious dogma, sociology, personal baggage - and just look.

Then when you see the human being - a wonderful creature with enormous, world-creating potential, but still stuck in a kind of adolescent tormented limbo, halfway between an ape and an angel - then try and work out the best way for him to go about his business.

If the human being has no sense of what's beyond his own little world, then disaster ensues. The benefit of proper religion is that it instills an awe, a wonder, and a sense of selfless regard for the rest of the world, a need to look to and help others. A keen notion of a responsibility to use the powers we have been given for good.

I don't think as a society we have ever attained that dimension. The culture doesn't believe in anything except what's in front of it's fervid materialistic nose. I'm not saying the past was great.

We're not just animals any more. We've left behind the 'Eden' of living in an environmental niche, driven by instincts, just being a part of an environment. Not having to make decisions, just living to exist.

But what have we become?

Actually, I think we aren't anything, yet. We have stopped being a genuine animal, with a genuine role to play in the world. Things like bees, birds, these play a key role. Sadly they are being destroyed by us (which is all to the point).

So we are not an animal any more. What then are we? Nowt, at present. We have nothing to offer the world.

All we are doing is using the world up, burning the world up to fulfil our fantasies.

In this state - this limbo, this adolescent in-between hybrid unnatural state - we have a choice.

We can strive to rise above, to use our great powers and fantastic opportunity, to have vision.

Or we can just be a very cunning, fast, hyper-capable unnatural evolutionary freak of an animal that uses its power to fuck everything up.

At present we are tending to the latter. That means lots of thrills and spills. It means US culture. Football. Personal computers.

It also means world wars, the destruction of the Amazon rainforest, Pol Pot.

And it means a culture with Wayne Rooney for a hero, in which we are governed by rich people with no experience of real life, and in which befuddled despairing fools trash their own communities for a cheap thrill.

What we need are leaders with vision. Not third-rate public-school ponces full of shit.

What we need are communities with the kind of spirit that gets you through disasters. Not shitholes populated by thick cunts who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire.

What we need is a lot less ego-driven bullshit.

Do you see what I am trying to say here?

I might be insane. I might be right.

I'm just trying to think outside the box.

Do we wait for Dave and Nick to sort it out or do we just look and see what's out there and try to do the right thing in our own life.

To drill down to the question at issue - the culture has spawned a lot of kids who have no respect or awe any more. Some right little shits. It's part of the culture.

I don't blame the kids for being what the culture has made them.

Well, actually, I do. They should think for themselves, as a lot of them do.

We're all to blame, for - however passively or unconsciously - allowing a society that is driven by technology rather than using the technology. We have no control over the technology, it is controlling us.

That's why we have a world with wonderful medical advances but also economic and social chaos, with a sense of helplessness in the face of constant change and globalism.

And also a culture with apparently great materialistic power, fostering a gigantic cockiness which is fed through to the kids. No wonder they think they can do and get everything they want. We tell them that every fucking day.

God is a joke. Who gives a fuck?

That's what the culture is saying.

If we are in the situation where riots are likely to erupt again then suitably arming the police and letting everybody know they've been armed may well be a good way to deal with it. I don't know.

But we've still got to work out what we are going to do with ourselves. That responsibility goes with having all the powers that we have got.

There's no getting away from that.

Try to get away from that and we fuck everything up.

I think we haven't yet managed to evolve so as to avoid being fucked up by huge societies. The best behaviour is by individuals in small groups. Huge societies bring benefits but also a lot of shite such as we are talking about.

Anyway, I hope this gives food for thought.

What a gay day.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Skoob1999
Skoob1999

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 14 Aug 11 00:55
Wise words Erskin.

Utopia?

As much as I'd love to believe in the concept, it'll never happen.

As long as we worship a bunch of useless pricks with zero moral values, we'll never get anywhere.

People aspire to that because they're either too stupid, or too conditioned to think for themselves.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever see Utopia. It just isn't going to happen. If I sound fatalistic here, again, it's based on experience.

Every New Year's Eve I pray for peace on earth...it never happens. Some fuckwit starts a war or runs amok with a gun.

The only solution lies within ourselves. We have to stop hating.

Being human, that's easier said than done.

As the esteemed Sherlock Holmes may well have said:

"This is a three pipe problem Watson."

Regards

Skoob.

RIP
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 14 Aug 11 02:15
Thanks Skoob for the compliment. I try hard to be a good mom. As all parents know, it's not always a walk in the park.

And Erskin, very well said.

I don't know if we should have Utopia as that might be completely boring, especially for those of us who like making commentaries and spoof things.

Although, I agree with you that technology has taken on a new meaning. Greed has taken over, and most everyone strives to be faster, better, etc. Then, hopefully, like the former Microsoft exec who realized he wasn't happy after all and used his money to set up foundations to bring books and school to impoverished nations, one by one, things will change. I hope...

And, definately, above all, we should all stop hating!

Oh. They've encased him in Carbonite. He should be quite well protected. If he survived the freezing process, that is.
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 14 Aug 11 02:44
It's time the Queen scolded those young hooligans.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 14 Aug 11 14:54
Another classic - Thoughts Of Chairman Victor.

Quote: victor nicholas

It's time the Queen scolded those young hooligans.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 15 Aug 11 14:49
Terrific article in The Mail today (scroll down to TONY SEWELL 'Don't howl Starkey down').

Tommy Twinkle

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 15 Aug 11 14:49 - Edited By: Tommy Twinkle, 15 Aug 11 14:55
Terrific article in The Mail today (scroll down to TONY SEWELL 'Don't howl Starkey down').

(I've done it again - submitted twice. Anyone know what I need to do to remove the repeat when it happens?)

Jaggedone
This user is offline Warning: Sharp edges
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 15 Aug 11 15:48
Missed this pretty serious thread, Erskine, Skoob, Ellie, etc, excellent input.

I had my threepence worth over in Mag and as far as I'm concerned that was enough said.

One thing is sure though; everybody is basically, collectively to blame because as soon as one puts a cross on a ballot sheet and votes for the morons, then that person is also guilty (in the deeper sense), food for thought maybe?

Monkey nutter...
Ellie James
Ellie James

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Aug 11 01:16
Strange thing is, there was something in Philidelphia that happened (I think) the same night as the news was breaking out here about the London Riots. Some gangs of kids were causing problems. I can't remember what the article said exactly because I was at work and was supposed to be paying attention to my boss.

A church leader basically said was your PM is saying....kid's without fathers, parents who can't parent, schools that suck, etc.

It's happening all over the world. And, I agree with what Jag says...we're all a bit to blame. Perhaps we're all somewhat complacent or busy.

I read a quote the other week in a book, and it went something like this:
It may not be possible to change the whole world, but it's possible to change the parts around you.

However, that being said, there is a six year old little boy from my parent's home town in treatment for lukemia who is raising money to build water wells in Africa. How amazing is that? He's a sick little boy having chemo and he's thinking of others across the world instead of himself.

Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 16 Aug 11 15:21
EJ, perfect example of hope; unfortunately they're in a minority. The rest of the world has gone egoistically bananas.

Just recently in India and observed the sickness catching on there too + China of course. It aint looking good mate!

Monkey nutter...
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Aug 11 19:15
Don't think I mentioned Utopia.

Never be built of material anyway. In the mind yes.

But, if we don't aim for the higher, we'll screw up. That is my belief.

Evidence is everywhere.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 16 Aug 11 19:17

Quote: Ellie James

I don't know if we should have Utopia as that might be completely boring, especially for those of us who like making commentaries and spoof things.

So our very attempts to "spoof" things come from a desire for something better.

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Aug 11 02:57
I think so.

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Jaggedone
Jaggedone

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
 Website
Posted: 17 Aug 11 15:30 - Edited By: Jaggedone, 19 Aug 11 12:32
correct EQ and VC, of course we aspire towards a better world; that'the reason why we here take the piss out of the present one.

Monkey nutter...
Nae mair crap

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Aug 11 21:07
As EQ wrote,

"The culture doesn't believe in anything except what's in front of it's fervid materialistic nose. I'm not saying the past was great."

I agree completely.

It helps to be a little odd - to get even
victor nicholas
This user is offline Doc
victor nicholas

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 17 Aug 11 23:35 - Edited By: victor nicholas, 17 Aug 11 23:36
What would Jonathan Swift expect from us?

"Vottznewpuzzykatt?"
Erskin Quint
Erskin Quint

Forum Profile
 Writer's Profile
Posted: 18 Aug 11 19:44
Yes Victor, the times call for a modern Jonathan Swift. Humour, creativity and savage irony are called for.

Quote: victor nicholas

What would Jonathan Swift expect from us?

SERIOUS ABOUT DRIVEL

Any opinions expressed here are purely the opinions of the contributors and are not necessarily the opinions of The Spoof, its staff or the original writer of the spoof news/parody/satire story.

Go to top

Forum permissions

You are not logged in.

• You cannot create new topics in this forum